Your first car.

Sweet Jane 61

This was started in the Jackson Browne thread and it needs it's own thread, thanks Uncle Joe for the hint! ;)

Mine was a VW Bug, no heat, no radio, no crank to roll down the window on the passenger side, oh and it was green but more primer than green covered the car. And a small hole on the drivers side in the floor, only a little bit of a breeze came through! :) I bought and 8-track player so I could jam while driving around in my $100 car, and yes I was proud. And that little thing plowed through snow like wild!! Those were the days!!

A 1974 Oldmobile Delta 88 handed down from Mom and Dad. You could see the gas gauge go down as you went up a big hill. When you leveled out, it didn't go back up again. I took off the cat converter [1st year they had them] and used leaded gas [took off the sticker]. Passed emmissions! A truck ran me over in Newark NJ, [pronounced Nork], so I sold it to the junkyard across the street from the accident for 300.00. They used it to carry other wrecks for months. Too many stories to list!

Well, one good one... A cop pulls me over and motions for me to roll down window.[which jumped track, burnt out motor]. I say I can't roll it down, it's busted. I open the door and cop asks me if I know how fast I was going. I reply, no, my dash lights are all out, and even if they were on, the speedometer doesn't work either. Cop tells me to get out of here, so I do.

72 mERCURY MARQUIS lAND yACHT, LIGHT BLUE WITH BLUE VINYL SEATS. tHAT ONE ONLY LASTED A YEAR BEFORE THE TRANSMISSION BLEW UP. tHE NEXT CAR TO FOLLOW WAS PARTICULARLY HIDEOUS. a 74 cHEVY cAPRICE, AVOCADO GREEN WITH A GREEN INTERIOR THAT INCLUDED A BROWN ACCENT STRIP WITH AZTEC CARVINGS. tHAT ONE LASTED A LITTLE BIT LONGER THAN A YEAR BEFORE A SEMI HIT IT AND KILLED IT. nEXT WAS AN 83 tOYOTA THAT WAS GOOD FOR A FEW YEARS.

Sweet Jane..one of my friends had a VW Bug....there was this steep hill going to her house, and at the top of the hill there were RR tracks..then the road had a steep hill down...she was a crazy driver and that bug flew over those tracks...I can't imagine that car lasted her very long after that...

My first car was a Nova...and an ugly brown.....I called it "The Sled"...

My daughter's first car is "Old Betty"

Well, one thing I do know is that I'm not going to buy my friend's truck that he's about to get rid of. It's older than him and when he turns it on or shifts gears it's a life-threatening experience. Today he gave me a ride somewhere and when he took a sharp turn, his rear-view mirror fell on my head.

My first car was a hand-me-down from my mom to my brother to my sister to me. It was a metallic green '68 Dodge Dart 8-cylinder faster than lightning 4 door, no air, crank windows. By the time I got it my sister had already wrecked it, but it was a great beach cruiser!

The first car I actually paid for was a 5-speed rootbeer brown '75 Toyota Celica. Gawd, I loved that car. I still have a polaroid photo of it. Too many good times to name with that car...

On a side note: my nephew's first car was named The Shaggin' Wagon. :laughing: :laughing:

My best friend in high school got to use her Mom's Orange Camaro it was a '77 I think, totally cool car!! White interior and we partied hard in that car. She nicknamed it Hard A** becuz no matter what we spilled or what we threw up or how many times we got it stuck in a corn field, it kept running and got us around. Many memories in that car..... ;)

Musical Interlude: :guitar:

Long May You Run ~ Mr. Neil Young :bow:

We've been through some things together

With trunks of memories still to come

We found things to do in stormy weather

Long may you run.

Long may you run.

Long may you run.

Although these changes have come

With your chrome heart shining in the sun

Long may you run.

Well, it was back in Blind River in 1962

When I last saw you alive

But we missed that shift on the long decline

Long may you run.

Long may you run.

Long may you run.

Long may you run.

Maybe The Beach Boys have got you now

With those waves singing "Caroline"

Rollin' down that empty ocean road

Gettin' to the surf on time.

Long may you run.

Long may you run.

Long may you run.

Neil's beloved Pontiac hearse, "Mort" (a.k.a. "Mortimer Hearseburg"), was the inspiration for this song. Neil drove "Mort" from Toronto to Los Angeles, where he met Stephen Stills and formed Buffalo Springfield.

Edited by Guest

My first car was a brand new Hyundai Scoupe. My parents were against letting me get a used car, so until I left home, I drove one of their cars when I needed to.

The car ran for 10 years and even survived an accident (I slid on an icy road and hit three parked cars). The insurance company totaled it, but since we were buying our house, I got it back and got it fixed.

My next car after that is my current car...a USED 1997 Nissan Pathfinder. I have had it for 7 of its 10 years and I love it.

One of my high school friends had a car we called the "General Lee" because the driver's side door didn't open, so she had to slide in through the window.

Well, it's an SUV and it does well in the snow. My next one might be the soccer mom mobile Toyota Sienna, or a hybrid sedan with all wheel drive.

I don't see needing one for a few more years, though. 175,000 miles and change and still going strong.