The Songfactor's Choice Top Ten #76

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Disenfranchised?

Disheartened?

Dissed?

I'm just kidding our friend Martin. He did a great job here and I like hearing his opinions. I even go and check out most of the songs he nominates. Sometimes I even like them. It's difficult to vote for a song I've just heard over songs that have been a part of my life for the past 40-50 years or so. Because of Martin and many of you younger SFers I now listen with a more open mind. I thank you all for that.

Make no mistake, I often feel that some of the nominations from the 60's, 70's, etc. are pure pap and my voting reflects that, too.

Edited by Guest
.....expanding

that's a nice thing to say Joe, but I believe we're talking at cross purposes here...

the current situation, has nothing, but really NOTHING to do with music, nominations or my feelings about them...

it's true, and I think that's what Darryl meant when he claimed I was 'disenchanted', that I felt a bit down a few weeks ago, because of nominations - but not because nobody voted for mine (I wasn't nominating real hits that often after all),

and not even because of too much 60s or 70s nominations - I know that most people, having grown up with that kind of music, like it more - that was never a real problem for me...

no, what got to me were the numerous nominations of the "Usual Suspects" as I like to call them: Beatles, Stones, The Who etc. pp. , which in my eyes are unnecessary to nominate, because everybody knows and likes them anyway...

That and being bit in stress due to exam time caused me to think loudly (privatly) about the meaning of life (and the TT ;) )

BUT after talking about it with a couple of close friends (:bow:), I got over that within one and a half days :)

no, the recent development has other reasons, which I won't get into now, out of privacy issues (if Darryl wants to do that he already has my permission), let me just repeat that it has NOTHING to do with nominations, of any decade, or even music in general :)

no, what got to me were the numerous nominations of the "Usual Suspects" as I like to call them: Beatles, Stones, The Who etc. pp. , which in my eyes are unnecessary to nominate, because everybody knows and likes them anyway...

Martin, thank you for your clarification. I apologize for making assumptions.

As to the part of your post quoted above: I agree totally. At the beginning of the Top Tens I stated that I wouldn't be nominating or voting for Beatles, Stones or Who songs unless they were the groups' more obscure efforts and I believe I've maintained that policy throughout.

And Martin, in closing...aren't Songfacts friends great?

That is the same reason I didn't nominate for awhile. And after some sweet talkin' from Darryl, who does that so well I came back. I like to see nominations that you might not have ever thought of wanting in the top 10 until you see that another SFer has nominated them, a nice maybe out of the ordinary mix is good to see. :)

It seems that many would be in favor of another Top Ten with " NO Artists who've made #1 in our Top Tens previously."

Some of you may have your nominations for #77 chosen already, so we might do that for #78. Lucky will be unavailable for those two, so I'll be running them with Fintan. She hopes to have time to nominate and vote though. I see she's already updated...

Every Song That's Made The Songfactors' Choice Top Tens to #76.

You might like to browse through there. All songs/artists that have been #1 in our Tens are shown in red, so those artists will be ineligible for nomination in #78.

:headphones:

Also, Chris will start #1 of our 5 elimination Top Tens early next week for our Special Ultimate Top Ten #3 ! We'll be asking you to vote for your favorite songs from Top Tens #51 to 75. Chris will explain all of that when he opens the first Special. I want to thank him in advance for the tremendous amount of work that he's already put in preparing it, 'seeding' and grouping all 250 songs.

After those, Radhi will be back to host even more Specials.

:)

it seems that a further explanation is not wanted or needed, so I guess this will be my last post here... :(:P

after 16 months it's kinda sad that it had to be ended like this,

but he made a choice, and I have to deal with that now... :crazy:

once more good luck for Fin, and fun for everybody else...

:headphones:

Martin, thanks for the last 16 months of kindness, intelligence and humor. I hope your absence from the top ten is a short one. You were a great help to me kid, thanks. Now to lighten things up a just a bit (imagine me sounding like Bob Hope)....

Thanks for the memory

Of candlelight and wine, castles on the Rhine

The Parthenon and moments on the Hudson River Line

How lovely it was!

Thanks for the memory

Of rainy afternoons, swingy Harlem tunes

And motor trips and burning lips and burning toast and prunes

How lovely it was!

Many's the time that we feasted

And many's the time that we fasted

Oh, well, it was swell while it lasted

We did have fun and no harm done

And thanks for the memory

Of sunburns at the shore, nights in Singapore

You might have been a headache but you never were a bore

So thank you so much.

Thanks for the memory

Of sentimental verse, nothing in my purse

And chuckles when the preacher said "For better or for worse"

How lovely it was

Thanks for the memory

Of lingerie with lace, Pilsner by the case

And how I jumped the day you trumped my one-and-only ace

How lovely it was!

We said goodbye with a highball

Then I got as "high" as a steeple

But we were intelligent people

No tears, no fuss, Hooray! For us

So, thanks for the memory

And strictly entre-nous, darling how are you?

And how are all the little dreams that never did come true?

Aw'flly glad I met you, cheerio, and toodle-oo

And thank you so much :grin:

We'll miss you around here kid.....

Just recapping on the Top Ten...

sf_songfactorschoicetop10.jpg

Top Ten #76 for the week ending 19th August 2007

1. Angel - Jimi Hendrix (1971)

2. Kids Are Alright, The - The Who (1965)

3. Summertime - Janis Joplin (1968)

4. Bad Bad Leroy Brown - Jim Croce (1973)

5. Midnight Rambler - Rolling Stones (1969)

6. Tin Soldier - Small Faces (1967)

7. Signs - Five Man Electric Band (1970)

8. New Kid In Town - The Eagles (1976)

9. Saturday In The Park - Chicago (1972)

10. Foreplay / Long Time - Boston (1976)

Onwards to #77 !!!