List 38

Elvish

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I should go into a LITTLE more detail...

Close To The Edge and And You And I are divided like this:

1. Close To The Edge

I. The Solid Time Of Change

II. Total Mass Retain

III. I Get Up I Get Down

IV. Seasons Of Man

2. And You And I

I. Cord Of Life

II. Eclipse

III. The Preacher The Teacher

IV. Apocalypse

Both songs are in a grand progressive style, building and resolving over several minutes.

Close To The Edge features some amazing vocal harmonies that few other bands could match.

"All Four One"

The Motels

s42501xr1.jpg

from wikipedia:

All Four One is an album by the New Wave band, The Motels released in 1982. The album is actually a re-recording of an earlier album entitled Apocalypso.

After the mild success of their second album Careful, The Motels went back into the studio in early 1981 to record album three with the then up and coming producer Val Garay. The band at this time consisted of Martha Davis on vocals and guitar, Tim McGovern on lead guitar, Marty Jourard on keyboards, Michael Goodroe on bass, and Brian Glasscock on drums.

Wanting to stretch the limits as to what they could do artistically and musically, the band recorded some of its most dark and heavy music to date. Despite having Garay as producer for the album, the songs were basically arranged and handled by McGovern. The results were mixed. While some arrangements on the tracks were outstanding rock numbers ("Mission of Mercy," "Schneekin'" and "So L.A."), some were a little too experimental and not as well produced ("Sweet Destiny" and the first version of "Only the Lonely"). Neither the band nor Garay ever submitted any of the recordings to Capitol Records while the recording process was going on. When the band submitted the final tapes to Capitol, the label rejected it stating that it was "not commercial," essentially meaning it was a dead record.

The band had begun getting local gigs in the L.A. area to try out their new material, but by the end of 1981, McGovern officially left the band for personal and private reasons, leaving The Motels without a lead guitarist.

Unwilling to give up, the remaining members forged on back into the studio with Val Garay at the controls. This time Garay had more liberty to mold the band's sound to a more commercial venue. Studio musicians were added to fill the lead guitar void, as well as to flesh out the sound of the recordings. By the end of April 1982, the band had recorded their last track for the new version of Apocalypso and had added a new lead guitarist, Guy Perry, although his guitar work was not featured on the album.

The album was retitled All Four One because the band had recorded four albums but one would not be released, and also because the four remaining members had stayed together to complete the album ("all for one and one for all!"). it was released in April of 1982 on Capitol Records.

The result was the biggest selling album for The Motels. The album spurred both American and International hits. The album was certified gold in several countries including the United States and Canada by the end of 1982. The hits from the album included "Mission of Mercy," "Only the Lonely," "Take the L," "Forever Mine," "So L.A.," and "Art Fails."

Track Listing

Mission Of Mercy

Take The L

Only The Lonely

Art Fails

Change My Mind

So L.A.

Tragic Surf

Apocalypso

He Hit Me (And It Felt Like A Kiss)

Forever Mine

They´re good... : smile : : smile :

I will try to download some from work... but it´s not fun having to copy&paste constantly to add a nice smiley... : tongue :

There´s some charm & comfort gone with our beloved old smileys... we felt so gemütlich with them on the boards...