Carl; cancel that Philippines gig

Man shot dead for bad singing in Philippine karaoke bar

A jobless man was shot dead by a security guard for singing out of tune in a Philippine karaoke bar, police said Thursday.

Romy Baligula, 29, was halfway through his song on Tuesday night in a bar in San Mateo town, east of Manila, when 43-year-old security guard Robilito Ortega yelled that he was out of tune.

As Baligula ignored his comments and continued singing, Ortega pulled out his revolver and shot him in the chest.

Senior Superintendent Felipe Rojas said Baligula died instantly.

The security guard was detained by an off-duty policeman shortly after the shooting.

Deaths and violence are not uncommon in Philippine karaoke bars.

The popular Frank Sinatra song "My Way" has been taken off many karaoke bars in Manila after it was found to be the cause of fights and even deaths when patrons sang out of tune.

Probably about as close as you can get to a justified homicide , though . Bohemian Rhapsody and Stairway ought to be added to that list that the musically challenged should not be allowed to try ... they make waterboarding seem like a Disney ride by comparison .

:laughing: :laughing: Edna , your post reminded me of a classic old Canadian tune from Stompin' Tom Connors :

Sudbury Saturday Nite

( Chorus ) 

Well the girls are out to bingo , And the boys are gettin stinko ,

We'll think no more of Inco on a Sud. Sat. Nite-

The glasses they will tinkle while our eyes begin to twinkle

And we think no more of Inco on a Sud. Sat. Nite.

With Irish Jim O'Connell there & Scotty Jack McDonald

There's hunky Frederic Herzal gettin tight but dats alright

There's happy German Trixie there with Frenchie gettin tipsy-

And even Joe the gypsy knows its Saturday tonite-

Ya well Marianne and Mabel come to join us at the table,

And tell us how the bingo went tonite-We'll lookout right-

That if they won the money we'll be laughin up the honey boys

Cause everthing is funny for its Saturday tonite...

( Chorus )

We'll drink the loot we borrowed and recuperate tomorrow-

Cause everything is wonderful tonite-we had a good fight-

We ate the deli pickle and we forgot about the nickel

And everybody's tickled for its Saturday tonite...

( Chorus )

The songs that we'll be singin They might be wrong but they'll be ringin

And now the lights of town are shinin bright-and we're all

right-We'll get to work on Monday-but tomorrow's only Sun.

And we're out to have a fun day for its Saturday tonite-

* Sudbury is a dirty , industrial , fairly isolated mining city in N. Ontario . INCO is the mining conglomerate that owns much of the town - famous for nickle and copper . Used to attract alot of working class immigrants - maybe still does . Anyway , bingo , hard drinking , dances , curling and hockey are about all there is to do there , hence the song . :) Rayzor would love it there - except for having to work ! ;)

I don't care for the town because of the work that's true, but there's also the pollution. That's why I love the prairies. No one lives here so there's nothing to cause pollution! :laughing:

I despise Ontario, Kevin. You know that! :smile:

Spoken like a loyal and true Westerner ! :thumbsup: Yup , if we Canadians ever had a civil war it'd be East / West ( with Quebec likely sitting it out and complaining that they aren't profiting enough from the war , and Ottawa giving in to them }:( ) . We'd likely get whipped , but the guerilla fighting and vastness of the prairies would send most of those Eastern boys home a-cryin' to Toronto ( AKA : New York North as they prefer to call it ) eventually ... :shades: :drummer:

Had a good time insulting a guy in the pub here from Toronto last week , Rayzor - you'd have been proud . A real ' weenie ' , too .

:bow: Kevin! :bow:

Is it surprising he was a weenie? Aren't they all? :crazy:

I don't know if we'd get whipped, the people around here are pretty tough farm-boys and oil-riggers. The newfies would likely be confused and the people in Toronto would be afraid of breaking their nails! :laughing:

Well , to corrupt a Doors song : " we got the guns , but they've got the numbers " . :P I'm sure their opening moves would be to parachute in and secure Calgary and Vancouver , and maybe that diamond area in N. Sask / NWT . Besides that , our prairie code insists that ' if someone suddenly drops in , we have to feed them and look after them ' - good manners , afterall ! After that - we' could all go to hell as far they're concerned . :laughing: