Great Covers that may be better than originals

Lucky

A thread inspired by our Top Ten of the same name. Youtube makes this one easy, but feel free to post or discuss in whatever way you wish!

I'll start with a three-fer:

Love Hurts ~ The Everly Brothers (the 1950's original)

Love Hurts ~ Gram Parsons & Emmylou Harris ('60's)

Love Hurts ~ Nazareth ('70's)

Three totally different takes on the same song. The Parsons/Harris version is my favorite, but I love Nazareth's too!

• Replies 414
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Personally I think this song is one of the most important songs of all time, not like "Imagine" or "Stairway To Heaven" but a different way I can't really describe....

Here's is the original version....

Love Will Tear Us Apart - Joy Division

And a cover by The Cure....

Love Will Tear Us Apart - The Cure

And I already hated this band, but this cover gave me more of a reason....

Love Will Tear Us Apart - Fall Out Boy

Tell me what you think....

A thread inspired by our Top Ten of the same name. Youtube makes this one easy, but feel free to post or discuss in whatever way you wish!

I'll start with a three-fer:

Love Hurts ~ The Everly Brothers (the 1950's original)

Love Hurts ~ Gram Parsons & Emmylou Harris ('60's)

Love Hurts ~ Nazareth ('70's)

Three totally different takes on the same song. The Parsons/Harris version is my favorite, but I love Nazareth's too!

Check out this version form Ann and Nancy Wilson. Not bad.

Love Hurts

Stevie Wonder's version of Blowin' In The wind, he give it a new feel, very soulful and almost a gospel edge, but at the same time doesn't take away from what Bob Dylan was writing about, take a listen. Stevie talks for a few mintues at the beginning but keep listening.

Blowin' In The Wind Stevie

And Sam Cooke also has good version. He jazzed it up some, got that Motown groove goin' on, but still woorth listening to. This is not the best sound quality but you can still hear it.

Blowin' In The Wind Sam

"Signs": Original by Five Man Electrical Band, cover by Tesla

"Remember (Walking In The Sand)": Original by The Shangri-Las, cover by Aerosmith

"Knockin' On Heaven's Door": Original by Bob Dylan, cover by Warren Zevon (Eric Clapton and Guns 'N Roses also covered this song, but in Zevon's case it was quite literal; he recorded his version, and the rest of his final album, after learning he had terminal lung cancer)

"Whiskey In A Jar": Original by Thin Lizzy, cover by Metallica

"You Really Got A Hold On Me": Original by Smokey Robinson, cover by Mike & the Mechanics (their version is slow and spooky, entirely different from the original)

I could go on and on, but it's late...