7. Sitting An' Thinking

8. Leavin' Again

9. Romanoff

Kim Simmonds - Guitar, Piano

Lonesome Dave - Vocals, Guitar

Roger Earl - Drums

Tone Stevens - Bass

1970 - Decca Records

Liner Notes: A very nice piece of British blues and boogie to get you through the weekend. Lonesome Dave strums and tells the tales and the rest of the boys provide the atmosphere. On average this is a slow comfortable album. Powerful at times and quiet at others it's a ride down that gravel road that parallels the highway. Typical artwork for a Savoy Brown cover. A touch of horror, a skull or two and a few unnamed creatures not of this world. Good stuff for the ride home from the pub on a Saturday night.

How about a little Bluegrass. This is the review for Saturday Night & Sunday Morning by the legendary Dr. Ralph Stanley.

rsxq4.jpg

Review by Jana Pendragon from Allmusic

This 31-cut, two-disc project is a masterpiece reflecting both the secular and spiritual sides of Ralph Stanley's artistry. It is also a concept he mulled over in his mind for some time before executing it. The idea was to include performers from both the country and bluegrass worlds doing songs that somehow fit into the Stanley Brothers' tradition. With the inclusion of some Stanley originals as well as tunes written by Bill Monroe, Dwight Yoakam, Tom T. Hall, and Roy McMillan, this is not only a diverse compilation of material, but also one that never fails to interest the listener. Certainly the start-off number, McMillan's "Mountain Folks," which is done up just right by Ralph Stanley & the Clinch Mountain Boys, sets the tone. Followed by a duet between Stanley and Yoakam on the infectious "Down Where the River Bends," it quickly moves through to Stanley's final secular duet with fellow bluegrasser Bill Monroe. Their teamwork on "Letter From My Darling" is monumental. The spiritual numbers include Stanley and Tom T. Hall on the well-known gospel number "Rank Stranger" and Carter Stanley's sadly descriptive "The Fields Have All Turned Brown." But the most beguiling track is the fervent version of Yoakam's tribute song to his coal mining grandfather, Luther Tibbs. "Miner's Prayer" is given a gospel overhaul, making what was already a brilliant creation into an even more ageless tune that will be played, loved, and remembered for many generations to come. Ralph Stanley's high lonesome sound fits in perfectly here and is endlessly effective. Outstanding performances in both categories come from Patty Loveless, Allison Krauss, George Jones, Jimmy Martin, and Emmylou Harris, to name just a few. A concept that works well for Ralph Stanley and his many friends, this is certainly a project that belongs in every bluegrass or gospel collection.

To me this is what Bluegrass is all about. The journey through life and the spiritual side ( whatever that may be) of each of us.

Tracks

1 Mountain Folks McMillian 1:56

Composed by: McMillian

Performed by: Stanley, Ralph & The Clinch Mountain...

2 Down Where the River Bends Stanley 2:56

Composed by: Stanley

Performed by: Stanley, Dwight Yoakam

3 Old Man's Tears Burke 1:53

Composed by: Burke

Performed by: Stanley, Judy Marshall, Emmylou Harris

4 All I Ever Loved Was You Skaggs 3:14

Composed by: Skaggs

Performed by: Stanley, Ricky Skaggs

5 Midnight Storm Stanley, Stanley 3:13

Composed by: Stanley, Stanley

Performed by: Stanley, Vince Gill

6 All the Good Times Are Past and Gone Stanley 2:38

Performed by: Stanley, Jimmy Martin

7 I Never Will Marry Stanley 2:41

Performed by: Stanley, Emmylou Harris, Judy Marshall

8 Banks of the Ohio Waller 3:02

Composed by: Waller

Performed by: Stanley, Charlie Waller

9 I Love No One But You Stanley 2:25

Performed by: Charlie Sizemore, Stanley

10 Sea of Regret Sloas 3:20

Composed by: Sloas

Performed by: Ricky Skaggs, Stanley

11 The Water Lily Hall, Lawson 2:27

Composed by: Hall, Lawson

Performed by: Stanley, Hall, Tom T., Judy Marshall

12 I'll Never Grow Tired of You Stanley 2:22

Performed by: Patty Loveless, Stanley

13 All the Love I Had Is Gone Centers, Jones 2:52

Composed by: Centers, Jones

Performed by: Stanley, Larry Sparks

14 Wonderful World Outside Stanley, Stanley 2:59

Composed by: Stanley, Stanley

Performed by: Stanley, George Jones

15 Letter from My Darling Monroe 3:22

Composed by: Monroe

Performed by: Bill Monroe, Stanley

16 I'll Pass Over Thee Burke 2:16

Composed by: Burke

Performed by: Stanley, Ralph & The CLinch Mountain...

