Your Rock T-shirts

blind-fitter

I know it's a bit juvenile, but I have quite a collection of band T-shirts, which I wear frequently. (I still wear button badges too :blush: ) Some I wear with pride, some have great sentimental value, others may have a tale attached to their acquisition.

Currently my band T-shirt collection includes:

Gang Of Four : red shirt, motif is the front cover of "Entertainment!" - my favourite album.

Sky Larkin - white T, red logo, quite a recent acquisition, as befits a band who haven't yet scored a record deal.

PJ Harvey - dark blue, the logo is the cover of her last album "Uh Huh Her". Bought it when I went to see her a couple of years back. In hindsight, wish I'd bought the (cheaper) "4-track demos cover" shirt. This one has the F-word on it, so I can't wear it to work. :(

Chumbawamba - "Anti-Fascist", bought a long time ago (pre their worlwide infamy) direct from the band.

Gold Blade - red/black hoops, with a very piratical look: I've just about lost enough weight recently to start looking good in this one.

Angelic Upstarts - My pride and joy. Black T/white logo; the front cover of the "I'm An Upstart" single. A particular feature is the "Cut & Paste kidnap note" lettering, which includes a delightfully perverse misplaced apostrophe. :o

Kings Of Leon - when I first saw KoL in concert, just before Youth & Young Manhood came out, I'd never even heard of them, but was well impressed. These T-shirts were on sale at the gig, fawn with Kings Of Leon and the "two cherries" logo: I didn't buy 'cos I didn't like - too 70s, "Fruit Of The Loom"-looking. I magine my delight when, 6 months later, my mother-in-law gave me one for Christmas.

Queens Of The Stone Age - "Songs For The Deaf" red on black, rather satanic-looking. Another unlikely gift from ma-in-law.

Killing Joke - white on red, first album "graffiti" logo. Truth be told, this XL is too big even for a brick shithouse like me. Tends to be worn in bed, instead of pyjamas.

Adam And The Ants - Image of Adam from the "Kings Of The Wild Frontier" single cover, (I think). Not actually the one I wanted, but one shouldn't look a gift horse in the mouth, I suppose.

Nerve Rack - slogan: "The Enema Within" image: "leeches on human face, and man with tongue hanging out". Shapeless and stained, as befits the band, really.

Nerve Rack - "Cleansing The Streets Of Scum", another "pride and joy", but which has recently gone missing. :( Really hope I find it. I loved that shirt...

"MakeBonoHistory" - white logo on plum (or perhaps cerise?) background. Another favourite.

Apologies to any of my T-shirts I have missed.

Anybody else enjoy their band T-shirts? :)

I'm jealous of that KoL shirt, one of my favorites at the moment.

I have:

A replica of the 1981 Rolling Stones world tour shirt, it's brown with lighter brown speckles on it.

A pretty standard Queen shirt with the lions and whatnot on it.

A Better Than Ezra shirt that's blue and only has their logo on it.

A black Billy Joel t-shirt, bought from his tour when he came to OKC. Tour locations and such on the back.

And a really, really old Stevie Ray Vaughn shirt. I don't even wear this shirt because it's so cool.

I have four. An AC/DC shirt that my mother bought me a very long time ago, very simple, black with a realistic lightning bolt coming down the front. The other three are concert shirts. Aerosmith: Has the band on the front, Steven Tyler on a motorcycle in the middle. The Rolling Stones: Very cool, has the Bigger Bang stage on the front. It's my lucky shirt, I've only ever had good days while wearing it. Eric Clapton: A much younger Clapton on the front surrounded by psychedelic orangeness. All of these shirts are black. I've yet to find a decent Doors shirt, and obviously I'm not going to get one from a concert...

My sons wear my vintage rock T-shirts these days:

Bowie (2) I from the Ziggy Stardust tour of the US. The other from the tour where David Live was recorded. I went to Philly for that one.

Tull - From 1978 and much later during the Tullivision tour.

Queen - Many assorted. I saw them 10 times.

Zep from Madison Square Garden 1975 I think.

Pink Floyd - Alarge pig on the front from the Animals tour.

Blondie - circa 1978??

there are more, but these stick out in my mind. When I bought them they seemed expensive, but now some 30 years later..they are still worn (and as high fashion) by my sons. My daughter has her own stuff thank you.

Okay, totally going to "date" myself here... I have a shirt, from a "Kansas" concert where the never-heard-of warm up band gave out an album (yep, not a CD...actual album) and t-shirt to everyone at the concert. That unkown band was Genesis. What a difference decades make, eh? (I don't wear the shirt, any more, but will never let it go...)

I have quite the collection of Grateful Dead shirts:

http://www.hippieshop.com/cgi-bin/gold/item/21024

http://www.edeadshop.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=877 (this one is long sleeve)

http://liquidblue.com/index.cfm/fuseaction/tshirts.detail/cat/rock/subcat/grateful_dead/code/11508/sunflower_terrapin.html

http://liquidblue.com/index.cfm/fuseaction/tshirts.detail/cat/rock/subcat/grateful_dead/code/11383/space_your_face.html

Lots that aren't available anymore, too.

