Jackfest 2007

TheLizard

ZZ Top was incredible. It doesn't get much better than watching that little ole blues band from Texas get it on in their home state. You can tell they're enjoying themselves immensely and their set went on forever, with one singalong chorus after another. It was the loudest outdoor show I've ever been to, rivaling even the Aerosmith show I attended, which was inside a dome. My ears are still ringing and I just now washed off that lovely rock concert smell (funny how sweat, beer, tobacco, and pot don't smell that good separated, but together they're great).

The Pretenders were disappointing. They came on third in a lineup of four (some unknown band called Whitestarr, The Stray Cats, The Pretenders, ZZ Top). Musically they were fine, Chrissie can still sing as good as she ever could, but they seemed to have this attitude that because they're The Pretenders, they didn't have to work to win over the crowd, and as a result they actually got blown off the stage by the preceding act, The Stray Cats, who were surprisingly good for a has-been two hit wonder from the 80s.