17 Rank Stranger Brumley 2:54

Composed by: Brumley

Performed by: Stanley, Hall, Tom T.

18 Let Me Walk Lord by Your Side Stanley 3:26

Performed by: Stanley, Vince Gill

19 I'll Meet You in Church Sunday Morning Traditional 3:22

Composed by: Traditional

Performed by: Stanley, Bill Monroe

20 Introduction Miner's Prayer 0:29

Composed by:

Performed by: Dwight Yoakam, Cline, Curley Ray

21 Miner's Prayer Yoakam 3:11

Composed by: Yoakam

Performed by: Stanley, Dwight Yoakam

22 The Fields Have Turned Brown Stanley 2:56

Performed by: Stanley, Charlie Waller, Judy Marshall

23 Great High Mountain Whitley 2:04

Composed by: Whitley

Performed by: Stanley, Emmylou Harris, Judy Marshall

24 Heaven's Bright Shore Stanley 3:44

Performed by: Stanley, Judy Marshall, Alison Krauss

25 Going up Home to Live in Green Pastures Stanley 2:36

Performed by: Larry Sparks, Stanley

26 The First Step to Heaven Gordy, Rushing 3:36

Composed by: Gordy, Rushing

Performed by: Stanley, Ricky Skaggs

27 Sailing Home Stanley 2:06

Performed by: Stanley, Patty Loveless, Alison Krauss

28 Angel Band Stanley 2:34

Performed by: Stanley, George Jones, Vince Gill

29 Vision of Mother Stanley 2:48

Performed by: Stanley, Judy Marshall, Alison Krauss

30 The Old Cross Roads Monroe 3:12

Composed by: Monroe

Performed by: Stanley, Jimmy Martin

31 Little Bessie Stanley 4:02

Performed by: Stanley, Charlie Sizemore

Automatic for the People - REM

automaticftp.jpg

Track Listing:

1. Drive *

2. Try Not to Breathe

3. The Sidewinder Sleeps Tonight *

4. Everybody Hurts *

5. New Orleans Instrumental No. 1

6. Sweetness Follows

7. Monty Got a Raw Deal

8. Ignoreland

9. Star Me Kitten

10. Man On The Moon *

11. Nightswimming

12. Find The River

Produced by Scott Litt and REM. The asterisks represent the singles released from this album, and my favorite track, which is "The Sidewinder Sleeps Tonight".

superstarcarwash.jpg

Superstar Carwash

The Goo Goo Dolls

taken from allmusic.com

The hard rock rawness of Buffalo's Goo Goo Dolls makes Superstar Car Wash an album that is high on amicable guitar riffs and attractive hooks, with an edge that never goes away. All the choruses are sandwiched perfectly between the crunching throttle of electric guitar and pleasing rock rhythms, changing pace and style just a notch in each of the 14 songs. Heavy but far from pretentious, songs like "Fallin' Down," "Cuz You're Gone," and "We Are the Normal," co-written by Paul Westerberg, combine pleasing elements of rough harmonies with infectious runs of six-string grit. John Rzeznik's vocals resonate with a reckless, punk-soaked ardor that lifts their music above and beyond the norm of power pop. The attitude that surrounds the album makes the Goo Goo Dolls out to be a rough and tumble outfit, outlining all the tunes with a rebellious tone. Quite different from their platinum A Boy Named Goo album, which sounded smoother and refined, Superstar Carwash has the band sounding loose and freewheeling, making the best of any musical misdirection. Before radio adopted their polished glimmer, they let loose and channeled their playful immaturity throughout the attractive impurity of this album.

