Your First Movie

skybluesky

Peaches post about her peachlette got me wondering-what were Songfacters first movie going experiences?

rg-I saw Grease at the drive-in when I was three. All I remember is waking up when Danny and Sandy were flying away in the car, but that was enough to give me a life long love of Olivia Newton-John

I don´t remember, my dad was a movie journalist so we had free tickets to watch any movie in any theatre, we were constantly going to the movies since we were very small. I guess it was some Disney or probably Tom & Jerry... :cool:

I'm guessing a bit too , but I recall being taken to 'Butch Cassidy and The Sundance Kid ' - Loved it ! I still want to surprise and pull a gun on the wife in a state of changing and say ' keep going ' ... though she'd likely kick my ass , have a fit , and then so much for fantasy ! ;):P

I'm guessing a bit too , but I recall being taken to 'Butch Cassidy and The Sundance Kid ' - Loved it ! I still want to surprise and pull a gun on the wife in a state of changing and say ' keep going ' ... though she'd likely kick my ass , have a fit , and then so much for fantasy ! ;):P

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: I bet she will, Kevin... you know, we women have no sense of humor... :cool:

i'm sure i'd been to the pictures before then but the first time i distinctly remember was when i was ten. it was a friend's birthday party and there was a charity showing of 'robin hood: men in tights' - if you brought an item of food to be donated to the poor then you got in fee. so the girl's mother raided her pantry and we all got in for free - i brought a two-litre bottle of red lemonade!

I don't remember my first movie, either... but a few early movies that I do remember are "Willard" and "The Poseidon Adventure" at the drive-in, and "Young Frankenstein" and "Jaws" at the little 100-seat theatre in our then-podunk town.

Mine was Mary Poppins and then I remember Song of the South. But the movie memory that sticks in my mind the most as a kid, when my Mom took me with her and we watched Doctor Zhivago. Oh my God, what a wonderful movie and I wanted to fall in love just like that when I got older. Julie Christie, what a gorgeous woman. It is an amazing movie and I have only seen it on the big screen, never wanted to see it on a smaller one, would not measure up. Beautiful film.

My Mom loved movies, especially those made by Alfred Hitchcock. She used to take me along with her to the Venice Theater and though it probably wasn't the first movie I'd seen I can vividly remember "The Thing(From Another Planet)" (James Arness as the alien). I loved that movie and do still to this day. Mom hated SciFi/Horror pics but she sat through this one for me. It was much better than the John Carpenter remake in the 80's. I recommend that you see this movie.

I also remember the Hitchcock movie, "Strangers On A Train", 1951 ( The inspiration for the DeVito/Crystal flick, "Let's Throw Mama From The Train").

Other movies that stand out in my memory from my early childhood are "Houdini" with Tony Curtis, "Dial M For Murder" (Ray Milland/Grace Kelly), "Father Of The Bride" (Spencer Tracy), etc.

Other great 50's Sci Fi flicks were "The Day The Earth Stood Still", "Invasion Of The Body Snatchers" , Invaders From Mars", "War Of The Worlds", "Them", "It Came From Outer Space" and "The Forbidden Planet". These are the movies I truly loved.

I was 6 when I saw 101 Dalmatians and I cried a lot when it was obvious the doggies would be killed. :puppyeyes: Actually, all the kids in the theatre cried a lot, except my brother, who was a man, he was 4. All the moms got to convince us that the doggies wuldn´t die so we kept on watching the movie.

I have vague recollections of seeing a Disney movie or two in the theaters when I was but a wee peachy lass, but the first grown up movie I ever saw was the original Star Wars. I was captivated from the first rolling words on the big screen. I'm still obsessed with the original trilogy to this day. The newer ones offend me deep within my purist soul because I invested so much of myself in the originals. If that doesn't close the book on the question of my nerdiness, I don't know what will.

I don't remember what my first movie was, but I do remember crying when Bambi's mother got shot and I remember being at the drive in and watching a "Benji" movie.

I am thinking of taking my daughter to her first movie this August...The Care Bears Movie. It'll be so sickeningly sweet, I'll get cavities, but I'm sure she'll love it.

The first two movies I remember seeing are Dr. No and North To Alaska with John Wayne. I loved going to movies as a kid. The old theatres were architecturally beautiful. I remember standing in line for over an hour to see Dr. Zhivago and Lawrence of Arabia. Even though I HATE standing in line, those movies were well worth the wait.

I don't remember what my first movie was, but I do remember crying when Bambi's mother got shot and I remember being at the drive in and watching a "Benji" movie.

I am thinking of taking my daughter to her first movie this August...The Care Bears Movie. It'll be so sickeningly sweet, I'll get cavities, but I'm sure she'll love it.

Jenny, if you want to see The Care Bears movie just go, but stop blaming your daughter for it....