Vote for Springfield

RonJonSurfer

Of course, if the movie centered around Homer's boss, there would be the perfect place: Montgomery, WV. That's Mr. Burns's middle name. And across the river is a town called Smithers. (These two places existed before "The Simpsons.") Does Matt Groening know about this?

The Winner is.........

Springfield, Vt., has won a USA Today web poll asking which hometown the Simpsons are from and will host the premiere of "The Simpsons Movie" later this month.

The results were announced at 2 p.m. Tuesday. Actors from Vermont's video entry were at the film commission in Montpelier awaiting the results.

According to the USA Today poll, Springfield, Vt. recieved 15,367 votes. Springfield, Ill. came in second with 14,643.

Brock Rutter, Associate Director of the film commission said, "We're really thrilled to have won." Rutter added "I think we won on the strength of the five minute video, which I think was the best one out there."

Springfield, Vt. competed against 13 other Springfields from across the United States for the honor. Initially, Springfield was not invited to compete in the contest due to its size. But when it learned of the competition it started its video a full two weeks behind other Springfields.

Once the voting started last week, Vermont Gov. Jim Douglas got in on the action, casting his vote for Vermont's Springfield Monday morning. Upon learning of Springfield's victory Douglas said, "To all the other Springfields, I say 'Don’t have a cow, man.'"

Vermont Sen. Pat Leahy said, "We’re glad for the honor, and today we’re all from Springfield. As much as we Vermonters prize our privacy, we also welcome this attention to our beautiful state. Homer, Marge, Bart, Lisa and Maggie will look great on that yellow carpet with the Green Mountains as a backdrop.â€

The movie will premiere at the Springfield Movie Theater on Saturday, July 21

Thanks, Radhi :grin:

Apparently, the other Springfields get the movie early, just not the actual premier. Besides, I don't think I can sit in a theatre for a couple hours at this point anyway. That Saturday will most likely be spent stalking my husband on the off-chance he puts down the new Harry Potter book to go to the bathroom or something :laughing: