The most dangerous/risky thing you've done

Otokichi

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Another foolish episode involved me finding an artillery shell in a field whilst walking the dog. Being 14, I figured it would look good in my bedroom all polished up... I picked it up and placed it in a bread basket I also found nearby, and dragged it home for 4 miles. Upon seeing it, my old man went up the wall and called bomb-disposal. Turned out it was an unexploded 25Lb high explosive round left over from when the local marshes were use by the army as a firing range during WWII. It was gingerly handled into the back of a Land Rover and taken to an island off the coast to be detonated in safety... oops!!

I hate when that happens.

I love RonJon´s sense of humour... :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Great headlines and great comments... :cool:

I stopped attending the "Therapeutic Knitting Class" when I was aggressively accused of "stealing" somebody's needle, when of course, I'd only borrowed it.

You don't stick around to mess with drunken rugby-players. :o

(Is there a suitable smiley to represent "mock fear"? If not,this should be addressed)

Back in Jan '02, I wasn't a good skateboarder, and I still amn't. I don't do it anymore. I was in an indoor park, and I went down a big ramp for the 3rd time. The first 2 times I made it down fine, and I only fell off at the end onto a funbox. But the 3rd, oh no.

I heard a loud crack, everything went black. Then I opened my eyes. I was in tremendous pain. My ankle had twisted, and it was hanging off the end of my leg. In other words, the two bones in my leg completely snapped in half. That risk didn't pay off at all!!.

Don't you just long to feel that now? We fear so much today. Now, I only see that fearlessness in my children....and then I fear for them...why? :crazy:

I recall hearing of a study that suggested a lack of discretion for safety at young age is physiological. It was suggested the brain area that quantifies risk is the last to develope. Makes sense. At my age, I am constantly amazed at how many times I can prevent carrying/tripping/lack of discretion accidents that plagued me when younger. It is a fact that young drivers risk (and lose) much more frequently than older drivers. Beyond just driving experience (learning to drive is not that difficult), it is many times attributable to a "daredevil" attitude. It is this attitude that many associate with immature behavior. The study suggests some underdevelopment in the brain is the cause. Hence many times we hear, "What were you thinking?" "You didn't use your head!" or (my dad's favorite as I was growing up) "If they stuck your brain into a gnat's behind; it'd roll around like a BB in a boxcar!"

From the Urban Dictionary:

1. goldbricker:

Someone who cheats at completing a task, duty, or job.

To cheat; swindle.

2. goldbricker:

noun. A person who always has a better story to tell.

Whatever the truth is, Johnny got a lot more info than he probably expected. :)

gold·brick /ˈgoʊldˈbrɪk for 1, 2; ˈgoʊldˌbrɪk for 3–5/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[gohld-brik for 1, 2; gohld-brik for 3–5] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation

–noun 1. Informal. a brick made to look like gold, sold by a swindler.

2. Informal. anything supposed to be valuable but which turns out to be worthless.

3. Also, goldbricker. Slang. a person, esp. a soldier, who shirks responsibility or performs duties without proper effort or care.

–verb (used without object) Slang. 4. to shirk responsibility or perform halfheartedly; loaf.

–verb (used with object) 5. to swindle; cheat.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[Origin: 1850–55, Americanism; gold + brick]

The scariest and stupidest thing i have ever done, is to get drunk at a house that i wasnt staying at. I made it home okay, but the entire hwy. seemed to be only one lane that night!

Something id never do again.

That, and one time we took the wheels and everything off of a skateboard, waxed it down and tied it to an ATV. We drove it around dragging people forever, and then we got caught by "The Man" Closest ive ever become to being arrested.

My best story though, which should be spoken in person is the time we decided to play with fireworks at an old abandoned crackhouse with tall grass. The first firework that gets lit by my not so smart friend is a fountain one, and i swear he throws it in to the tallest peice of grass he could find, we almost burnt the house down, but, nobody got hurt. The only good thing that came out of it was the fire department realized that this building was a crackhouse finally and they bulldozed it.

Yeah, ive had my good days and bad days.