1] Fallin' Down

2] Lucky Star

3] Cuz You're Gone

4] Don't Worry

5] Girl Right Next to Me

6] Domino

7] We Are the Normal

8] String of Lies

9] Another Second Time Around

10] Stop the World

11] Already There

12] On the Lie

13] Close Your Eyes

14] So Far Away

"In the Court of the Crimson King"

KingCrimson

2003917598535070412_rs.jpg

from wikipedia:

Studio album by King Crimson

Released October 10, 1969

Recorded August-September 1969,

Genre Progressive rock

Producer(s) Robert Fripp, Peter Sinfield

In the Court of the Crimson King is the 1969 debut album by the British progressive rock group King Crimson. The album reached No.3 on the British charts. The album was remastered and re-released in the late 1990s, and given a subsequent remastering after the original masters were found in the Virgin vaults, which in turn was released in 2004. The album is certified gold in the United States.

The album is considered by many the launching point of progressive rock where blues oriented rock is completely abandoned in favour of more jazz and European symphonic elements incorporated. The Who's Pete Townshend was quoted as calling the album "an uncanny masterpiece".

Album cover

Barry Godber (1946–1970), an artist and computer programmer, painted the album cover, but died in February 1970 of a heart attack, shortly after the album's release. It would be his only painting, and is now owned by Robert Fripp.

Fripp had this to say about Godber:

“ Barry Godber was not a painter but a computer programmer. That painting was the only one he ever did. He was a friend of Peter Sinfield, and died in 1970 of a heart attack at age 24. Peter brought this painting in and the band loved it. I recently recovered the original from EG's offices because they kept it exposed to bright light, at the risk of ruining it, so I ended up removing it. The face on the outside is the Schizoid Man, and on the inside it's the Crimson King. If you cover the smiling face, the eyes reveal an incredible sadness. What can one add? It reflects the music. â€

Track listing

1. "21st Century Schizoid Man" (Fripp, McDonald, Lake, Giles, Sinfield) – 7:21

* "Mirrors"

2. "I Talk to the Wind" (McDonald, Sinfield) – 6:05

3. "Epitaph" (Fripp, McDonald, Lake, Giles, Sinfield) – 8:47

* "March for No Reason"

* "Tomorrow and Tomorrow"

4. "Moonchild" (Fripp, McDonald, Lake, Giles, Sinfield) – 12:13

* "The Dream"

* "The Illusion"

5. "The Court of the Crimson King" (McDonald, Sinfield) – 9:25

* "The Return of the Fire Witch"

* "The Dance of the Puppets"

Credits

Robert Fripp – guitar

Ian McDonald – reeds, woodwind, vibes, keyboards, mellotron, vocals

Greg Lake – bass guitar, lead vocals

Michael Giles – drums, percussion, vocals

Peter Sinfield – words, illumination

Barry Godber – cover illustrations

38specialflashbackfrontcu3.jpg

Flashback: The Best of .38 Special is a best-of compilation of southern rock band .38 Special, released in 1987. It contains several of the band's greatest hits, such as Hold on Loosely and Fantasy Girl, and also some previously unreleased songs such as Back to Paradise and Teacher, Teacher.

(Wiki)

"Back to Paradise"

"Hold on Loosely"

"Wild-Eyed Southern Boys"

"If I'd Been the One"

"Caught up in you"

"Fantasy Girl"

"Rough-Housin'"

"Same Old Feeling"

"Back Where You Belong"

"Stone Cold Believer"

"Teacher, Teacher"

"Like No Other Night"

"Twentieth Century Fox"

"Rockin' Into the Night"

b000001fsp01lzzzzzzzwd0.jpg

"Broken English"

Marianne Faithfull

Excellent. Her first album after many years missing, released in 1979.

List of songs:

1- Broken English

2- Witches' Song

3- Brain Drain (co-written by Tim Hardin)

4- Guilt

5- The Ballad of Lucy Jordan (written by Shel Silverstein)

6- What's the Hurry

7- Working Class Hero

8- Why D'Ya Do It?

Wikipedia says:

It was a surprise to listeners that Broken English was a radical departure, featuring a contemporary fusion of rock, punk, new wave and dance, with liberal use of synthesizers. Even more astonishing for listeners was Faithfull’s "new" voice. After a number of years of drug abuse, Faithfull's voice was in a lower register, far raspier, and had a more world-weary quality than in the past, well suited to the often raw emotions expressed in the newer songs.

