The Monkees in Rock and Roll Hall of Fame??

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just voted 'Yes'. They may have started as a vehicle for a TV show, and some of the earlier instrumentation wasn't theirs, but hey ! they actually did have talent. Three of them at least - I'm not really sure if Peter Tork was much more than comedy relief. Anyway, they certainly became 60s Icons and I believe that, while they certainly wouldn't be one of the most talented Groups in the R & R Hall Of Fame, they've earnt a spot there.

they actually did have talent. Three of them at least - I'm not really sure if Peter Tork was much more than comedy relief.

Intriguingly, it was Peter Tork, along with Mike Nesmith, who were the serious musicians in the group. Micky and Davy were just in it for the acting gig. Peter and Mike felt creatively stifled because everything the group did was dictated by the network/management/record company, etc.

I've got the Monkees compilation DVDs of all their TV shows (32 per season - not like the 8 or so we see these days per season!) and it's chock full of info on the goings-on during the run of that show.

I voted yes too. They belong there for those reasons Darryl, and for another. They originated the music video as a concept, and Mike Nesmith took it a step further. That in and of itself was a huge innovation, and influence on Rock & Roll.

By the way, Peter Tork was one of the two "real", trained, musicians. But you know that! ;)

Edited by Guest
that Dang Shawna beats me every time...

The Simpsons said it best....

"EWWWW, you like the Monkees?!? You know they don't even write their own songs...."

I have no idea if they do or don't, but hey, who cares, I just had another chance to quote the Simpsons....

Anyway, after all that my answer is no....

....god no....

Many bands in the 60's didn't write their own songs...songwriting was a mass-produced business back then....you had performers, backed by session musicians, singers, etc.

The Monkees just had a better system of distribution than most bands...I wouldn't hold that against them. They did the singing on the hits...just like many bands from that era.

If the H of F is recognition for the contribution to the world of music...the boys did more than many others and deserve to be there.

Micky and Davey were basically actors, but they handled the bulk of the lead vocals...you can have much less success than they did.

You may be familiar with this story, but Steven Stills auditioned for The Monkees. He told his musician buddy Peter Tork about it and the rest is history. Mike Nesmith was a video pioneer and a songwriter (Different Drum).

I see a solid case for The Monkees to be in the H of F.

Reading the posts in this thread I'm a little surprised at how little people know about the Monkees. Probably shouldn't surprise me, but since I was about 6 when they first came on the scene I grew up knowing about them, I guess I think everybody should. :crazy:

Reading the posts in this thread I'm a little surprised at how little people know about the Monkees. Probably shouldn't surprise me, but since I was about 6 when they first came on the scene I grew up knowing about them, I guess I think everybody should. :crazy:

Me too Shawna. It's actually a little sad. :P

I don't consider them rock and roll either....but that doesn't mean I don't like them...I like the Monkees alot...I grew up watching them on tv also...so I guess it was more like they were just entertainers to me, not a rock and roll band....

I was reading on Grand Funk the other day....I would really like to see them in the hall of fame...I thought they were in it already...