Nix and The Stray

Blue Fish

This is some of a story I was planning on reading on Sunday to an audience. I'd very much like your constructive comments on it, bear in mind it is not all the story, just some of it. (sorry if it's long!):cool:

Nix And The Stray.

It was the twentieth day of the six month and it has to be said that there was no boy quite as bored as Nix. He had absolutely nothing to do but play his computer games, sleep and eat. He had played ALL of his games, eaten all of his food and slept so much he wasn’t sure what it was like to be awake, or even what the difference was betwixt dreams and reality. He lay on the flat roof of his house staring at the stars and dreaming. Or he could be awake he didn’t really know, “reality could be nothing but a dream in a confused Gods head†mused Nix as he stared at the Big Dog and counted all the stars, at least he tried to, “yet who can see or judge the true extent or true unspoilt beauty of such a vast free space, such as that of the stars?†Nix thought about this for a while and then realised there was some sort of truth in it, “I mean, if I was to go right to the edge of the universe and then count all the stars in it I, as a human, could never do it without spoiling it in some way†Nix said this out loud, only meaning the stars and moon to hear his musings but, he had an audience of one, a lone stray was sitting in his front garden watching him on the roof.

This stray cocked its head to one side as Nix said this and gave a low whine. “this is a deep thinking boy†it thought as it watched Nix close his eyes to doze â€and yet maybe he thinks to much about far off things, and not enough about the practical side to life and the preservation of his own†the dog stood and barked as Nix started to roll on the roof. Nix was in the middle of a strange dream where he was in the street and a hot dog barked at him when he felt a sharp pain in his head. “oww,†thought Nix before everything went dark.

The Stray Whined again and licked its nose, “bother,†it thought, “I needed that boy. “ It trotted over to Nix’s unmoving body where it had crashed onto the Tarmac and poked it with his nose. “No, not moving. Bother. I can’t use a phone… What to do?†It barked in annoyance and to its surprise a person stopped and ran over to it “Oh Gosh, what a terrible mess.†They said as they dialled a three digit number into a phone, “What a splattering of….oh hello? Yes, I’m afraid there's been quite a nasty accident…â€

Beep. Beep. Beep. Beep. “Uh, make it stop†thought Nix groggily before he opened his eyes. “Make it stop!†he said out loud as he realised the noise was right by his ear, and he couldn’t see anything. “Well, I’d rather you didn’t make it stop again, you gave us an awful fright when that happened last time!†a round jolly face came into focus, “That’s your heart making that machine beep!†Nix Blinked a few times as the ambulance came into focus. “Where am I?†He asked the Doctor, “In a traffic jam on StarRoad 236, we should get to the Hospital in about three hundred and five light years. If this traffic clears away sometime soon. I’m afraid the only hospital that could glue your head back together is on Horus, so that’s where we’re headed. Sorry old chum†Nix’s eyes were beginning to close in confused tiredness when he felt something cold and wet touch his hand. “What the…? Spooky…†Nix Slipped into unconcisness.

“Welcome to Horus, we hope you have the loveliest of happy days here and that you’ll get the hell off our planet soon†Chirped the machine as the Ambulance screamed past it. “Horus?†The Stray cocked its ear and whined in alarm as it accidentally poked Nix’s hand with it’s nose when they landed on the surface “This is no place for a sick boy who’s just cracked his head open on a street in England!! He doesn’t even know about us, Space Travel or anything outside Europe!†The Stray snapped in annoyance at the driver. “Okay, Keep your hair on Goosh, we’ll sort it out. Sheesh, there's really no need to panic, he took the news that he was in outer space very well.â€

Goosh barked in annoyance “He was semi-concussed you idiot! He just splatted his head on a pavement! What was wrong with Truro Hospital? Really, I despair of you…â€