Zep vs. The Who

Batman

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

...if most people were forced to sit down and listen to really great music, they'd like it. But most people don't have the time for that so they just listen to whatever the music industry wants to sell them.

Will, I admire you and I love the way you explain some things :bow: :bow: :bow:

I remember in the late sixties how some rock critics used to make the difference between "good" and "bad": whatever got into your head after being heard 500 times a day would force you to buy it, that was "bad". If it´s easy to dance then it´s aimed to people who would dance to anything; that would be "commercial" music (bad). When it´s something that should be listened at least five times before you would consider liking it, then it was good... :cool:

Now I just don´t think in these terms anymore. I don´t care if it´s heard on the radio because I don´t listen to standard radio, so if I like it (even if it´s Robbie& Nicole covering "Something Stupid" or if it´s Brahms Symphony nº3) I just enjoy it...

... but you must admit that one of the 'funnest' songs is '' The Crocodile Rock '... :) Elton rocked the world in the early '70s ! :thumbsup: Certainly, there's no pleasure to dancing to a song like ' Dazed and Confused ' , but one tried . It's rather dull to be an adoring/indifferent audience - and the dancing was proof enough .

Hello musiclvr...and welcome to Songfacts...Yes we do enjoy discussing music, that's for sure!

Thanks for the welcome. I must admitt you all seem to discuss music very strongly, seems the discussions get heated up. Guess you get that way about something that is a passion. I will watch for now. :)

I also think it's funny that he referred to the Rolling Stones as "one of the most diverse bands of all time," with nothing more than a sentence to back that up. I think that you'd need to write an entire paragraph to be able to support the claim that the Stones are diverse at all.

Success doesn't automatically mean diversity. I don't think they're very diverse.

ARE ALL YOU PEOPLE SMOKING CRACK?! HAVE YOU EVER ACTUALLY PLAYED A ROLLING STONES ALBUM?! THEY ARE, WITHOUT A DOUBT, THE MOST "DIVERSE" BAND TO EVER PLAY ROCK AND ROLL.....MORE THAN ZEPPELIN, MORE THAN THE WHO, FAR MORE THAN THE BEATLES...AND YES, EVEN MORE THAN BECK!

Rock N' Roll

Blues

Rhythm N' Blues

Country

Jazz

Hard Rock

Punk Rock

Glam Rock

Funk Rock

Gospel

Reggae

Pop

Easy Listening

Disco

Progressive

Psychedelia

Classical

Heavy Metal

(and a few more that don't come to me right now)

...and that's over a series of some of the greatest albums ever produced between 1964 and 1981. And they're able to do it and still keep their blues origin on nearly every song.

Have you ever heard their latest album, "A Bigger Bang"?!....it has nearly every single one of the above "genres", combined to make 16 great tunes (okay, there are maybe two or three dogs in there, but the majority of them are EXCELLENT tunes.) There is no other band in the world that can even come close to making the claim of combining all those different types of music over their careers.

You may not agree that they're the World's Greatest Rock N' Roll Band; You may not agree that they're "as good as the Beatles"; You may not even agree that they a great band of musicians (You'd be totally f**ked up wrong on all three counts). But if you say that the music of the Rolling Stones is "not diverse", well then, my young friends, you are COMPLETELY OFF YOUR ROCKERS AND TOTALLY WHACKED OUT OF YOUR SKULLS ON CRACK!

.....Schmucks!

Thank you for listening. Carry on.

:afro: :afro: :afro: :rockon: :rockon: :rockon:

I want to cast my vote for Zeppelin. I listen to The Who, but I favor Zeppelin. They were the heavy metal band of their time. The way they incorporated the blues into their music and even some folk gave them a great sound. And I applaud them for not releasing singles to make it on the charts, they made albums that rocked, not albums full of chart topping hits. They were the pioneers of album oriented rock. And they didn't seem to give a damn that the press wasn't always praising their music.

