Green Day is...

Slowhand

The Nirvana thread was pretty fun, so let's get another fanboi debate going:

I say that Green Day ushered in Punk Rock in the same way that Nirvana ushered in Grunge. Green Day paved the way for Blink 182, The All American Rejects, Cartel, Fall Out Boy, Good Charlotte, My Chemical Romance, Sum 41, Taking Back Sunday, and Yellowcard. They were also responsible, for better or worse, for the three cord song in all it's catchy monotony.

So, I pose the question to you fishes, are they underrated, overrated, or accuratly rated in history up to this point? This is a different argument then Nirvana because Green Day is still alive and producing new material, but have been doing so for almost 20 years.

Oh you poor soul. If you think Green Day ushered in Punk Rock then you have much to learn. Perhaps they made it "cool" again, but they simply played music that was popularized 20 years before they were even a band.

Oh you poor soul. If you think Green Day ushered in Punk Rock then you have much to learn. Perhaps they made it "cool" again, but they simply played music that was popularized 20 years before they were even a band.

That music was made before they were a band, I'll give you that, but at that point in time the punk scene was still very much underground.

People (by in large) didn't start hearing about bands like The Clash, The Violent Femmes, The Sex Pistols, until the late 80's, which is right about the time Green Day was forming up. Dookie, their mainstream breakout, came out in 1994, but their earliest EP came out in 1989.

... and I never said Green Day was the FIRST. They did, however, usher in a completly new genre of music. Perhaps "Punk Rock" was the wrong term for it, Punk-Pop might have been a better term.

Wether or not you like them, you can't turn on the radio today without hearing a blatent Green Day knock off. Maybe that's because Green Day knocked off the Clash and the Pistols, but for a wide audience Green Day was the first, just like Nirvana wasn't the first grunge band but were responsible for the revolution.

Yes, they did make punk rock popular again, so I guess Green Day are one of the most influential bands in the world today.

However, I agree with BF. Punk Rock was very popular when the members of Green Day were still in nappies. Well, maybe not in nappies, but pretty young anyway.

Yes, they did make punk rock popular again, so I guess Green Day are one of the most influential bands in the world today.

However, I agree with BF. Punk Rock was very popular when the members of Green Day were still in nappies. Well, maybe not in nappies, but pretty young anyway.

I'm not claiming they stated Punk Rock, just that they most definietly brought it to a mainstream audience and brought it more exposure.

They only brought it to a younger (read: prepubescent) audience.

In the past few years, this is most definietly true. As far as I'm concerned, Green Day started to die after Insomniac, and then complely died after Nimrod. Warning and American Idiot aren't what I'm arguing here, that's popefied fluff aimed at 12 year olds and I know it. However, their first mainstream album, Dookie, was aimed at the adult alternative audience, the mid to late 20's crowd.

Green Day tried to be political and edgy with second rate protest/political songs but failed miserable. I think the older fans (people over 15) who were well aware of this band before American Idiot knew that they were never more than a good pop-punk band. Now I think bands changing musical direction is good, and even though it might turn out crap they still meant it. But for some reason I felt like GD were putting it on....

But hey, that's just my view....

Green Day tried to be political and edgy with second rate protest/political songs but failed miserable. I think the older fans (people over 15) who were well aware of this band before American Idiot knew that they were never more than a good pop-punk band. Now I think bands changing musical direction is good, and even though it might turn out crap they still meant it. But for some reason I felt like GD were putting it on....

But hey, that's just my view....

I actually agree with you, Green Day has become too political recently, but their old stuff is still amazing.