Zep vs. The Who

Batman

Probably the 2nd biggest debate in classic rock:

Who's better? Led Zeppelin or the Who? Both are the quintessential hard rock bands of the 70's, who still have massive popularity today, and sort of define a culture.

I've always been more of a Zeppelin man, myself.

Edited by Guest
thread title edit

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Who... no competition there. :cool:

I must admit that my knowledge of Led Zeppelin songs and albums is limited, but the Who invented the rock opera (or at least made it famous, more so than the Kinks or the Small Faces) and also took it to a much higher level... and I think there was a lot of creativity involved, mainly on Townshend's part. Lifehouse (and eventually Who's Next... synthesizers were still new then) for example -- it was lightyears ahead of the technology people used back then, and I think that what's being made of it now (the Lifehouse project online) is still different from what it was supposed to be.

Apart from that, they also went through a lot of changes... My Generation is very different from The Who Sell Out (a concept album, again... jingles in between songs to imitate a pirate radio station), Who's Next is very different from Who Are You and so on, whereas I think that Led Zep mainly focussed on one kind of music... not always very similar songs, of course, but I do think they were nowhere as inventive as The Who. Also, The Who's stage presence was quite unique -- smashed guitars and drumkits, whirling microphones, and the famous marshall stacks... and of course how they sounded.

Then of course they're three extremely talented musicians, but that's the same with Led Zeppelin.

Not to mention the fact that they wouldn't be called Led Zeppelin without the Who... and oddly enough, Robert Plant's looks remind me strangely of Roger Daltrey. ;)

I think I could go on until tomorrow. :P

One thing I think the Who gets too much credit for is the creation of the rock opera. The argument is that even though they weren't the first to do a rock opera, they made the biggest rock opera. But since there really haven't been any big rock operas since Tommy, I don't see why it's considered influential.

I think it's not just the fact that it's a 'rock opera' as such, but more the fact that it's a completely new concept, and the introduction of a storyline... Sgt Pepper is like that too in a way, but all the songs telling a story like this was new. I don't know if it's really influential as such, because I can't think of a lot of other big rock operas off the top of my head either, but it expanded the possibilities, I think... if only just to show what else is possible.

Zeppelin for me. Never got into The Who, not sure why to be honest. But I remember getting turned onto Zeppelin back in '72 and I was hooked. I would try to understand the meaning of each song, hoping I was close. I thought and still do that Jimmy Page was kick azz at guitar. When I saw them in '74 I was blown away. Robert Plant had this raw dirty sexual presence about him and you were pulled into the euphoria of the sound of Zeppelin. Like being on one big mind-blowing trip.

Well of course I would choose The Doors, but yes they are in a place all their own, can't even put them in the same category as The Who or Zeppelin. I mean there was no bass player in The Doors, their sound focusing on Manzereck's keyboards. And the songs, Morrison's poetic dark style of writing. No comparison. The Doors beat out both!!

Well Johnny...there's quite a bit on Badfinger....Songfacts main page can give you all the artist facts on them....One of the first bands to sign with Apple Records...If you like The Beatles, you will like Badfinger...Beatles gave them their name...you can read about that also...they were early 70's....a few of their hits were "Come And Get It" "No Matter What" "Day After Day"....give them a listen...