I'm a bit sad....

johnny

....I just realised something. That in the last 7 and a half years of this new millenium, we've accomplished nothing musically. Music hasn't had a major impact socially like it did in the 60's and 70's. If you think about it, it's all pop. The whole "emo" movement is big, but I think that is just ripping of the goth scene of the 80's....

Anyone there to comfort me and tell me something I don't know or that if missed in the last 7 and a half years.....?

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll just go ahead and tell you that you are missing a lot.

Music still has a major impact on society. What the impact is, exactly, is hard to say. In about 20 years it will be easier to analyze this decade. In the meantime, why don't you name a few of your favorite bands, and (more importantly) what you like about those bands, and what you like about music in general. Then, I'll be able to reccomend you some good music from this decade (which is shaping up to be, so far, the best decade for rock music if you ask me. Not necessarily the most important, but as far as quality of music goes, this decade is one of the best! Of course, today's top 40 radio sucks, but so does the top 40 radio of the 60's and 70's, so not much has changed I suppose).

I prefer to think of modern day musical achievements from the technological prospective. iPod, online radio, etc. When you think of it that way, we've made leaps and bounds. Music's getting easier to access, which means people are (probably) getting better educated about it.

This means potential composers from this generation will have a wider repertoire, and that leads to creative minds thinking up new things to kick your ear in the ass.

Remember, over half the bands you know and love would've been nothing without their influences.

^ Very true Namy....Plus it's all a matter of what we grew up with...Teens that grew up in the 60's and 70's will always have that music with them, it's a part of their lives...I like a variety of music from 50's up till present day....I grew up in the 70's so that music will always be with me through out my life....Times, they are a-changing...as Bob Dylan puts it...I think music changes with the times also...and like you said Namy...as we go through the years, some new bands have their influences from years ago also....and since times have changed....what's going on now may influence the newer bands to make the kind of music they are making....Am I making any sense??? :P

Anyone there to comfort me and tell me something I don't know or that if missed in the last 7 and a half years.....?

I agree, I feel music was at it's best in the 60's and 70's and even some from the 50's. Only thing that comforts me with music today, an album from an artist from those eras that is new. I just have never been able to get into the music of today, and I have tired, I am not closeminded, I try but for the most part I am left wanting something more substantial.

I think Batman is a genius :bow: I love and admire him :cool:

but I have to agree with Namahage and the girls. I believe you haven´t missed anything.

Yet I understand that if I was 16 or 20 I would be more interested in new bands than I am now.

Jane, I tried too... but I guess we´re from a generation that grew up with the best music and that leaves traces...

Jane, I think your problem is that you might be looking at eras as if they are genres. It's not as if "today's music" is a category of music, and it's not as if "the music of the 70's" is a category either. Music today is incredibly wide ranging and diverse. If you haven't found something you like, it doesn't mean you are closed minded, it just means you are severely under-exposed.

No I am not looking at them as genres. I don't think the rock of today offers much. And I have tried to listen and I even bought some new music, but it doesn't hook me, there is something missing. I am not into pop so I don't even consider listening to those artists. I have been turned onto some newer blues artists, but blues is completely different. I have yet to find a rock band from today that just blew me away. And I am not comparing them to the bands I grew up on, I am listening for that something extra that will win me over. I've said this before in other threads....music to me is a love affair....and no affairs going on with artists of today.

SJ, I think Batman is right... there's MUCH more music out there than there has ever been... and it's all a LOT more accessible thanks to television and the internet. I think what you've heard isn't really what new music is. I know you've mentioned Nickelback and The Calling, but those bands are both one tiny, miniscule niche of what music is now. :)

Oh I know, all of Nickelback songs sound alike after awhile. And as for The Calling, it was just one song...the lyrics got to me.

I liked Staind for a little while but then I grew tired of them also. I liked Creed but only the first album, after that they became too Top 40-ish. I love Melissa Etheridge, but I don't consider her music of today, plus I think she was born too late and she has the soul of a 70's artist.

I can't even think of a band that I would buy a ticket for to see in concert from music of today.

I feel as if I have fallen into a cult...LOL!! I love that all of you are trying to bring new music into my life.

I do like a couple Pearl Jam tunes and a couple from STP but I have never bought their albums and played them over and over like I do with the music I'm in love with, but don't give up on me, you never know there might be an artist that will capture my heart and soul.

Okay, I don't think I was very clear about what I meant when I started this post.

There are so incredible bands around today, that are fairly new. Wolfmother & The Answer are awesome, but they sound to much like Led Zeppelin or The Who. Now I do love all of those bands I just mentioned, but it's basically the same structure and feel to it. And I'm not saying it's bad, but just not fresh.

And I totally agree with Namahage. If ten years ago anyone said to me you can carry around a tiny gadget where you can carry around your entire music collection, I'd call ou stoopid and hit you for getting my hopes up.

And there are still good bands coming out these days. I absolutely love Kings Of Leon and the Shins.But both of those bands aren't the sorta bands where you stop everything your doing the first time you here them and say "....*******....that's good...." And I'm not saying the bands that do make you do that points or music is any more valid, but I'd still like that to happening....