Several Willie shirts, most of which I can't find online and several vintage (from my dad's early concert-going days :) )

http://i14.ebayimg.com/02/i/07/79/a3/04_1_b.JPG

I'm sorry but I am one of those folks who find the whole 'advertising the band at my own expense' exercises quite annoying. If they give me a freebie and I thought they were any good, then, yeah, I'll wear it. But pay for them to advertise themselves? There can only be one reason you would do that....it is to show how ineffably cool you were to be at their gig...and thereby lies danger. Why-oh-why would I want anyone to know I'd ever been to a Nerverack gig?

I'd deny it on oath, even with a caiman crocodilus attached to my left nipple. Who the hell wants anyone to know they've been to a Coldplay concert?

Best t-shirt ever? 9 Below Zero, 1980. Dried like a dishcloth, never needed ironing...fell to bits around 1990...top gig. top band. :)

... But pay for them to advertise themselves? There can only be one reason you would do that....it is to show how ineffably cool you were to be at their gig...and thereby lies danger. Why-oh-why would I want anyone to know I'd ever been to a Nerverack gig?

I'd deny it on oath, even with a caiman crocodilus attached to my left nipple. Who the hell wants anyone to know they've been to a Coldplay concert?

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :thumbsup:

I don't quite know where, or how, my next comment fits in. It's almost (almost) worth a thread of its own, but, a good friend of mine has just quoted some Snow Patrol lyrics to me as if they were deep and meaningful...it's the verbal/aural equivalent of wearing a U2 t-shirt to my birthday party...how do I show them the door?

:blush:

Hmmm...not such a bad riposte...why are Keane so bad?...honestly, I need to know...I mean, I f*****g hate them...but that doesn't seem to be evidence enough in a 'reasoned debate'.

:crazy:

Edited by Guest
Because everybody knows you can't use the F word here.

I had about 15 shirts, but lost all but one in my divorce, my ex bought them so he got them, I did keep a Springsteen shirt, but it's worn and I keep it the drawer. I have more programs than shirts really, that is something you can read, have pictures and doesn't wear out. Nowadays, the price of a t-shirt is crazy!! Most that was paid on the ones I had was $12, that might get you a button today.

As far as I recall, my first ever band T-shirt was a Dead Kennedys ; the front cover of the "California Uber Alles" single on a black T. I probably still have it somewhere, though it's far too small for me now. I keep lots of the ones that I've grown out of. I'm anticipating that later in life I will experience "senile shrinkage" (don't know the clinical term), so that one day I will be the coolest punk in the Care Home, wearing all my old Ts that don't fit me right now. :)

I have about 50 Grateful Dead t-shirts, including this one -

Hawaiian Aoxomoxoa

aor3.jpg

Jimi Hendrix Axis Bold as Love

200px-Axis.jpg

Discourage Inbreeding...Ban Country Music

003842SLTSd.jpg

Various record label t-shirts like Sun Records and Blind Pig.

My best t-shirt shows Keith Richards wearing a "Who the f*ck is Mick Jagger" (circa 1972 or so) which I bought from Sticky Fingers magazine... an old bootleg Rolling Stones fanzine.

Then I have about 150 collectors Grateful Dead decals, but that's another thread...

:cool:

:laughing: love that country one bluesy, and the mick jagger one!

Mine are all pretty standard...all bought at the concerts for $50+. Total rip offs. So I have: Metallica, two Kiss, Eagles, Elton John, Rolling Stones and two Alice Cooper.

My favourite is a white Kiss t-shirt with the an early picture of the band in black on it. When you turn out the lights, the word 'KISS' glows in the dark :grin:

Hmmm...not such a bad riposte...why are Keane so bad?...honestly, I need to know...I mean, I f*****g hate them...but that doesn't seem to be evidence enough in a 'reasoned debate'.

:crazy:

they are bland and hailed as being a very good rock band. same with coldplay. bland bland bland! and now people think they like rock because they like "everybody's changing" (although I wil admit I have the album and will occasionally sing along).

as for the t-shirts, I generally used to buy the fake ones sold outside gigs because they were so much cheaper. I have a fake grandaddy t-shirt, a fake muse hoodie, a fake bush t-shirt, and have appropriated my boyfriend's fake grandaddy hoodie too.

as for genuine band t-shirts, I have a pulp one (they have such good t-shirts!), a cureone, a genuine museone (although the brand seems to be the same as my fake bush t-shirt),a killersone and a long sleeve franz ferdinandone.

I have a Goo Goo Dolls (shut up) concert tee from 1999 that has a buffalo on the front. I also have a tee from one of the myriad KISS farewell tours back in the late 90s/early 00s. I had a grazillion concert tees back in the 80s but they have slowly disappeared over time. I think they are rocking out with one sock from every pair I have ever owned.