G8 Summit

Farin

I don't know if you already heard about it, but at the end of the month there will be a G8 summit in Heiligendamm near where I live, and for the past few weeks everyone's gone mad...

not only did they built a security fence, and got 12000 policemen from all over the country, no - last week there were raids in the leftist scene in Hamburg and Berlin, which imho, will only add in the numbers of protesters that will arrive (100,000 are expected), then add a few thousand journalists from all over the world and I predict that it will be pure chaos in that week...

even my university couldn't guarantee that the normal lecturing schedules for that week can be kept...

read more about it

Big Trouble in little Heiligendamm

Edited by Guest
added another article

Mow the protesters down with tanks , gas , and billy clubs ( that's what many are hoping for anyway : a good story to tell their friends in the pub or to pick up a chick, and a distorted sense that they did some kind of '60s -style ' important ' thing ) - or better yet , don't rent them hotel rooms and arrest them as vagrants if the try to camp out . Buying up and reserving every hotel room in the vicinity ( except anything over 1000 euros - as most don't have that much money nor interest ) would likely be cheaper and ' friendlier' than the costs of police action , anyway . Protesting at a G8 summit is so stupid . If you don't like your government , vote them out, write them or your newspaper , etc . , but don't act like a bunch of punks whose team just lost the World Cup or something ... These goofs don't realize that their fellow countrymen are far from being behind their actions anyway . They should be embarrased , rather than proud . Anyway , they should stay home and freak their own countries governments out - if they can . :P

Kevin obviously thinks long and hard about what he reads and crafts a compelling reply. Usually, at least. I like this reply, Kevin. :thumbsup:

I, on the other hand, finished reading the article and thought, "Well, if anyone can build a fence (wall), it's the Germans."

Our wall will only be made if we can hire day laborers to construct it. I do not see it being built anyway. A wall on our Southern border would not work. There are too many other ways to get in. China's wall is visible from space. They built that one to last!

I don't think I have EVER seen as much police in my life then now, and not all in one place either, they're simply everywhere. It doesn't matter if you drive on the Autobahn, the city or small villages, every 2 to 5 minutes there are police cars from all over the country driving by...

and the summit didn't even start yet :crazy:

Polizei :)

and yes, I thought that they have to get kinda familiar with the region first...

and here's an anecdote:

a small pension (bed & breakfast) in a small village not too far away from here got a phonecall from China. If there were still some beds available, they need only about 100...

the old lady who manages the inn unfortunatly had to decline: they only have three beds and only one was free for that time...

:grin:

and here's an anecdote:

a small pension (bed & breakfast) in a small village not too far away from here got a phonecall from China. If there were still some beds available, they need only about 100...

the old lady who manages the inn unfortunatly had to decline: they only have three beds and only one was free for that time...

:grin:

:puppyeyes: awwwww :grin:

• 2 weeks later...

What a fuc*ed up ' protest ' , anyway : the leaders are just arriving today ... :P ( and , yes , baby-boomer's , I wouldn't mind seeing your kids beaten senseless with billy clubs, pepper-sprayed, having dogs set on them , nor gassed - it's YOUR fault mainly , afterall - instilling a complete lack of common-sense or discipline )

Months or years in jail are in order then as this was just a riot , not at all a protest - and even a greasy lawyer would have difficulty proving otherwise .

Come to think of it now , I think my idea of renting every available room within a certain radius and blocking the entrance or sealing off access for a few days except to permitable traffic would be the answer - that , or a secret island meeting , somewhere isolated and unannounced - a la James Bond .

60's kids were at least inspired by their beliefs and readings .Today's anarchists are inspired by little or nothing - just violence - and I'd bet few have even read a book of note . Video games and media saviness are their teachers .

Edited by Guest

60's kids were at least inspired by their beliefs and readings .Today's anarchists are inspired by little or nothing - just violence - and I'd bet few have even read a book of note . Video games and media saviness are their teachers .

*nods in agreement* True, Video games, TV, computer games and a ditinct lack of intrest in the right sort of books are killing off any skills of debate or insperation children may have now-a-days. It's sad that any time I try to engage anyone in a debate about ANYTHING they have to reply with "your mom" or with a blank stare before shooting the crap out of someone on a video game. It would be a good thing if there was a powercut all through the city or something, at least for a short time, so that children can learn the usefulness of reading and of being inspired by something other then a flickering image on a screen....

Don't panic, rant is over! :)

The timing seems right once again to post the lyrics to Randy Newman's wonderful satire, "Political Science".

Rumor has it that Bush studies these lyrics for insight into foreign policy.

Be afraid, be very afraid.

Political Science by Randy Newman

No one likes us-I don't know why

We may not be perfect, but heaven knows we try

But all around, even our old friends put us down

Let's drop the big one and see what happens

We give them money-but are they grateful?

No, they're spiteful and they're hateful

They don't respect us-so let's surprise them

We'll drop the big one and pulverize them

Asia's crowded and Europe's too old

Africa is far too hot

And Canada's too cold

And South America stole our name

Let's drop the big one

There'll be no one left to blame us

We'll save Australia

Don't wanna hurt no kangaroo

We'll build an All American amusement park there