Know I'm not saying I want another Punk movement of 77, or a grunge/alternative music of the 90's, but something that I can be apart of and that will go down in the history of music....

Anyone know what I'm saying....??

Well, you can jump on the indie bandwagon then. We're slowly taking over the world with our square glasses and awkward music. Seriously though, I actually think the indie movement will someday be looked at as sort of a turning point in rock music, much like the punk movement of the late 70's.

Also, there are plenty of bands around today that make you stop everything and think "f*** that's amazing." Artists like Radiohead, Godspeed You! Black Emperor, and Elliott Smith amaze me every time I listen to them (although for different reasons for each artists), and I'm constantly in awe by their music.

No I am not looking at them as genres. I don't think the rock of today offers much.

Well that 2nd sentence there is exactly what I meant when I said you're looking at eras as categories. "The rock of today" is so diverse and means so many things that I just don't believe you if you claim to have a good understanding of rock's current musical climate. In today's world of rock, there is loads of s*** and there is pure genius.

Anyways, I don't want this to be a mean-spirited argument or anything. What I do want is to open your eyes to some great new music from today. If you try to seek out new music by yourself, it's really difficult, but as a member of this current generation I think I can help. Just explain your musical tastes a bit...you could tell me a few favorite artists if you'd like, but I think what would be more helpful is if you told me what it is that you like about music in general. Why do you love the artists you love? I love my favorite artists because they are so filled with emotion when it comes to both their performance and songwriting. That's why I love artists like Jimi Hendrix, John Coltrane, and Elliott Smith.

So, just tell me what you love about music and I'm sure I can find something for you!

But none of those artists/bands have started after the year 2000. If all of you think I started this post to b***h about music since 2000, your wrong. I was talking about new artists....

Dude, good point. But my comment about the indie movement still stands. Don't confuse the indie movement with the emo movement, as it's a completely different thing. While the indie movement definitely has main bands that stand out more than the others, the real draw of the indie movement is that if you really want, you can find out about a new band every single day! The main idea behind the indie movement is that the world is filled with musical geniuses, and the point is to search underground to try and find as many of them as you can. Maybe it won't change the world (I think it will at least change the music scene for about a decade or so), but it is definitely a fun scene to be a part of. Of course, since I live in Portland it's really easy to be a part of that scene since Portland is sort of the indie capital of the U.S. (Montreal being the indie capital of the world), but there are many places in the world with a vibrant indie scene. Check it out, it's fun!

It's like I said, music is like a love affair to me. Janis, my fav...she has soul, tenderness, sexual energy, pain, and you felt the song as she sang it.

Eric Clatpon, well he is amazing on guitar of course and that pulled me to him, but I like his range of music, he just doesn't play rock, or blues, or a little soul, it's all in there and he does it with such passion.

Bruce Springsteen, the lyrics pulled me in with Bruce. You felt as if you were living the songs he sang, especially back in the 70's, his early stuff. He was real and truthful and I feel he writes for himself but at the same time for his fans, knowing their lives can identify with his words. And his presence and engery is hypnotic.

Ok my top 3 favs and why they are, now for what I want from the music I listen to. I want it to seduce me, make me want to have it be a part of my life that I need to have everyday. I don't like artists that scream their songs, write crappy lyrics and play the same few chords in every song they sing. Be original, show me what makes then unique, and have that something special that could influence artists of the future. Get me high, that is what music can do, at least to me.

When I listen to a newer artist I want to hear the meaning of the song, not just someone singing words to make a hit on the charts. Or to sound like someone already on the charts. I don't give a damn if they make the charts or not, if I did I would not have been a Springsteen fan back in the 70's.

I did get into INXS for a time. And that was due to Michael Hutchence, he was the pull, his style, sound, presence, sexual energy, and I could feel the songs he sang.

Music is something I need in my life, not just want, but desire to hear everyday and enjoy it in whatever way, whether I am happy, sad, in love, out of love, or just content.

Other than the 3 artists I mentioned here are more favs....

The Beatles, The Doors, Zeppelin, Aerosmith, John Mellencamp, Alan Parsons, Steely Dan, Melissa Etheridge, The Eagles, Lou Reed, Jimi Hendrix, and more.

I hope I answered your question Batman. When I talk about what music is to me, well I can get wound up and talk way too much sometimes.

Oh, hey thanks edna! But I thought I was able to get you into a few modern artists? I think you liked Elliott Smith, and the Shins, if I recall correctly.

You´re totally correct, my friend... :bow: I even downloaded more Elliott Smith and listen to The Shins on myspace (theirspace) I also like The Klaxons and other nowadays bands. I like Franz Ferdinand, Weezer , Kula Shaker... ;) I have less modern Cake, Oasis, White Stripes cds. Shannon got me into Ryan Adams.

But these are some 8 or 11 exceptions to the rule... ;) What I mean is that I wouldn´t be able to become a fan of Weezer´s, let´s say, as they will never mean to me what Jefferson Airplane did.

Of course there´s much more music now than ever. But when it comes to feel that music as something I can identify myself with, I guess it must be cause I´m a baby boomer, I still stick to my memories. Though I do listen to some new music too.