70s Theme Party

Elvish

A friend of mine is having a 70s theme party. We've already come up with some good ideas (fondue, blacklights, & pop rocks!) but could still use some help.

I have some soundtrack ideas too: Eagles, Stones, Skynyrd, Rod Stewart, & America to name a few, but I would welcome any input y'all may have. Her only stipulations are (1)not too sappy or sad and (2) not TOO much disco! :)

Any ideas, music-related or otherwise, would be appreciated!

Based on the music you've already listed, maybe throw in some Allman Brothers, Steppenwolf, Bread, ZZ Top, Yes, Steve Miller Band, Steely Dan, Bob Segar, Creedence Clearwater Revival, Peter Frampton & Free, just to name a few. To add a variety, maybe some Queen, T-Rex, Todd Rundgren & Sweet.

the bands above are great. Add some led zeppelin, deep purple, black sabbath, and for some comic relief, cheech and chong. Kegs were real important back then, but you may not be old enough. Don't forget the posters for the blacklights! Sounds like a good party. :googly:

the bands above are great. Add some led zeppelin, deep purple, black sabbath, and for some comic relief, cheech and chong. Kegs were real important back then, but you may not be old enough. Don't forget the posters for the blacklights! Sounds like a good party. :googly:

Cheech & Chong :laughing: - great idea, thanks!

We're old enough for kegs, but the host thinks they're not worth the trouble. We'll probably start with period alcohol and progress to our regular stuff anyway. We've discussed Boone's Strawberry Hill, but I'm not old enough to know what everyone drank back them. I remember pull-top cans, but they're long gone. I think Ripple is too. . .

Oh, and I have the posters (and the blacklight, and the incense. . . looking for drip candles, macrame, and hoping someone has a wall hanging of the four dogs playing poker in an attic somewhere. . . ) :jester:

Definately Boones Farm Strawberry Hill! I've done some of my best pukin on that! Madog too. The girls definatly have to wear platform shoes and hip hugger jeans and halter tops too. Guys wear leather boots and bandanas around their heads. Anyhing leather with fringe is great- purses, belts, jackets. Don't play much disco unless you really like it. Not one of the better points of 70's music. And you should probably leave out the many bongs and such that were always around! Hey- can I come?

Hey ......noone mentioned Elton John. He only sold more albums than anyone else in the seventies. I think he should get some airplay at that party.

Cheech and Chong was a great idea for some comic relief. I would also throw in George Carlin!

Wish I could be there.....have fun!!!

You must have beads for curtains in your doorway and macrame plant holders. Your kitchen appliances have to be either goldenrod or avacado in color. You need a turntable - no CD's; or you can get an eight track player. Your need an AM radio, and a TV in which you have to actually get off your duff and turn the dial to change the station (and don't forget the rabbit ears for what little reception you hope to get).

Oh my God, we had a terrible childhood! :P

You need a turntable - no CD's; or you can get an eight track player. Your need an AM radio, and a TV in which you have to actually get off your duff and turn the dial to change the station (and don't forget the rabbit ears for what little reception you hope to get).

Oh my God, we had a terrible childhood!

Hey Catherine....I think you are right, we had terrible childhoods. We didn't have all of the conveniences the kids today have. Back in the early 70's FM radio was for the acid rockers while we were still listening to Donny Osmond on AM radio!! And oh those darn rabbit ears.....always used aluminum foil on the tips of the rabbit ears in hopes of catching some decent reception. I never understood what the round one in the middle of the rabbit ears did (you may recall you moved the dial an it would go around, I think it was for UHF). We got stuck watching commercials cause we were too lazy to get up and change a channel. Life was certainly different then and yeah, our teen years didn't afford us the amenities of today.

All in all though, I would never trade them for what we have today!

I never understood what the round one in the middle of the rabbit ears did (you may recall you moved the dial an it would go around, I think it was for UHF).

So that's what that dial is for! My antennae must be broken, because whenever I turn it, the middle one just stays put. I never knew that. I have been spoiled by modern electronics.

You need a turntable - no CD's.

We're dragging out the turntable and old albums for the first part of the party. But we will probably switch to CDs at some point (to keep the "artifacts" from being damaged by the revelry). ;)

I wish you could ALL come! Windy, you are probably closer than anyone else. Up for a road trip?

Love to!! Let's see, St. Charles to Springfield? Maybe 5 hours? Not bad for a great party. I could at least check up on your authenticity! We did this type party for a friends 40th birthday and it was fun. Unfortunately we were reliving out youth, not just having a theme party! :googly: