Jackson Browne

I felt this thread is overdue. Jackson Browne is one of the most talented singer/songwriters in the music world.

I have been a fan since the 70's. Hearing his first album Jackson Browne in high school, I fell in love with his songwriting in an instant. And the songs that were recorded by The Eagles, Joan Baez, Linda Rondstant and others made Jackson Browne known as one the most gifted songwriters of the 70's. He was close friends with Warren Zevon, another great singer/songwriter, and produced albums for Warren.

I would say my favorite album is The Pretender. It was a look into his soul and the tragedy he went through with the suicide death of his wife Phyllis. He put it all in words and music to share with us and that is one of the most intimate things you can do without being with a person. And he shared those very personal feelings with the world.

My love of Jackson Browne did change after his album Hold Out. I once again fell in love with the songs from this album which was released in 1980, but then Jackson changed, becoming very political, and somewhat commercial. Which is fine, but it seemed to be all he wanted to write about, I missed the soul of Jackson Browne.

I am still a fan of the early Jackson Browne, and would tell anyone if they have not really taken a listen to his material, check out the albums from the 70's. He says so much from his soul and you will feel every emotion with him as he sings.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My love of Jackson Browne did change after his album Hold Out. I once again fell in love with the songs from this album which was released in 1980, but then Jackson changed, becoming very political, and somewhat commercial. Which is fine, but it seemed to be all he wanted to write about, I missed the soul of Jackson Browne.

you put into words exactly what I felt when that "Lawyers In Love" album came out. I think "Running On Empty" was my favorite Jackson Browne album. I saw him in concert in the "Hold Out" tour, and he was exceptional.

Jane (and Shawna!!) I'm glad to see that others besides myself love the writing of Jackson Browne.

Like both of you, I feel his earlier work is by far the best he has, with The Pretender topping the list. Browne used tragedy to inspire a song, and influence an entire album, making it one of rock and roll's greats, in my opinion.

He did become very politically minded, but many of our great songwriters have, Bob Dylan the most obvious example. That's what happens with talented people that feel deeply I suppose. He feels strongly about the issues he writes and sings about, and uses his talent to further his causes. I don't think he can be faulted for that, but I think everyone would like to see him return to some of the style we all love.

Jackson Browne was inducted into the Songwriter's Hall of Fame on June 6, 2007, a place he's deserved to be for quite some time.

Janey m'girl, Jackson Browne is in my top ten of favorite artists! I too, hope that some who aren't well aquainted with his music will take the time to become so.

He has, I believe, one of the best "Official Websites" that I've seen, complete with sound clips (nice long ones) off of all the albums. Check this out...

The Very Best Of Jackson Browne

Edited by Guest

Like Jackson I tried to introduce many ladies to my red neck friend.

Pretty little one

How has it all begun?

They're teaching you how to walk

But youre already on the run

Little one--

What you gonna do?

Little one--

Honey, its all up to you

Now your daddys in the den shootin' up the evening news

Mama's with a friend, lately she's been so confused

Little one--

Come on and take my hand

I may not have the answer but I believe I got a plan

Honey you shake and I'll rattle and we'll roll on down the line

And see if we can't get in touch with a very close friend of mine

But let me clue you in, it aint like him

To argue or pretend--

Honey let me introduce you to my redneck friend

Well they've got a little list of all those things of which they don't approve

They've got to keep their eyes on you or you might make your move

Little one--

I really wish you would

Little one--

I think the damage would do you good

Honey you shake and I'll rattle and well roll on down the line

We're going to forget all about the battle

Its gonna feel so fine

cause he's the missing link, the kitchen sink--

Eleven on a scale of ten

Honey you shake and I'll rattle and we'll roll on down the line

I'm going to try to swing you up into my saddle

And then we'll run but you'll think were flyin'

Now honey don't just stand there

Lookin' like this dream will never end

I love the music of Jackson Browne. Browne, Bob Seger, John Fogerty & John Mellencamp are my favourite American singer/songwriters. Although I like almost all of Browne's early work, my favourite 70's album is "For Everyman" which contains one of my favourite Browne tunes "Redneck Friend". (Yeah, Uncle Joe!!!) I love electric slide guitar and David Lindley (a longtime Browne collaborator and an amazingly versatile musician) plays a mean one on this tune.

I think his later work is good but not great like his 70's and early 80's material.

I loved JB and both The Pretender and Running on Empty were played to death by me in the 70's...since then I discovered that one of my favourites by him, The Road, was a cover of a Danny O'Keefe song (check him out...Breezy Stories is a hidden classic) and several of his other 'greats' were also covers...but , overall, top talent!

Didn't he go through a dodgy 'bitch-slappin' thing with Darryl Hannah more recently? Might he not be the sensitive poet we all know and love.?

Still...good tunes, good player...who cares if he's Ike Turner on the sly? ;)

Ah, I'm a huge Springsteen fan but Jackson Browne has his own style and yeah the rest take a cue from Springsteen but not such a bad thing, ya know? ;)

You do realize that, other than Mellencamp, all the others were around quite a while before Springsteen? In fact, Fogerty's band had already released six albums and had broken up for good a couple years before Springsteen released his debut.

I did take Lizard's comment as tongue-in-cheek, however. It was funny. But Janey, I suggest you attend a course in Rock History 101.

:afro: :afro: :afro: :jester:

You do realize that, other than Mellencamp, all the others were around quite a while before Springsteen? In fact, Fogerty's band had already released six albums and had broken up for good a couple years before Springsteen released his debut.

I did take Lizard's comment as tongue-in-cheek, however. It was funny. But Janey, I suggest you attend a course in Rock History 101.

:afro: :afro: :afro: :jester:

sammy I got a course I could teach you! ;)

And I know my rock history, but when you listen to some songs from them after Bruce hit the scene big, you can hear the same type of writing. I'm not saying Bruce is the almighty, well I would to him if he was right here next to me, but I think all artists are influenced by one another and Bruce had a good thing going back in the day, so why not try to do that in your own way??

I will stay after class if you want me to sammy! :)