Flight of the Conchords

Batman

apparently these guys are pretty popular in New Zealand, but not so much here in the US. They've got a hilarious show on HBO which I watch at my friends house sometimes, and online. They're kind of like the kiwi Tenacious D, except I like these guys even more. They play comedy folk.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N7vgY0yEs9Y

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JT5AQIlmM0I

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Inner City Pressure

Counting coins on the counter of the 7/11.

From a quarter past six til a quarter to seven.

The manager, Bevin, starts to abuse me.

Hey man, I just want some musely.

Neon signs, hidden messages.

Questions, answers, fetishes.

You know you’re not in high finance.

Considering second hand underpants.

Check your mind, how’d it get so bad?

What happened to those other underpants you had?

Look in your pockets, haven’t found a cent yet.

Tenants on your balls, “Have you payed your rent yet?â€

Inner. Inner city. Inner city pressure.

Inner. Inner city. Inner city pressure.

• 7 months later...

This is seriously my best album of 2008.

I don't know where this idea that they are folk comes from though... is it because it's just the two of them with acoustic guitars when they play live?

There's nothing folky about their album. I can hear Pet Shop Boys, Prince, Black Eyed Peas, rap, Bowie, Marvin Gaye, Barry White.

This is what Weird Al wants to be when he grows up. Genuinely funny, genuinely musical, satirical pastiche.

Brilliant.

LBBB

wehn they started out, their live stuff was all folk...I bet it still is actually

No, not at all. Take a look on youtube for live versions of Boom, Bowie, Robots, Hiphopapotamus. Two guys with acoustic guitars, but apart from that there's nothing folk about it.

Of course, I could be crazy.

LBBB

I will never be able to thank Peaches and Tim enough for bringing the diastematic, sideburned, glasses wearing hotness that is Jemaine Clement into my life.

I will have to watch Sugar Lumps about 497 more times. It may even top Bret,etc. as my favorite FotC song. Reasons-

1-"you probably think that my pants have the mumps"

2-britches, dungarees, pantaloons and kerfuffle

3-Bret reviving the "Prince of Parties" costume

4-Bret's zebra shirt

5-"$10 bucks and a frisbee"

...but mostly I just said they were "comedy folk" because that's the way they describe themselves

Actually, I believe they describe themselves as "Formerly New Zealand's fourth most popular guitar-based digi-bongo acapella-rap-funk-comedy folk duo" ;-)

I really just don't want anybody to miss out on the Conchords because they hear the word "folk" and think booooring. This is very clever satire/parody/pastiche that should appeal to any lover of pop music. And as actual music, I would say that they are a big step above, for example, Spinal Tap or the Rutles.

Anyway, do you LIKE them?

LeeBBBB