21 Grams

scott

Anybody else seen it? I rented it last night and I was very impressed, the whole concept of warping backwards and forwards in the story is very good film making in my opinion, because what it does is make it so you can't take your eyes off the screen for a second, because if you don't, it makes no sense. And then you have to watch all the way through, because unless you watch every detail, it still makes no sense, but then after it's all done, you get to spend like fifteen minutes logicizing(not a real word I know) out the whole thing in your head. God it was great!

Sean Penn was really really really really good in it also, it's right on par with his performance in "Mystic River"(Also a really good movie) Though 21 grams didn't give him the chance to portray a huge burst of emotion like he did in that one scene in "Mystic" where he's held down by like a dozen cops and he's screaming to God and anyone else who can hear his grief( I love that scene! :thumbsup:)

Long story short, go out and rent(or buy) 21 Grams (and Mystic River for that matter)

I agree Scott, this is a great movie. It's heart-wrenching but I think the directing and acting are both excellent. I loved the plot. Without giving anything away, I'll just say that I found it fascinating to see one event, and the effects on the people involved, from two very different perspectives. :coolio:

Well technically three, even though Sean Penn's and Naomi Watts' are both kind of intertwined. I personally saw a difference in the perspectives of Penn's and Watts', (also not trying to give anything away here) I saw Penn's as more of a struggle for identity and redemption. Whereas Watts' was strictly about revenge.

It's just an amazing movie and I highly reccomend it (it's also great because it's really good for inspiring discussion, because this post proves that it can be taken many different ways)

Well, as for me, I just rented it Sunday night...finally! I've actually been trying rent it since it came to DVD but Hollywood Video only got like 5 copies!!!

Not to get off the subject but, why is that movie rental places will have the "Guarnteed In Stock" for certain movies and not others?? Like, did we really

need "Gigli" guarnteed in stock?? NO! "Cheaper By the Dozen"?? NO!!!!!

But here is a wonderfully twisted, bring you to tears, I missed 2 seconds when I got up I have to rewind it, movie...and they had 5 whole copies. :doh: What is this world coming to..... :stars:

Well technically three, even though Sean Penn's and Naomi Watts' are both kind of intertwined. I personally saw a difference in the perspectives of Penn's and Watts', (also not trying to give anything away here) I saw Penn's as more of a struggle for identity and redemption. Whereas Watts' was strictly about revenge.

You're absolutely right, it is 3 perspectives. I was only considering Jack (Del Toro) and Cristina (Watts), I have a very bad memory! LOL

I interpret Cristina's intentions a little differently, I think she saw revenge as a tangible way to find closure when what she truly wanted was an end to her grief. It seemed like one of those situations where extreme emotion (pain in this case) makes someone act in a way they wouldn't normally.

Though also another way you could look at Christina's quest for vengance was a feeling of guilt she had. She could have looked at killing her husband and daughter's killer as a way to make peace with her former family and then guiltlessly start a new life with Sean Penn.