I'm a bit sad....

johnny

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I believe rock and roll was also a way of life for our generation. We didn´t have internet nor PlayStation or cell phones and so, we carried our beloved Lps under our arms and when we met somebody who would recognise our records we´d say "Hey, you´re one of us" and we´d have something very important in common.

I was listening to 2000´s music all day yesterday, I like it, I don´t love it.

I believe rock and roll was also a way of life for our generation. We didn´t have internet nor PlayStation or cell phones and so, we carried our beloved Lps under our arms and when we met somebody who would recognise our records we´d say "Hey, you´re one of us" and we´d have something very important in common.

I was listening to 2000´s music all day yesterday, I like it, I don´t love it.

Edna, you hit it right on!! We were all about the music, the songs were about what was going on at the time and touched us deeply. And hanging out at the record store was always a blast!! Now you get everything over the internet. Not a fun cool way to share music. Not like sitting in someones bedroom or living room jammin' out and talking about the music

In the early to mid '80's, we still listened to a lot of vinyl. My best friend was an only child, so when I wanted time away from my siblings, I'd go over to her house and we'd listen to records in her room. I won't tell you which albums, 'cause you'll all laugh your heads off (cheesy '80's stuff), but fond, fond memories......

No, not really... :) it has more to do with being young and excited about something new.... :cool:

Well there was a group of us that would talk about the music, yes it was fun, but we would read the liner notes and discuss the songs and compare the new album to the one before from that artist. Granted we were high most of the time, but we still felt the music and connected with it.

no I know you wouldn't, I do, but it's just my paranoia. I did flip through my music library to look for something you might like that I wasn't too deeply attached to, and perhaps this one appeals a bit?

Not An Addict - K's Choice

Ok I listened...song is ok, I wouldn't turn the dial on the radio. What caught me is her voice, I like it and I bet she could rock out a little harder in the lines of Heart or Melissa Etheridge. Not bad... :)

Ok I just want to give those that are into the music of today a chance. Look at the classic bands that we are talking about....Zeppelin, the Stones, The Beatles, and others. Can you give us bands that even come close to the talent, heart and soul of these bands?

Maybe not the Beatles, but I can think up many many bands who are loads better than the Stones, and I can think up bands that are better than Zeppelin too. Radiohead, Godspeed You Black Emperor, Stars, Broken Social Scene, Animal Collective, Arcade Fire, Wilco, Modest Mouse, Sufjan Stevens, Deltron 3030, MF Doom, Madlib, Explosions in the Sky, Immortal Technique, Sigur Ros, Boards of Canada, A Silver Mt. Zion, The Flaming Lips, The Thermals, ...And You Will Know Us By The Trail of Dead, Daft Punk, Spoon, The Decemberists, The White Stripes, Pavement, Of Montreal, The Rapture, and Elliott Smith, to name a few. In my opinion, all these bands are way better than the Stones, almost all of them are better than Zeppelin, and there are even a few that are better than the Beatles.

And keep in mind that I like plenty of classic rock. Jimi Hendrix is still one of my favorite musicians of all time. It's just that it bothers me that a lot of classic rock has now reached "legendary" status, when really it's just pop music that is respected more because it's old.

Oh, and I will agree that music is less important to the average teen of today, or at least more disposable. Gone are the days when kids used to invite friends over to listen to an album in it's entirety. With mix CDs and ipods, many just don't have a reason to buy an entire album anymore, which is a shame because there are very few songs that on their own have as much artistic value as an entire album. However, this has only affected the quality of mainstream music, which has never and will never compare to music that's out of the mainstream. But anyways, in the 70's, you could be a casual music listener and still listen to a lot of great albums. Today, if you listen to music casually, you're going to be stuck listening to a lot of garbage.

I'll probably get quoted to death for this, but I've always thought the Beatles were overrated. I just think that they were around at the right time. I like George and I think that John Lennon was a genius, but I've always never thought they were that good....

And I don't think the Stones were that good either. I bow to Keith, but I can't stand the rest of them.

But I do think that Zeppelin are as good as people make them out to be.

Oh, and I will agree that music is less important to the average teen of today, or at least more disposable. Gone are the days when kids used to invite friends over to listen to an album in it's entirety. With mix CDs and ipods, many just don't have a reason to buy an entire album anymore, which is a shame because there are very few songs that on their own have as much artistic value as an entire album. However, this has only affected the quality of mainstream music, which has never and will never compare to music that's out of the mainstream. But anyways, in the 70's, you could be a casual music listener and still listen to a lot of great albums. Today, if you listen to music casually, you're going to be stuck listening to a lot of garbage.

I HAVE to listen to The Shins "Oh, Inverted World" all the way through. I can never listen to a song off that album by its self. And I totally agree about the mix CD's and iPod thing, it is a bit sad really....