The Songfactor's Choice Top Ten #67

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Finally, I have more than a second to spend here! :crazy:

I like this ten. It's got a nice spread years-wise. I'm always pleased when the Stones are number one. As far as I'm concerned they ARE number one! :)

You know, as far as Soul Man, and the Sam and Dave vs Blues Brothers thing goes? The Sam and Dave version belongs here. I don't think anything by the Blues Brothers belongs here. They aren't real. They've never released an original song. I'd vote for the Archies before the Blues Brothers! :)

That being said, I saw The Rolling Stones at Soldier Field in Chicago in 2005. Guess who opened for them, along with Los Lonely Boys? The Blues Brothers. And they were good. A nice ACT. not an original band. :P

about the Stones... that reminds me of a news story I read last week

the Stones continued their "Bigger Bang" tour in Frankfurt with 20.000 fans (not quite sold out)

and on the same evening Herbert Grönemeyer sold out the Olympic Stadium in Berlin with 65.000 people...

the point? I don't think I have one... was just reminded of it...

Ah, but Martin, silly as the Monkees may have seemed, they were at least real. Regardless of whether or not they sang/played themselves (ooh, am I getting into Milli Vanilli territory?? :) ), the songs were at least original material. I also think they deserve recognition for being the originators of the music video. Don't get me wrong I love the Blues Brothers, but I still say they were/are an act, not a band.

:laughing:

I think that possibly there are quite a few people that haven't seen the results of this Top Ten. We'll leave it open for a bit, in case anyone wants to post some nice controversial remarks.... :grin:

Meanwhile though, let's please have your new nominations for Top Ten #68!! :thumbsup:

Herbert Gronemeyer is bigger than the Stones in Germany. NOW I understand why you like the Blues Brothers more than Rock N Roll Hall of Famers Sam and Dave!!!

that's a strange thing to say considering you (probably) never heard (of) him before...

who knows... maybe YOU would like him more than the Stones too, if you made an effort to listen and try to understand some of his songs too...

:)

yes, well... we wouldn't go into that, now would we... :mad: ;)

and he does have a nice, distinctive sound :)

his best works in the last years have been from his 2002 album "Mensch" (Human), in which he deals with the loss of his brother and his wife (within one week) in 1998

eg. Der Mensch

background and German lyrics English Translation

or Der Weg

lyrics and translation

of course he also made plenty of happy, non-depressing songs too (like the above mentioned World Cup Theme "Zeit das sich was dreht / Celebrate the Day")

:thumbsup:

Martin I think I remember you mentioning Mr Gronemeyer (my 8th grade math teacher's name), and that awful situation leading to the writing of the song. That's truly sad, and reminds me of Jackson Browne, and the "Pretender" written after the suicide of his wife.

Sad happenings lead to lovely songs... :crazy:

sf_songfactorschoicetop10.jpg

The Songfactors' Choice Top Ten #67 for the week ending 17th June 2007

1. Shine A Light - The Rolling Stones (1972)

2. Soul Man - Sam & Dave (1967)

3. Dedicated Follower of Fashion - The Kinks (1965)

4. Lightning Crashes - Live (1994)

5. Break Up Song, The (They Don't Write 'Em) - The Greg Kihn Band (1981)

6. Stupid Girl - Garbage (1996)

7. Just Dropped In (To See What Condition My Condition Was In) - Kenny Rogers and the First Edition (1968)

8. Keep Your Hands To Yourself - The Georgia Satellites (1986)

9. Couldn't Get It Right - Climax Blues Band (1976)

10.Walk Like An Egyptian - The Bangles (1986)

:headphones: