Forgiven - Alanis Morissette (meaning)

Hello,

Ok, this has been driving me crazy all week. What does the song FORGIVEN by Alanis Morssette mean? I have listened to it over and over, but I can't figure it out. It is probably something simple that I am thinking about way to much. I would appreciate the help. Thanks :help:

Edited by Guest
clarification

Hello and welcome to Songfacts wildchild!

Well I read the lyrics and it sounded to me she's talking about how she was raised to be a good girl and she's feeling somewhat guilty, but then realizes she should be forgiven....and doesn't feel so bad now...did I make any sense?

Edited by Guest

Yeah,

When I heard it I thought she was saying either that she was raised Catholic and and left what she was taught behind, but eventually came back to it and wanted to know if she would be forgiven. Then I thought it had to do with premarital sex. Catholics do not believe in premarital sex and I thought she was saying that she had sex and had to confess her "darkest deeds" to and "envious man" I thought that maybe she regretted what she had done. I am not sure. I do understand what you are thinkgin though. Thank you so much!!!

"Forgiven"

You know how us Catholic girls can be

We make up for so much time a little too late

I never forgot it, confusing as it was

No fun with no guilt feelings

The sinners, the saviors, the loverless priests

I'll see you next Sunday

We all had our reasons to be there

We all had a thing or two to learn

We all needed something to cling to

So we did

I sang Alleluia in the choir

I confessed my darkest deeds to an envious man

My brothers they never went blind for what they did

But I may as well have

In the name of the Father, the Skeptic and the Son

I had one more stupid question

So we did

What I learned I rejected but I believe again

I will suffer the consequence of this inquisition

If I jump in this fountain, will I be forgiven

So we did

We all had delusions in our head

We all had our minds made up for us

We had to believe in something

So we did

in my view this is a very cynical look at the catholic church, the lessons it teaches people and the reasons people turn to it. all these people are looking for something 'to cling to' so they look to the church for guidance. they are variously sinful, hypocritical, deluded, self-righteous. yet they view it as a demonstration of their 'goodness' that they unfailingly attend church every sunday. traditional catholic guilt means that the schoolgirls canno njoy life without feeling guilty. singing alleluia in the choir while committing dark deeds represents hypocrisy. the bit about confessing her darkest deeds to an envious man refers to confession - she should be seeking absolution from a priest bu instead he is jealous, perhaps wishing he could do those things himself. nobody is pure of mind or spirit, least of all the priests. the line about the brothers is obviously a reference to the old threat that you would go blind from masturbating. they never did go blind but in contrast, the author has been figuratively blinded by the teachings of the church. basically, it questions both the blind faith of people who take the teachings of the church on face value and the purity of intention of those who teach it.

• 9 years later...

I realize this is years into the post...but...yes, she's discussing at length her guilt of precocious/risky behavior, presumably as a teen. Then speaks of her doubt in the Catholic seal of confession, thinking he's probably actually turned on by her words. What disturbed me a bit was the part of her calling out her brothers, alluding to what seems to be her (the Catholic Bible is clear on what will happen to those masturbating being stricken with blindness). Yet she feels guilt for her involvement, and asks in desperation if baptism will redeem her. 

Edited by Docmark
Diction edit