The Songfactor's Choice Top Ten #68

No, I'm still here. ;)

Thanks for bearing with me, and for your thoughts, b-f.

I wasn't discounting well known Album Tracks, but there just seems little point to me in nominating obscure tracks and even most B sides of singles. If the only votes they get are from the person nominating them, they're just there to make up the numbers !

I'll admit to my ignorance in not knowing the Bob Dylan, John Lennon and Elton John songs nominated. Whilst I rubbish poor old Bob, I really do know and like most of his songs, but I've never heard of that one. (I see it's 1989 - that's probably why !).

Sure, this is OUR Top Ten, but we don't want to get too 'Alternate' do we ?

Well there's a bit too talk about ! Goodnight this time. :)

P.S. You've got my vote for the Monkees' song Sammy !!!

Even a Mike Nesmith vocal - the real Musician of the Group.

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1968 was a great year for music and for me personally. As for the music it was a very difficult task selecting just two songs. Take a look at the hits of 1968>>

TOP SONGS OF 1968

As for me, in March of 1968 I received my honorary discharge from the army, returning home after 2 fantastic years in Europe. I found a good job while I continued my education at St. Joseph's, Temple and CMP.

Then in September of '68 I met the lovely Joann (she was only 18) who is still my wife today. Now that's a greatest hit!

As for the two songs I'm nominating....

I Wish It Would Rain-The Temptations

Perhaps David Ruffin's best lead ever. The absolute best of Motown.

and...

Fire-The Crazy World Of Arthur Brown

Crazy world, indeed. I wish I could've found a good color version of this. Brown was (and is, I'm told) a fantastic showman. Offbeat? Oh yeah. This song is a classic.

Betterman- Pearl Jam

:bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:

I really hope that everybody listens to that song, so that it fares better than when I nominated Pearl Jam the last time

(here is an audio of the album version - probably better to listen to if you don't know the song)

okay, now that my #1 is set, let's see what else we've got...

I was just listening to that today :thumbsup:

I can't believe "Paranoid" hasn't been in a Ten before...

the Coldplay song is actually called "Don't Panic", and was the very first of them that I really liked :bow:

Edited by Guest
makes more sense that way.... I think

^ no problem :)

and you hear that Darryl? ;) (look at Lemon Tree too btw) :)

Never There ~ Cake (1998) Video

Lemon Tree ~ Fool's Garden (1995) Video

I posted both of them in "Video for Prospective Nominations" and 100% of the comments were positive...

so, does that mean I can expect them on #1 and #2? :shades: ;)

Well Shannon, it's unfortunate you've reacted to my comments as you have, and I'll be sorry to see you leave. You can see that I was quoting from our First Ever Top Ten, not just making it up. We try to keep things as simple as possible, and it seems to have worked well for 67 Top Tens.

Martin introduced the "Videos For Prospective Nominations" Thread so we could 'try out' songs that may not be generally well known, and get some feedback before nominating them.

I think we're very flexible really. Top Tens are usually restricted to singles OR albums, but we wouldn't want to exclude Classics like 'Stairway To Heaven', etc.

Also we'd find that some songs are released as singles in some countries but not in others. I meant to say that to b-f last night, but I agree with him that the Top Ten should be primarily singles.

I posted both of them in "Video for Prospective Nominations" and 100% of the comments were positive...

so, does that mean I can expect them on #1 and #2? :shades: ;)

Martin, I was Never There when you posted Lemon Tree. ;)

But I will try to watch every video before I vote, including Phil's 'Coldplay' one. :)

Phil will already have my vote for 'Paranoid'. I'm surprised it hasn't been nominated before also. RonJon's 'Green Tambourine' was on my Lista at home, so I have it on top so far.

Catch you all later ! I have to nominate yet too. They'll be a couple of Pop Songs, but not Beatles or Stones.

I'll admit to my ignorance in not knowing the Bob Dylan, John Lennon and Elton John songs nominated. Whilst I rubbish poor old Bob, I really do know and like most of his songs, but I've never heard of that one. (I see it's 1989 - that's probably why !).

Dylan's Series of Dreams is a marvellous song! It was released as a single in 1991 with Seven Curses. Don't know if it charted.

These nominations are for my dear daughter Karen and my son-in-law Tony. Karen likes mainly 80s Pop Songs, but I told her 'they're usually a graveyard here', so she went for her favorite Beach Boys' song...

Don't Worry Baby - The Beach Boys (1964)

and of course Tony went for a Bob Dylan one - one that I like, Rainy Day Women #12 and #35...BUT I think it's too commercial for this week, so I'll keep it for next Ten. Sorry Lars.

Here's another of Tony's favorites. Unfortunately the clip doesn't have Duane Allman, who died not long before the song was released.

One Way Out - The Allman Brothers Band (1972)

Edited by Guest
CHANGE OF NOMINATION.