Tube tops, er, Top of the Tube

Otokichi

Summer TV is either dull (Network reruns rampant) or interesting. Once and a while it's fantastic. PBS' Nova featured "Bone Diggers," a look at how an email attachment led a team of archeologists to a treasure trove in Australia. Many kilometers East of Perth, a previously unexplored cave system yielded the complete skeleton of a marsupial lion, known only by a few fragments in the 19th century. Then there were the numerous kangaroo and wallaby ancestors, one that had sported horns! Shades of Roy Chapman Andrews, this was a science adventure. :thumbsup:

Lately, I've been ditching network TV for PBS, Discovery, etc. On WGBH's Mystery! "Foyle's War IV" continues to mix detective work with Morality. "History Detectives" have found some things don't add up, but when they do, it's National Treasure time! On "Nova," there's evidence that the Spanish Conquistadores had local help to crush "The Great Inca Rebellion." On P.O.V., a closeup look at "Sierra Leone's Refugee All Stars," some of whom lost limbs to barbaric rebel paramilitary forces. Simon Schama has looked over the shoulders of a number of artists: Van Gogh, Picasso, and that criminal, Caravaggio. Then there are the music shows, starting with Austin City Limits and Soundstage. Although one has to put up with pledge drives, 12 Girls Band, La Lupe, Ella Fitzgerals, Donovan, Yanni, Il Divo, Roy Orbison, Bruce Springsteen, and Paul Simon are a great substitute for reruns and "reality TV" Summer fare. :thumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Snow is falling, writers are on strike, and NBC is going to UN-Reality shows. While the appeal of "Desperate Housewives" eludes me (if these were Iraqi housewives, that title would fit.), I'm in Elmo, AK and SFO. "Men In Trees" and "Women's Murder Club" continue to remind me that not all network TV is forgettable garbage. So, as "It's A Wonderful Life" follows "Merry Christmas, Charlie Brown!" it's time to play "The Inspector Lynley Mysteries: Series One to Three." :beatnik:

Edited by Guest

• 2 weeks later...

The Discovery Channel marathons are running this week. Yesterday it was "Survivorman," today it's Jamie & Adam, the "Mythbusters." Thursday, roll up your sleeves for more "Dirty Jobs" than you can mess up, and, on Friday, it's "Bear" Grylls and the "Man vs. Wild" crew. :afro:

• 3 weeks later...

For Jane Austen chick flick fans out there, public TV is running "The Complete Jane Austen" series on "Masterpiece (Theater)." This "anti-Bodice-ripper" set includes new and old/classic productions of: "Persuasion," "Northanger Abbey," "Mansfield Park," "Sense and Sensibility," "Emma," "Pride and Prejudice," as well as a look at the life and loves of the author. :beatnik: :jester: :sleepy: :coolio: