The Monkees in Rock and Roll Hall of Fame??

I knew them through the magazines, I watched the cartoons on TV and heard their songs on the radio -not often- or some friend´s older brother/sister had some of their records. But believe me, they were not that popular out of the US and not often on TV shows in other countries. There was other kind of music by then -we´re talking 66/69- and for us, they made nice pop songs but we still prefered The Four Tops, The Beatles or The Byrds...

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nesmith and Tork did write several songs, and they did play their own instruments on tour. The Monkees played great ROCK N' ROLL. Anyone who says that they're not rock 'n' roll is completely off his/her rocker, man! Their music was very similar to many greats from the '60, including the Stones, the Beatles, the Kinks, Donovan, Dave Clark Five, Herman's Hermits, etc., etc., etc. And many of their songs have wicked guitar riffs, e.g....

I'm A Believer

What Am I Doin' Hanging 'Round?

For Pete's Sake

(I'm Not Your) Stepping Stone

Last Train To Clarksville

Your Auntie Grizelda

(and many others)

However, IMO, I don't think they were around quite long enough to be considered Hall of Famers, coupled with the fact that they WERE actors, I have to vote NO. But they definitely are borderline, and if they ever were to make it into the Hall, I would have no qualms about it.

PETER TORK RULES!!

:afro: :afro: :afro: :rockon: :rockon: :rockon:

I voted no. The Monkees were a hit making operation, but they were really a TV show. They had great songwriters working for them, Neil Diamond, Boyce & Hart, Carole King to name a few. Talented guys, but not Hall of Famers. What's next Josie & The Pussycats?

I know it's hard to read, but The Supremes made the Hall in 1988...they didn't write their songs, play instruments, etc....they sang other people's music.....what's the difference between them and the Monkees...the Monkees had a TV show.

Where Did Our Love Go [DVD] ... Lamont Dozier, Brian Holland, Edward Holland, Jr. The Supremes

Baby Love [DVD] ... Lamont Dozier, Brian Holland, Edward Holland, Jr. The Supremes

Come See About Me [DVD] ... Lamont Dozier, Eddie Holland, Brian Holland The Supremes

Stop! In the Name of Love [DVD] ... Lamont Dozier, Eddie Holland, Brian Holland The Supremes

Back in My Arms Again [DVD] ... Lamont Dozier, Eddie Holland, Brian Holland The Supremes

Nothing But Heartaches [DVD] ... Lamont Dozier, Brian Holland, Edward Holland, Jr. The Supremes

I Hear a Symphony [DVD] ... Lamont Dozier, Brian Holland, Edward Holland, Jr. The Supremes

My World Is Empty Without You [DVD] ... Lamont Dozier, Eddie Holland, Brian Holland The Supremes

You Can't Hurry Love [DVD] ... Lamont Dozier, Brian Holland, Edward Holland, Jr. The Supremes

You Keep Me Hangin' On [DVD] ... Lamont Dozier, Brian Holland, Edward Holland, Jr. The Supremes

Love Is Here and Now You're Gone [DVD] ... Lamont Dozier, Eddie Holland, Brian Holland The Supremes

The Happening [DVD] ... Frank DeVol, Lamont Dozier, Eddie Holland, Brian Holland The Supremes

Reflections [DVD] ... Lamont Dozier, Eddie Holland, B. Holland The Supremes

In and Out of Love [DVD] ... Lamont Dozier, Brian Holland, Edward Holland, Jr. The Supremes

Love Child [DVD] ... R. Dean Taylor, Deke Richards, Pam Sawyer, Frank Wilson The Supremes

Someday We'll Be Together [DVD] ... Johnny Bristol, Harvey Fuqua, Jackey Beavers The Supremes

Baby Love [DVD][*][Multimedia Track] ... Lamont Dozier, Brian Holland, Edward Holland, Jr. The Supremes

Stop! In the Name of Love [DVD][*] ... Lamont Dozier, Brian Holland, Edward Holland, Jr. The Supremes

When the Lovelight Starts Shining Through His Eyes [DVD][*] ... Lamont Dozier, Eddie Holland, Brian Holland The Supremes

Shining Through His Eyes [DVD][*] ... The Supremes

My World Is Empty Without You [DVD][*] ... Lamont Dozier, Eddie Holland, Brian Holland The Supremes

[untitled Track] ...

As usual, RonJon is right... ;) The Supremes didn´t write their songs nor play instruments. And their singer was the boss´ lover. But anyways, they inluenced pop music to some high degree. They were original. Maybe the trouble with The Monkees was all that story about them as being a commercial replica to The Beatles, trying to create a "Monkeymania", which was true at the beginning but then it turned out that they could make up nice records. They did play their instruments live and they made up amazing songs (doesn´t matter if they wrote their own of if some of them were written by excelelent songwriters) and they behaved like a real rock band, which they probably were and they could have demostrate it if they had lasted more than three or four years. Actually, they were good. I like them. But unfortunately every Monkees chapter in rocknroll history will start: "The Monkees were the first prefabricated group... "

You're right Edna...perception is everything and the Monkees are perceived as comic book characters from a Hollywood TV show. My argument isn't really if The Monkees should be in the H of F...but with the reasons people give for keeping them out.....The method of distributing the product was 1) A massively popular TV show 2) Sell records based on the frenzy of point #1 3) market all kinds of Monkees products 4) tour...It worked and it worked well...

and

Girl I Knew Somewhere

Joanne

the Kind Of Girl I Could Love

Listen To The Band

Magnolia Simms

Mary, Mary

Papa Gene's Blues

Zilch

Sweet Young Thing

Writing Wrongs

I realize a lot of peeps see the Monkees as a fluff band who didn't do a bloody thing to move music forward, but there's a whole lot more to them than people give credit for. And a whole lot more behind the scenes stuff that hardly anyone noticed... they were pioneers in a lot of ways, groundbreakers, and if the Supremes can be considered rock and roll, so can these guys.

'nuff said.

It looks like I was wrong about Peter Tork ! I see he was a session musician before joining The Monkees. I still think Mike Nesmith was the real talent of the Group, though Mickey and Davy's vocals were excellent.

The only other comment I'd like to make is that there are quite a few non Rock and Roll Performers in the R & R Hall Of Fame. Maybe that term is misleading ! That RonJon is pretty convincing, isn't he ? If ever I decide to murder somebody, I might have him as my Defence Counsel.

:)

Speaking of studio acts, what of these loosely defined groups getting the R&R Hall of Fame nod?

The Archies

The Banana Splits

Pebbles & Bambam (from "The Flintstones")

:stars:

While it is fair to be comparative when debating the eligibility for entry into any Hall of Fame, the acts quoted above are not anywhere near comparable to The Monkees. A better comparison would be made to groups like Herman's Hermits; or The Lovin' Spoonful. Along with the Monkees, each of those groups had about the same amount of albums, hits and worldwide success. They all also share comparably a general aura of "feel good group" who are more known for entertaining their audiences than changing the audience's politics or challenging their beliefs.

If Hermits or Spoonful make it into the Hall, Monkees can make an argument to be there as well.