The album’s title track took inspiration from terrorist figures of the time, particularly Ulrike Meinhof of the Baader-Meinhof group. "Guilt" was informed by the Catholic upbringing of the singer and her composer Barry Reynolds. "The Ballad of Lucy Jordan", originally performed by Dr Hook, was a melancholy tale of middle class disillusionment; Faithfull's version became something of anthem and was used to appropriate effect on the soundtracks to the films Montenegro (1981) and Thelma and Louise (1991). "What’s the Hurry?" was described by Faithfull as reflecting the everyday desperation of the habitual drug user. Her cover of John Lennon’s "Working Class Hero", recorded as a tribute to her own heroes such as Mick Jagger and Keith Richards, David Bowie and Iggy Pop, and Lennon himself, was widely praised.

In the last track, "Why D’Ya Do It?", a male relates the caustic, graphic, and possessive response to his betrayal, as related by his lover. It was set to a grinding tune inspired by Jimi Hendrix’s recording of Bob Dylan’s "All Along the Watchtower". Poet and writer Heathcote Williams had originally conceived the lyrics as a piece for Tina Turner to record, but Faithfull succeeded in convincing him that Turner would never record such a number. Its plethora of four-letter words and explicit references to oral sex caused controversy and led to a ban in Australia, where local pressings of the LP were released with smooth vinyl in place of the track and a 'bonus' 45 single as compensation (the ban did not extend to import copies).

Broken English made #57 in the UK album charts and #82 in the US. "The Ballad of Lucy Jordan" was released as a single simultaneously with the LP in October 1979. The title track was issued as a single in January 1980.

• 2 weeks later...

Bumping for more suggestions :)

Uhmmm, been suggested before? I'm losing my memory.

eappw8.jpg

Ain't Wastin' Time No More (Gregg Allman) – 3:40

Les Brers In A Minor (Dickey Betts) – 9:03

Melissa (Gregg Allman/Sandy Alaimo) – 3:54

Mountain Jam (Duane Allman/Gregg Allman/Dickey Betts/Jai Johanny Johansen/Berry Oakley/Butch Trucks) – 33:38

One Way Out (Marshall Sehorn/Elmore James) – 4:58

Trouble No More (McKinley Morganfield) – 3:43

Stand Back (Gregg Allman/Berry Oakley) – 3:24

Blue Sky (Dickey Betts) – 5:09

Little Martha (Duane Allman) – 2:07

-and a back up...

heartfk5.jpg

1. If Looks Could Kill

2. What About Love

3. Never

4. These Dreams

5. The Wolf

6. All Eyes

7. Nobody Home

8. Nothin' At All

9. What He Don't Know

10. Shell Shock

mcguirewj3.jpg

"Eve of Destruction"

Barry McGuire

One of my all time favorite albums. A bunch of great songs.

1- Eve of Destruction (P.F.Sloan)

2- She Belongs to Me (B.Dylan)

3- You Never Had It So Good (Barri, P.F.Sloan)

4- Sloop John B. (Barri, Howe, McGuire, P.F.Sloan)

5- Baby Blue (B.Dylan)

6- The Sins of a Family (P.F.Sloan)

7- Try to Remember (Jones, Schmidt)

8- Mr. Man on the Street [Act One] (P.F.Sloan)

9- You Were on My Mind (Fricker)

10- Ain't No Way I'm Gonna Change My Mind (P.F.Sloan)

11 What Exactly's the Matter With Me (P.F Sloan)

12 Why Not Stop and Dig It While You Can (McGuire)

Allmusic says:

