The Classic Debate

Slowhand

I agree Lucky....but then again Stones did adjust to the changing of the times with their music...having gone through so many years of playing, they did have that hard edge rock and roll....they did adjust with a couple tunes with ballads like "Angie" and even with a little bit of a disco beat with "Miss You"....

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think The Stones are, no kidding, THE BEST ROCK AND ROLL BAND IN THE WORLD. The Beatles were a bunch of geniuses making magic for some 8 years. They were totally pioners. They opened the door, as Lucky said before. Their egos were much too big and they couldn´t stick together for much longer. I remember an interview with Keith, in 1970, talking about the Beatles breaking up: "Rock musicians should live in their bags", he said. True, The Beatles were lonesome creators while The Stones were and still are part of the scene, the Beatles stopped touring in 1966 and The Stones are maybe not so brilliant or innovatve, but they´re the workers of rock and roll.

Oh...rock band. Yeah, I agree with that. ;)

This is the end, Beautiful friend

This is the end, My only friend, the end.

Of our elaborate plans, the end

Of everything that stands, the end

No safety or surprise, the end

I'll never look into your eyes...again

Can you picture what will be, So limitless so free

Desperately in need...of some...stranger's hand

In a...desperate land

Lost in a Roman...wilderness of pain

And all the children are insane, and all the children are insane

Waiting for the summer rain, yeah

There's danger on the edge of town

Ride the king's highway, baby

Weird scenes inside the gold mine

Ride the highway west, baby

Ride the snake, ride the snake

To the lake, the ancient lake, baby

The snake is long, seven miles

Ride the snake, he's old, and his skin is cold

The west is the best, the west is the best

Get here and we'll do the rest

The blue bus is calling us, the blue bus is calling us

Driver where you takin' us

The killer awoke before dawn, he put his boots on

He took a face from the ancient gallery

And he walked on down the hall

He went into the room where his sister lived, and...then he

Paid a visit to his brother, and then he

He walked on down the hall, and

And he came to a door...and he looked inside

Father, yes son, I want to kill you

Mother...I want to...f*** you

C'mon baby take a chance with us

And meet me at the back of the blue bus

Doin' a blue rock, on a blue bus

Doin' a blue rock, c'mon, yeah

Kill, kill, kill, kill, kill, kill

This is the end, Beautiful friend

This is the end, My only friend, the end

It hurts to set you free

But you'll never follow me

The end of laughter and soft lies

The end of nights we tried to die

This is the end.

#1 of all time: BEATLES

#2 of all time: STONES

It's an argument that'll never be settled, of course; altho, if you think the Stones are better because they're still touring, you can say the same for McCartney & Starr, the two surviving Beatles who still tour on their own. McCartney could fill two shows with his songs alone.

All you Doors fans, sorry, don't think the Doors can even be mentioned in the same breath.

CHOP

if you think the Stones are better because they're still touring, you can say the same for McCartney & Starr, the two surviving Beatles who still tour on their own. McCartney could fill two shows with his songs alone.

That´s so true... :cool:

Ringo Starr is touring? :shades:

I agree that comparing the Beatles and Stones is like comparing apples and oranges.

Everyone keeps lauding the Stones longevity, but for a significant part of the 1980's and early 1990's they produced Little of quality. That having been said, there is no way to know how well the Beatles would have fared had they all remained in the land of the living and stayed together.

In the end, as someone has already said, it is a matter of taste. I like the Stones, but I love the Beatles.

^^ :grin: ^^

Batman, in a way you have reiterated my point. I wouldn't have used those exact words, but:

The Stones were not innovators. That slot belongs to the Beatles. I think I stated that somewhere up there. The Stones just made good rock & roll music, consistently, year after year, album after album. They still are. Not just run of the mill pap, but good hard driving rock. As I said, sort of Bar Band made good. REAL GOOD. ;)

Go see them in concert. Even now. Then come back and tell me they are mediocre. ;)

I've seen plenty of videos and I just don't think they're that great a live band. Of course, any concert is better in person, but still, they don't deserve all the praise they get.

To me, the Stones made acceptable rock music. Nothing too great, nothing too terrible, just alright background music.

• 4 weeks later...

i'm not even going to take the time to read this.. its a non stop debate.. about 2 bands that shouldn't be compared. Beatles are way Better.. it almost disturbs me to even have the 2 compared to each other. i don't mind the rolling stones thou they do have some great licks

Edited by Guest

To be honest I have never really understood a question like this because it can't really be answered. Music is such a personal matter of taste there really is no right or wrong answer. I hope that doesnt sound rude it's not meant to be.

Personally The Beatles and Pink Floyd own me. Depending on my mood depends on who I listen to at any given time.

As for The Beatles or The Rolling Stones, I seriously like the Stones but The Beatles? I could listen to John Lennon sing forever and never tire of it. I pick out every drum beat, bass sound, rhythm and lead guitar sound and appreciate each members contribution on an individual basis.

Like someone else said "I enjoy Beatles music, but I know the Stones" same for me but the other way around. I adore The Beatles :)

Lea