Rockabilly

bazooka

Rockabilly music and the cool cats & chicks who dished it out seem underappreciated and almost forgotten nowadays.

Janis_Martin.jpgJanis Martin

The Collins Kids

Sonny Burgess

Wanda Jackson

Do you have favorite rockabilly artists or songs? old or new(??)

One real classic is Be Bop A Lula by Gene Vincent & The Blue Caps.

I like the Perkins Wiggle (with the Dixie Bop) by Carl Perkins (who else?)

[Added by Sara] Please read the new image rules. :)

I enjoyed watching Gene Vincent and the Blue Caps perform Be Bop A Lula in the movie The Girl Can't Help It.

It's hard to pick a favorite rockabilly tune, because there are so many good ones, but I'll list a few from my collection. Sputnik by Jerry Engler and Friction Heat by Bonnie Lou, which are both from 1958, are about space travel, as is Rocket To the Moon by Moon Mullican (1953). I've never heard a Moon Mullican song that I didn't like.

Turning to politics, Estes is the Best by Larry Dean & His Virginia Playboys, perhaps the first rock and roll tune with a political message, was a campaign song for Senator Estes Kefauver (D-Tenn.), who ran for president in 1952.

Cochran_Grave.jpg

Eddie Cochran died at the age of 21.

Cochran (best known for Summertime Blues) also appears in that fantastic movie Girl Can't Help It (performing Twenty Flight Rock).

In 1960 Cochran and Gene Vincent toured Britain to wide acclaim. A car crash in London that severely injured Gene Vincent and Sharon Sheely, killed Eddie Cochran.

Read this (typo-riddled but) succinct biography.