Eve of Destruction" was so present on the airwaves at its height in 1965 that as it ended play on one station, it would start up on another, a dominating hit single which charted higher than any protest song written by Bob Dylan, the man whose own "Masters of War" must have inspired P.F. Sloan's classic protest song. Dylan's "Like a Rolling Stone" came close, stalling under the upper reaches of the Top 40 two weeks before McGuire grabbed the brass ring. McGuire even cut "Master's of War," appearing on his 1994 One Way Records Anthology album and evidence of the typecasting which decimated what should have been a huge radio presence beyond this title track and first and only hit. Five years before Ricky Nelson would chart with Dylan's "She Belongs to Me," McGuire makes it the first of two Dylan covers, throwing the similarities right in the listener's face. A Steve Barri/P.F. Sloan title, "You Never Had It So Good," follows that, and the theme and model becomes a bit redundant. Sure, people had commercialized the songs of Bob Zimmerman, but not to the extent where the man behind Carole King's eventual solo success, Lou Adler, along with the Grass Roots' initial production team of Sloan and Barri, would take a former New Christy Minstrel and turn him into a radio-friendly copy of the world-famous protest singer. Engineer Bones Howe, P.F. Sloan, Barri, and McGuire redesign the traditional "Sloop John B," a version that is much different from the Beach Boys', and it's a wise move which backslides and is eradicated as they go after Dylan's "Baby Blue," truly branding the innovative soul that is Barry McGuire. At least his reading of Sylvia Fricker's "You Were on My Mind" is original enough, though McGuire can't hit the notes the We Five's Beverly Bivens easily reached. The pulsating cover of the Ian & Sylvia tune doesn't come close to the We Five's arrangement and majesty which charted simultaneous with "Eve of Destruction," but it works so much better than the "imitation Bob" which permeates this package. The Beach Boys took the traditional "Sloop John B" Top Three in 1966, but McGuire did it first, and he also pre-dated Gladys Knight with a version of the standard "Try to Remember" ten years before she brought the title to popular radio. It is these three notable other covers which succeeded for Barry McGuire and indicated his potential. The man has tons of talent, as witnessed on his Christian albums like Lighten Up, and the dark sounds of his classic moment in the sun and gravelly voice (which probably influenced Alex Chilton) deserved much more success.

Here's a few albums that I have aquired recently, and thought that they might be of some use here.

David Gilmour - On An Island.

KT Tunstall - Eye To The Telescope.

Smashing Pumpkins - Melon Collie And The Infinite Sadness.

Muse - Black Holes And Revelations.

Sorry if any of these have been done before.

I would like to nominate the new CD by Gretchen Peters, "Burnt Toast & Offerings," which she says is all about her divorce.

Gretchen was interviewed by SF a couple of months ago and her songs are now uploaded on the site. They include "Independence Day" by Martina McBride, "If Heaven" by Andy Griggs, and "The Secret Of Life" by Faith Hill.

Gretchen's new CD arrived in the mail yesterday, and I love it! She's got a voice sort of like Pam Tillis', clear as a bell and beautiful. The songs on this CD are very smokey and sultry, and make me think of the 40s-era style of music.

A couple of the standouts for me are definitely "This Town," which has a Celtic flare to it, "Ghost," which is (no pun intended) a haunting melody about living together and not knowing each other, "To Say Goodbye," about not being ready to end things, and "Sunday Morning (Up And Down My Street)," which is kind of a kicky tune and a hazy ray of sunshine into what was obviously a very trying time in Gretchen's life.

A complete list of tunes can be found on her Web site: Gretchen Peters , where she has returned the favor by included a link to Songfacts!

sorry I'm too lame to put up a photo of the CD cover! If you're a lover of words, you will love going to her site and reading her bio.

Here's a few albums that I have aquired recently, and thought that they might be of some use here.

David Gilmour - On An Island.

KT Tunstall - Eye To The Telescope.

Smashing Pumpkins - Melon Collie And The Infinite Sadness.

Muse - Black Holes And Revelations.

Sorry if any of these have been done before.

I don't think any of these have ever been on a list. You can check here to make sure. However, in order for your nominations to be considered, could you post a little about the albums? A short review, perhaps? :)

yes-ctte.jpg

Close To The Edge

Yes

1. Close To The Edge 18:44

2. And You And I 10:11

3. Siberian Khatru 8:53

I like this album's format: three very loooooong songs. It really lets you get into the music better.

-all I have to add to this is...

burnsexcellentstickerrs0.jpg

I don't think any of these have ever been on a list. You can check here to make sure. However, in order for your nominations to be considered, could you post a little about the albums? A short review, perhaps? :)

Sorry about that. I'll do a short review for all of them when I get the time. I'm having lunch soon, so I'll do it after that. :D

I'll do my 4-album review in 2 parts. :D :D

---------------------------------------------

David Gilmour - On An Island (2006)

DavidGilmourOnAnIslandCover.jpg

Track Listing

1. Castellorizon

2. On An Island

3. The Blue

4. Take a Breath

5. Red Sky at Night

6. This Heaven

7. Then I Close My Eyes

8. Smile

9. A Pocketful of Stones

10. Where We Start

This is David Gilmour's latest solo-album, and a very fine one at that too. David Gilmour once said that no matter what he does with a solo album, it never is a Pink Floyd album. Not that he is trying to make it a Pink Floyd album.