Yes, The Who has had longevity and still puts out great rock and roll, and had John Bonham not died Zeppelin might still be rocking, we will never know for sure.

I will always look back and remember the sound of Zeppelin and be glad I was there to enjoy it from the beginning.

And sammy, I do agree with your above statement on the diversity of The Rolling Stones.

:thumbsup:

Hubby took a glance at this thread, and then asked me why are they even comparing The Who and Zep? and how can you say who's better?....they are both exceptional bands...both have great guitarists, frontman, and of course great drummmers....they are very talented, and play quality stuff..

So he's going on and on...then I finally asked..."okay, so if you had to choose one of them, who would it be?"....he said

The Who... :P

Hubby took a glance at this thread, and then asked me why are they even comparing The Who and Zep? and how can you say who's better?....they are both exceptional bands...both have great guitarists, frontman, and of course great drummmers....they are very talented, and play quality stuff..

So he's going on and on...then I finally asked..."okay, so if you had to choose one of them, who would it be?"....he said

The Who... :P

I agree with your hubby about why the whole discussion of who is better. Like he said they are both great bands.And they really aren't alike as far as style goes. I can't choose between the two really.

ARE ALL YOU PEOPLE SMOKING CRACK?! HAVE YOU EVER ACTUALLY PLAYED A ROLLING STONES ALBUM?! THEY ARE, WITHOUT A DOUBT, THE MOST "DIVERSE" BAND TO EVER PLAY ROCK AND ROLL.....MORE THAN ZEPPELIN, MORE THAN THE WHO, FAR MORE THAN THE BEATLES...AND YES, EVEN MORE THAN BECK!

Rock N' Roll

Blues

Rhythm N' Blues

Country

Jazz

Hard Rock

Punk Rock

Glam Rock

Funk Rock

Gospel

Reggae

Pop

Easy Listening

Disco

Progressive

Psychedelia

Classical

Heavy Metal

...and that's over a series of some of the greatest albums ever produced between 1964 and 1981. And they're able to do it and still keep their blues origin on nearly every song.

Have you ever heard their latest album, "A Bigger Bang"?!....it has nearly every single one of the above "genres", combined to make 16 great tunes (okay, there are maybe two or three dogs in there, but the majority of them are EXCELLENT tunes.) There is no other band in the world that can even come close to making the claim of combining all those different types of music over their careers.

You may not agree that they're the World's Greatest Rock N' Roll Band; You may not agree that they're "as good as the Beatles"; You may not even agree that they a great band of musicians (You'd be totally f**ked up wrong on all three counts). But if you say that the music of the Rolling Stones is "not diverse", well then, my young friends, you are COMPLETELY OFF YOUR ROCKERS AND TOTALLY WHACKED OUT OF YOUR SKULLS ON CRACK!

.....Schmucks!

Thank you for listening. Carry on.

:afro: :afro: :afro: :rockon: :rockon: :rockon:

Keith says: Ha ha ha!!!!! :thumbsup: Thanks, Sammy!!! :bow: :bow:

richardsnarrowweb300x45gy3.jpg

Rock N' Roll

Blues

Rhythm N' Blues

Country

Jazz

Hard Rock

Punk Rock

Glam Rock

Funk Rock

Gospel

Reggae

Pop

Easy Listening

Disco

Progressive

Psychedelia

Classical

Heavy Metal

Alright, 11 of those genres you mentioned are very closely related. When did the Stones do a classical song? That's not a challenge, I'm just curious. I'm also curious as to which one of their songs was progressive.

Anyways, I've been convinced that yes, the Stones are diverse. I'm not yet convinced that they are one of the most diverse bands of all time, and I'm still not convinced that they aren't a terrible, terrible band, but trying to convince me otherwise is probably a lost cause.

It's very easy for a terrible band to stay in business for over 45 years when nostalgia is a factor.

I don't think millions of people would smack down hundreds of dollars to see a band in concert because its "nostalgia". So in 45 years,if one of your favorite bands is still around,you going to say you are going to see them because of "nostalgia"?