Best & Worst Solo Projects ?

MindCrime

What singers from good bands, that have gone on to their own solo careers did you like & dislike?

I liked Ozzy after Black Sabbath, even though he wasn't as good. His solo career mostly focused on controversy outside of the music scene, then wounded up being displayed for commercial use of a reality TV show. I heard more talent coming from his guitarists than I did his mouth, even though he has that dark voice that gives the music it's depth.

Robert Plant went on to his own singing during the 80?s, which was nowhere near the innovative fusion that Zeppelin had created. He had a lot of good songs, such as Tall Cool One, Big Log, & Ship of Fools (a strong ballad) but also a lot of dubious content like the Picture at Eleven album, which showcased him as a completely different singer. Some songs like Worse than Detroit has some nice Guitar work, & Burning Down One Side, which seems to be about him trying to track down his lost love. The album was sufficiently good, but not really his style.

I like Trey Anastacio's solo stuff,

I never really could get into Paul or Ringo's solo stuff, whereas George and John's stuff was excellent.

Smashing Pumpkins were pretty cool, but Billy Corgan's new stuff (Zwan and so on) are mediocre at best.

Does uh Slash's Snakepit count as solo for Slash?...(after a bit of research) no i guess not

I meant it as Solo or Projects(side bands) so yeah it would count, I could list about 20 different artists (of different genres) that went on to their own that were either good or bad.

Another one is Don Henley, he was pretty good as the Eagles drummer, but then went on to his own after the breakup. Dirty Laundry & All She Wants to Do is Dance, really weren't his style, & it sounded like he was trying to cash in on the 80's trend.

Another one is Don Henley, he was pretty good as the Eagles drummer, but then went on to his own after the breakup. Dirty Laundry & All She Wants to Do is Dance, really weren't his style, & it sounded like he was trying to cash in on the 80's trend.

Yeah, but I really liked "End of the Innocence." It was a really good album - I liked his duet w/Axl, the title track (of course), Last Worthless Evening & The Heart of the Matter is genius. I think his solo career peaked with this one.

All the Beatles have good solo work. Hard to pick a favorite. . .

Natalie Merchant's "Tiger Lily" is wonderful. She's a helluva song writer!

Hmm. . . must be in a positive mood because I can't think of any bad ones that haven't been mentioned. I'll sleep on it. :sleepy:

I think his solo career peaked with this one.

I agree that was his best album, it also displayed his influences & earlier references. My favorite song by him is Boys of Summer though, which was off of Number of the Beast. It wounded up being his biggest hit & even won Video of the Year on MTV in 1985.

I could have done without Pete Townshend's 1989 release, "The Iron Man." Since I am a huge fan of Townshend, I might have given this cd more of a chance than had it not been his. It never grew on me.

Then again, my favorite solo projects are also Townshend's.

"Empty Glass", "All the Best Cowboys Have Chineese Eyes", "White City" and even "PSYCHODERELICT" are often revisited.

My favorite song by him is Boys of Summer though, which was off of Number of the Beast.

That is a good song, with exceptional lyrics, the "deadhead sticker" line is one of my favorites of all time. "Heart of the Matter" is still my pick for best song, tho. :P

Eric Clapton was still good after leaving Cream, of course.

I absolutely adore Clapton. He's one of the most talented guitarists of our time. His blues CDs and Unplugged are sensational :guitar: :guitar: :guitar: :guitar: :guitar: :guitar:

funny you mention it, because last night on south park, all the kids were found to have ADD, and so they all got ritalin, and decided to go to a Phil Collins concert. Chef runs to the pharmacy before its too late, and tells them to stop selling ritalin. He then says "I didn't want to have to tell you this, but...the kids like Phil Collins. Of course, the pharmacy is shocked, and decides to stop selling it.

Yeah, but is that one of the best or worst LOL

I liked them, or a few of their songs, mostly off the debut album, I didn't care much for Pat Smear though, he didn't belong in Nirvana IMO

I agree but Pat was in The Germs how awesome is that. I think Kurt thought that too.

• 4 weeks later...

Ha! How apropos of the last topic.

Best solo work would have to be Bryan Ferry's outside of Roxy Music.

I never could get into Sting after The Police disbanded, so even though he's not the worst, I wouldn't consider buying any of his solo albums.

As a Beatle fan, the best and worst solo projects from each member are:

John: Best: "John Lennon/Plastic Ono Band"; Worst: "The Wedding Album"

Paul: Best: "Band On The Run"; Worst: "Give My Regards To Broadstreet"

George: Best "Cloud 9"; Worst: "Electronic Sound"

Ringo: Best "Ringo"; Worst: "Ringo The 4th"

============================================

Aside from The Beatles, I really loved Frank Black's first two post-Pixies albums. AND, I have just bought - and am thoroughly enjoying - Graham Coxon (ex-Blur)'s latest solo offering, "Happiness In Magazines". It's great, and quite possibly my contender for 'Album Of The Year'. [He'll be pleased about that, I am sure. ::]

does Bela Fleck's acoustic bluegrass session vol. 2 count as a solo project from the flecktones?

cuz if it does, that that album def. Even if you dont like the flecktones, theres a good chance you will like that album.

Bluegrass is probably the purest form of music there is, along with classical. No effects, no dubbing, etc. Either you can play, or you can't.There's no covering it up. The music stands on it's own.

By the way, what's "def"?

Bluegrass is probably the purest form of music there is, along with classical. No effects, no dubbing, etc. Either you can play, or you can't.There's no covering it up. The music stands on it's own.

By the way, what's "def"?

Well maybe I dislike it because of the performances I've seen, They "couldn't"