This album is very relaxing. It starts off with "Castellorizon". Shades of Pink Floyd and their incredible work of sound effects can be heard in this track. And David Gilmour does it justice. And then the first guitar solo of the album bursts in. It makes me feel like I am floating. Those strings in the backround really help bring across the mood. A perfectly structed solo it is; as always expected from Gilmour.

And then "On An Island" comes in. It is my personal favourite song from the album. The lyrics are very moving, they make shivers run through my body. And the music just does that too. There are two guitar solo's in this song. It makes me wonder when Gilmour recorded these solo's with a Les Paul, but then I saw him play them with his Fender on a video. Still, his music never ceases to amaze me. The harmonies in this song help move the song forward. You can hear and feel the emotion rushing through your stereo speakers when you listen to this song. You can already tell that this album is something else.

"The Blue" is another slow track, you feel like you are floating away when you listen to it. The moon obviously has a vast impact on Gilmour, because it was mentioned alot in his Pink Floyd days. The guitar solo in this song definately conveys the mood that you are in when you listen to the song.

"Take a Breath" is a slighty harder song. You can hear shades of Syd Barret in this song. And yet another guitar solo, but you won't hear any complaining from me!!.

"Red Sky at Night" seems to have been influenced by "Shine On You Crazy Diamond". The organs fade in, and we are treated to a nice sax solo.

And then the album breaks into "This Heaven". There is a sort of "jazzy" feel to it. This song is a bit harder than other songs on the album, but it's still a good tune. Another guitar solo can be heard in this song. As Gilmour always has it; the solo perfectly fits the mood. I even heard a bit of right-hand tapping in there!!. :D Just a tad now.

"Then I Close My Eyes" has some banjo and Gilmour singing, and more sound effects. It seems like the song is trying to get back into "Castellorizon". This piece is another lovely piece of work.

"Smile" starts of with an acoustic guitar, and there is some lead in the backround. Gilmour joins in with his voice. This song is very relaxing, and the lyrics are top-notch. And later on in the song, he is joined by more voices and the rest of the instruments.

"A Pocketful of Stones" sounds like it wants to get back into "Castellorizon". It starts off with a piano and Gilmour's voice. It is a very peaceful piece of music, and the lyrics are really good. There is a nice, relaxing solo in this song aswell.

"Where We Start" is the last song on the album. It is another relaxing piece of music. Gilmour does it yet again. And when the song fades out, you are left there in amazement. You take the Cd of out the Cd player, and go "wow....".

Overall, the album is of high quality, typical of David Gilmour. It is in general a slow album, very moving and peaceful. This is a must-have for any Gilmour fan. I'd give it 9/10.

KT Tunstall - Eye To The Telescope (2006)

kttunstall.jpg

Track Listing

1. Other Side Of The World

2. Another Place To Fall

3. Under The Weather

4. Black Horse and the Cherry Tree

5. Miniature Disasters

6. Silent Sea

7. Universe & U

8. False Alarm

9. Suddenly I See

10. Stoppin' The Love

11. Heal Over Listen

12. Through The Dark

This is KT Tunstall's debut album, and what a debut it is!!. The album has a variety of songs and mooods. The music is of top quality, and so are the lyrics. KT has an unusual voice, but it is also very beautiful at the same time. She has come up with beautiful melodies on this album. It has a number of hits on it, such as "Otherisde of the World", "Black Horse and the Cherry Tree" and "Suddenly I see".

From some of the songs on the album, it seems to me like it's being hinted at that she is a fan of David Bowie (Check out "Suddenly I See" for some crazy chords) and Norah Jones (Check out "Through the Dark".) There is something on this album for everyone who is a fan of tasteful music. "Another Place to Fall" has a slighty familiar chorus to "Run to You" by Bryan Adams, but there is nothing wrong with that.

