Hatebreed song "Perseverance"

d8c31h87

This is just my interpretation of the song.

Perseverance, by Hatebreed. Album: Perseverance, 2002

"I know your fear of loss/struggles with faith/takes everything you have to face the day"

-I've been through the situations and circumstances you've been in, losing loved ones or something close to you, and the struggle with faith in yourself, religion or other people, and it gets harder and harder to face every passing day.

"The virtues you possess bring eternal pain/contempt for a life you can't obtain"

-The things that make you up have now betrayed you and brought negativity into your life, and you now hold contempt for the life you wanted but now feel you can't achieve.

"Your heroes have failed you/try to prevail. Face your torment/dismantle your doubt"

-You feel the people you look up to have failed in their 'duty' to pull you out of rough times, but you still push on with the strength in yourself. You face your own personal hell without fear and you tear apart any doubt you have in you.

"Refuse this legacy of shame and deceit/the only real truth in your life that you know is hostility"

-Refuse everything shameful and deceitful you have been taught, because the only thing they lead to is hostility.

"Your world is coming apart/remain steadfast"

-The world around you is collapsing, so stay strong and keep pushing.

"Perseverance/against all opposition, crushing all limitations"

-Persevering against any thing in your way requires crushing the things that inhibit you.

"Pure strength through solitude/discipline and determination"

-Pure strength that is derived from your own self, nobody else. Discipline and determination is what is required for that strength to come out of you.

"You can't accept what you've been told/anchored in sin you must reverse your descent"

-Defy what you've been taught by this corrupted and corroded system, you're held down in sin and you must break the cycle.

"Declare the weight of the word has yet to claim you/admit that your faults will not restrain you"

-Admit that the world will bear down on you and get the best of you, and that you will not let your faults get in the way of overcoming such obstacles.

"Glimpses of fate bring light to your despair/realize hope isn't short of your grasp"

-A look at your fate, which makes you realize you're destined for so much more, sheds light on the despair that you feel, and hopefully that will teach you that hope is never out of your reach.

"Resurrect every dream you buried alive/never succumb to the war you fight in your heart"

-Take back every dream you've thrown away and rebuild them, and don't give up even though your heart and your mind are constantly battling, that will subside when you regain control of your mind.

Then the verse starting with "Perseverance" repeats itself.

Despite the thrashing, brutal in-your-face nature of their music, Hatebreed provides several messages and meanings within their songs.

Thank you. A lot of bands I listen to put a lot of symbolism into their music so I stop and absorb as much as I can, because I can identify with most of them. When I hear bands like Hatebreed I latch onto whatever is being said because they talk about things that every single person has gone through. I think that is what truly makes a great band, no matter what the genre. Lyrics are like tattoos--they express your individuality, and they must mean something to be perceivable by other people.