2001: A space Oddysey

Batman

:help: :help: :help:

Im sorry, but I didn't understand anything in this movie. I'm sure its got a ton of symbolism, but I don't know what it is. My biggest 3 questions are

1. What did the black square represent?

2. How did the main astronaut suddenly become old, then older, then a fetus?

3. Why did they show him traveling through light for so long?

It would be greatly appreciated if someone smarter than me could answer these questions, or even better, show me a website breaking down and analyzing the scenes of "2001" Because I am sure there are plenty of them.

Thanks!

Batman --

The best source for insight into your questions is the novel 2001:A Space Oddysey by Arthur C. Clarke. It was created in conjunction with the movie which was based on Clarke's story 'The Sentinel '.

I haven't read much science fiction lately, but Clarke is a big name in the field. Another novel Childhood's End was kind of a counter-culture favorite back in the late 60s.

As you said, there can't be any shortage of sites eager to analyze the film. But I got a lot of information from the book.

It becomes clearer if you read or watch "2010". The monolith somehow represents the beginning of life. When travelling through the light Dave is transformed into some kind of energy existing on a higher plane, as infant and adult at the same time. In "2010" the monoliths multiply on Jupiter causing an increased mass that through gravitation causes the planet to collapse inward and then explode much like the Sun is always collapsing inward and exploding on itself. And Jupiter becomes the equivalent of a second Sun. One of Jupiter's moons, Europa, is said to have frozen water on it. The movie uses this moon as the origin of new life in our solar system. People on Earth arn't allowed to interfer with the new life on Europa until the time that whatever new life on that moon tries to contact them. "2001" does kind of leave some questions up in the air. I don't know if I am smarter than you as you asked for responders to be, but I have seen the sequal and read the second book. I also stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night. :: Rent "2010", the whole thing will make a lot more sense. It's also a good movie.

I would guess you are! my favorite movie is Dumb and Dumber!

Yes, I prefer higher art films such as "Caddyshack". :: I really just wanted to use that 'Holiday Inn Select' line from the commercial. "No I'm not a brain surgeon, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Select last night." I love those commercials. :coolio:

I'd of thought you'd preferred sleeping with Howard's Johnson.

hojo_logo.gif

:laughing:

I might, but I can't picture myself dating anyone named "Howard". I appreciate your concern, Musik. However, I've met a new guy, so I won't be sharing my frustrations on these boards for a while. ::

I have to admire any man who would name a chain of hotels after his 'Johnson'. Must be a really impressive 'Johnson'.