"Silent Sea" is one of those songs that is great at conveying a mood of being lost, and KT does it effortlessly hear. It is definately one of the better songs from the album.

Over all, the album is a good piece of work, and very enjoyable to listen to, especially in these dark days of modern music. She is one of the saviours of music that has come to save us from this dark time in music. She has shed some light on the right path of music. I would give this album 8/10.

Smashing Pumpkins - Melon Collie And The Infinite Sadness (1995)

B000024JHZ.02.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Track Listing

Dawn To Dusk

1. Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness

2. Tonight, Tonight

3. Jellybelly

4. Zero

5. Here Is No Why

6. Bullet With Butterfly Wings

7. To Forgive

8. An Ode to No One

9. Love

10. Cupid de Locke

11. Galapogos

12. Muzzle

13. Porcelina of the Vast Oceans

14. Take Me Down

Twilight To Starlight

15. Where Boys Fear to Tread

16. Bodies

17. Thirty-Three

18. In the Arms of Sleep

19. 1979

20. Tales of a Scorched Earth

21. Thru the Eyes of Ruby

22. Stumbleine

23. X.Y.U.

24. We Only Come Out at Night

25. Beautiful

26. Lily (My One and Only)

27. By Starlight

28. Farewell and Goodnight

This double-disc album was Smashing Pumpkins follow-up to their album, "Siamese Dream", also one of their finer albums. Billy Corgan has said that he got his influence for this album from Pink Floyd's "The Wall". You've got to respect him for saying that. The album covers a surprisingly large scale of different styles and artistic elements. He is heavily influenced by 70's rock music, but he doesn't limit himself to that. He expands on these ideas.

The 1st disc of the album is the better half, but both still offer a wide range of pieces to listen to. Some of the songs seem to fall flat on their face and you wonder what they were doing, but it's still a good listen.

The album opens up with the beautiful album-titled piano solo, which has some soft strings accompanying it. And then the album moves into my favourite song of the whole album, "Tonight, Tonight", which has a familiar mood to the first song. "Jellybelly" and "Zero" abruptly change the mood of the album, along with "Bullet With Butterfly Wings". Already the album has covered a large range of different styles by this point.

The 2nd disc somewhat fails to give us what the 1st disc offered, but it does have some memorable songs, such as "1979". This part of the album has more of those songs that you wonder what was going on, but it's still a good effort none-the-less.

Overall, the album has a few handfuls of memorable tunes that cover a good range of musical styles. It is definately a must-have for every Smashing Pumpkins fan. It's also a good album to start off with it you are listening to Smashing Pumpkins for the 1st time. I'd give it 8/10.

Muse - Black Holes And Revelations (2006)

MuseBlackHoles.JPG

Track Listing

1. Take A Bow

2. Starlight

3. Supermassive Black Hole

4. Map Of The Problematique

5. Soldier's Poem

6. Invincible

7. Assassin

8. Exo-Politics

9. City Of Delusion

10. Hoodoo

11. Knights Of Cydonia

Muse must be another one of those bands sent by the gods to save us from the depth and despair of most modern music, because they do just that. They've been around for a good few years, and they don't cease to disappoint, especially with this latest effort. The album has many memorable songs, which are diamonds to our hearing.

The album commences with "Take A Bow", which is similar to their song "Newborn" on their album, "Origin Of Symmetry", but that's not a problem at all. I just love the way those arpeggio's are played on the keyboards. Muse are just one of the rare bands that have an amazing amount of quality to their music. All the band-members play with superior quality to most modern musicians today.

Memorable tunes from the album include "Starlight", "Supermassive Black Hole", "Map Of The Problematique", and the thunderous "Knights Of Cydonia". Muse really make their songs their own, they're a very unique band. Influences of Queen and Jeff Buckley can be heard in some of the slower songs, such as "Soldier's Poem".

"Knights Of Cydonia" is a very powerful song, and is a very well fitting way to end this album. "Black Holes And Revelations" is one of those albums that you can sit down and listen to in one go and not get bored of any of the songs, such as Pink Floyd's Dark Side Of The Moon, and Led Zeppelin's "IV". "Black Holes And Revelations" is a landmark in modern rock music, and it will be remembered for quite a very long time. I'd give it 9/10.