"Run Run Run": A Phil Spector soundalike?

There is a cd I found out about on allmusicguide.com, which is named: "Phil Spector soundalikes", and it has the Supremes' "Run Run Run" listed as one of the tracks.

Does anyone think that this song does sound like a Phil Spector song in particular? I have always thought that it was like the Chiffons' "Sweet Talking Guy" with the lyrics and vocals, but I thought before that that "Nothing But Heartaches" by the Supremes was also like "Sweet Talking Guy."

There is a lyric in particular in "Nothing But Heartaches", of which when I first heard it, it automatically made me be confused with "Sweet Talking Guy":

"But the more and more I care,

The more of him other girls share"

So, I am very confused. I did read that the Chiffons' "Sweet Talking Guy" was Motown influenced, and it was obviously inspired by "Nothing But Heartaches" or "Run Run Run". But, which Supremes song is it? Can anyone please clarify? Thank you.

Brandon8528

Hi Brandon - I don't have an answer for your query (yet) but wanted to make note about allmusic.

Just so you know, allmusic is also user submitted. In other words, inaccuracy. At another forum (music related), some of the members don't bother with the site for not being reliable.

IMO, allmusic is a pretty good resource. I too have noticed wrong release dates, missing musicians on certain albums, etc. The most reliable resources are either from the mouth of the source or books, mags, etc. You know they had to get any or all copyrights.

Personally, I use allmusic. If I'm doubtful, I always have my own personal resources.

:)

Ant

I've got that CD ( in the UK, it was released as "Phil's Spectres : A Wall of Soundalikes") and, yes, I think Run Run Run sounds a lot like a typical Spector production.

Although it resembles Sweet Talkin' Guy lyrically, the production is very much from the Phil Spector school; everything sounds as if it was recorded under a single microphone and comes at you simultaneously.

BTW, if you like Spector's style then dont hesitate to buy this album, its full of really great stuff, from obscure acts to household names like the Beach Boys and the Righteous Brothers.