art vs. entertainment

Batman

I listen to music mainly to be entertained by it...

Which isn't to say that I can't appreicate the artful side of it, but it's more because I like what I'm hearing, not what is being said.

Take Queen for example, their lyrics weren't anything I couldn't write, but they are just an amazing band. Pure entertainment, and that's why I listen.

I'll go with entertainment because there's a high chance it'll also be artful. Whereas something made for the sake of art has a high chance of being a total waste. I mean, at the very least I can laugh at the train wreck that is paris hilton and spear britnay, but I absolutely loathe hackson pollock.

I listen to music mainly to be entertained by it...

Which isn't to say that I can't appreicate the artful side of it, but it's more because I like what I'm hearing, not what is being said.

Take Queen for example, their lyrics weren't anything I couldn't write, but they are just an amazing band. Pure entertainment, and that's why I listen.

Well, it's not like art is all in lyrics. There is plenty of art in instrumental music, just listen to Explosions in the Sky or Godspeed You! Black Emperor.

I'll go with entertainment because there's a high chance it'll also be artful. Whereas something made for the sake of art has a high chance of being a total waste. I mean, at the very least I can laugh at the train wreck that is paris hilton and spear britnay, but I absolutely loathe hackson pollock.

You know, that is a good point. Bad entertainment often has the ability to be so bad it's good (Fergalicious, 300, MTV's reality shows). But bad art can just be irritating. But I still stand by my "art > entertainment" stance, because I like to think of this question in terms of "good art vs. good entertainment." I suppose it's because I'm not as cynical as I used to be.

I couldn´t really decide about it... I used to be "art" and actually loved "avant-garde" or non-comercial music. But I am no longer sure about it. I love ABBA and The Bee Gees... I wouldn´t call it "art". Maybe music is more "entertainement" for me...

I'm finding it hard to draw a distinction between what is art and what is entertainment. For me I listen to music for enjoyment and what music I enjoy kind of depends on where I am, what I'm doing, how I'm feeling etc.

I'm kind of guessing that by entertainment you mean commercial music the kind of stuff that's catchy, fun, easy to listen to perhaps but not the most thought provoking stuff...but what are some examples of music or bands who create music that you would consider purely art?

Too much of a grey area, music is different to everyone and how can you say you favor the art side or the entertainment side or any of the other sides to music? Depends on the artist or band and your mood for that day. I can't choose, mainly because I have days when I just want to listen to music just for the fun of it, and then days when I need the songs that have the deep lyrics, or a long instrumental. My choice, all music that makes me feel good, the art, the entertainment, and everything in between.

I couldn´t really decide about it... I used to be "art" and actually loved "avant-garde" or non-comercial music. But I am no longer sure about it. I love ABBA and The Bee Gees... I wouldn´t call it "art". Maybe music is more "entertainement" for me...

I dunno...The BeeGees' earlier stuff was pretty artful.

I'd have to pick art over entertainment hands down. Music that will make me think can keep me interested far longer than a catchy melody.

I cannot choose between the two, as my favorite music is a mixture of art and entertainment. One of my favorite albums is "Bat Out Of Hell" which is a story told to music. Meatloaf makes it fun. Many artists have done this type of thing, including Pink Floyd, The Who, etc. by mixing art with entertainment.