The Best Covers Top Ten

• Replies 287
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

actually, the first recording was by Smokey Robinson & the Miracles in 1967 :)

No, according to the songs' page:

This Motown classic about a man who finds out his woman is cheating on him was written by Norman Whitfield and Barrett Strong. Strong came up with the idea, and asked Motown writers Holland/Dozier/Holland to work on it with him. They refused to credit another writer, so Strong took it to Whitfield, who helped put it together. Whitfield and Strong recorded this with Gaye in 1967, but could not convince Motown head Berry Gordy to release it. He chose Holland/Dozier/Holland's "Your Unchanging Love" over this as Gaye's next single. When Gordy refused to release Gaye's version, Whitfield recorded it with a new Motown singer, Gladys Knight. He got her version released, and it became a #2 hit in the US, which led Gordy to reconsider and release Gaye's version. The version by Gladys Knight and The Pips was released first, but they were the fourth act to record it, after Smokey Robinson and the Miracles (who later released it on their Special Occasion LP), The Isley Brothers (their version is still unreleased) and Marvin Gaye.

Quote:This Motown classic about a man who finds out his woman is cheating on him was written by Norman Whitfield and Barrett Strong. Strong came up with the idea, and asked Motown writers Holland/Dozier/Holland to work on it with him. They refused to credit another writer, so Strong took it to Whitfield, who helped put it together. Whitfield and Strong recorded this with Gaye in 1967, but could not convince Motown head Berry Gordy to release it. He chose Holland/Dozier/Holland's "Your Unchanging Love" over this as Gaye's next single. When Gordy refused to release Gaye's version, Whitfield recorded it with a new Motown singer, Gladys Knight. He got her version released, and it became a #2 hit in the US, which led Gordy to reconsider and release Gaye's version. The version by Gladys Knight and The Pips was released first, but they were the fourth act to record it, after Smokey Robinson and the Miracles (who later released it on their Special Occasion LP), The Isley Brothers (their version is still unreleased) and Marvin Gaye.

Whoah !!! Discussion is great, but let's not over complicate things. :)

I know we all want to be accurate, but if you're not sure of the 'original' version, just put the version you know - the 'popularized' one.

They're hard to find sometimes, particularly if it's an obscure Album Track. I didn't know that Smokey Robinson and The Miracles released "I Heard It Through The Grapevine" before Gladys Knight and The Pips.

Same with "I Fought The Law". I knew Sonny Curtis wrote it (so I suppose it figures The Crickets recorded it somewhere), but The Bobby Fuller Four's was the only one I knew. I've never heard The Crickets' version.

You can always use Martin's Reference Lists to check. That's all I'll be using them for, because I'd rather come up with a couple all by myself.

BTW, it was his idea for this Top Ten, hosted by the lovely Radhi.

:headphones:

That's sacrilege, Laurie. :blush:

Actually Faith Evans' vocals are quite pleasant. :)

I still haven't forgiven Vanilla Ice for stealing Queen's 'Under Pressure' riff, nor M.C. Hammer for Rick James' 'Super Freak' riff. I hope those Rappers are made to pay royalties for the Real Music they "borrow/ sample" !

}:(

'Kids' from 'Bye, Bye Birdie'. I never saw the Stage Show, but what a great Movie. I can still see/hear Paul Lynde singing that song. (And see Ann-Margret who was always easy on the eyes.) Gee, that was 1963 !

:)

Lunch time, then I'd better think of two spectacular nominations !!!