Q. Lazarus Music

logan01

Is anyone familiar with the band Q. Lazarus. I find very little on them other than they are / were a German band. I have no idea if that is accurate. I just listened to a song of theirs titled "Goodbye Horses" which was very enjoyable. They are credited with another song titled "Heaven" which I would like to locate. Any ideas? Thanks.

I found this on another forum, dated 2004:

Unfortunately, Q Lazzie fans, there simply are no other recordings by this artist. She was discovered by Jonathan Demme, director of "Married to the Mob" and "Silence of the Lambs". "Goodbye Horses" was professionally recorded specifically for the former. However, there is a slightly extended mix available that's worth seeking out. It is definately downloadable online. Sorry I can't remember the address right now.

I found this source for an edit of the song.

It also states that they are a German band.

There is also a female singer Q.Lazzarus, who is credited with a song called Heaven.

Q Lazzarus

Q Lazzarus

Country United States

Years active 1988-1996

Genres Pop

Labels ?

Q Lazzarus is a female African-American singer, best known as a one hit wonder for the song "Goodbye Horses", which was featured in Married to the Mob, The Silence of the Lambs and Clerks II.

The lead singer of her band of the same name, Q Lazzarus is known for having a husky bass voice not unlike Kathleen Turner. Before she was discovered as a singer, she worked as a taxi driver in New York City. The band dissolved at some point before 1996. Apart from Q, Mark Barrett and songwriter William Garvey, nothing is known about the other band members.

The other info I found was exactly the same as Peaches.

Heaven

Everyone is trying to get to the bar.

The name of the bar, the bar is called Heaven.

The band in Heaven plays my favorite song.

They play it once again, they play it all night long.

Heaven is a place where nothing ever happens.

There is a party, everyone is there.

Everyone will leave at exactly the same time.

Its hard to imagine that nothing at all

could be so exciting, and so much fun.

When this kiss is over it will start again.

It will not be any different, it will be exactly

the same.

It's hard to imagine that nothing at all

could be so exciting, could be so much fun.

Heaven is a place where nothing every happens

Heaven is a place where nothing every happens

Thanks for all your responses. This is a bit strange. Based on my observations of Farin's excellent knowledge regarding music, bands, etc, I now question the accuracy of the band / person being of German origin. Guess I'll keep looking.

Thanks again :)

The one photo I've seen under google images shows a female Afro-American person. The voice sounds similar to the singer with the Thompson Twins or other bands from the 80s with the same sound. Very Euro - style music with the steady, machine - like drum beat, little bit of simple keyboard work, etc. The kind of music where a band member might have one side of their head shaved, the other side long and colored red or something. I know for a fact it's not Hank Williams Jr.! :jester:

• 2 months later...

Hello.

Q was my girlfriend .........

We met at a club in London when I was a promoter in Soho in 1990.

I managed the Q Lazzarus band for 2 years.

She was from Trenton New Jersey. The song was recorded in NYC. Q owned two Yellow Cabs and a medallion. She played her demo tape to Gary Goetzman, Exec Producer and Jonathan Demme, Director, when they took her cab.

She did rock music in London and recorded stuff with Zeus B Held on a production deal in Westbourne Grove, London, liasing with Bill Liesengang (Nina Hagen) - theres a tenuous German connection for you.... We went on to run a few rock clubs - see richarpwales on myspace - then moved stateside. We split when things didnt work out. Pity Q's London tapes were ruined in a damp basement while we were away.

Hope this helps your search for knowledge - I always thought she was a big talent, but the time wasnt right huh?

Cheers

Rich

Edited by Guest

...movie 'Philadelphia' (done by Jonathan Demme) you can see Q. Lazzarus perform 'Heaven' briefly

Jonathan Demme shot a thrilling version of "Heaven" in "Stop Making Sense" (well, an original, by David Byrne and Tina Weymouth, the second song of the concert...) he sure loves the song... :cool:

Happy birthday, richardpawles... :cool:

• 2 years later...

Anyone that wants to know more about this song, here are a few additional facts I've dug up. I'm sure there's much more to the story but...:

Lyrics and music were written by an English dude named William Garvey. http://www.garveymedia.com/garvey/Goodbye_Horses.html

The original recording featured Q Lazzarus and after the success of the Silence of the Lambs, they went back and recorded a longer version of the song for a commercial re-release. Several versions have been recorded since then by the same artist, including Q Lazzarus (who only has one other song, also made for a movie called Heaven (the song, not the movie) ...I forget what movie it was for). I actually found a version of it here: http://www.mp3raid.com/music/heaven_q_lazzarus.html

Before I say this, I want to make it clear I am only repeating what I read. I have no actual credible reason to repeat it now, other than someone else did before me. That said, some websites say she disappeared because she was always a heroine addict and after the success of the song, she had plenty of money to really explore that as one of the major "interests" of her life ...and more or less disappeared. I don't know if she's really a junkie.

Other websites have said she went to live in Denmark.

Psyche re-recorded the song later and I don't feel like typing any more so here's the link. This will be more thorough information anyway.

http://www.psyche-hq.de/goodbye-horses/

Edited by Guest