The Songfactors' Choice Top Ten #63

I wouldn't nominate a song I didn't like, but they're usually 'Pop' Singles because that's what I've been brought up on. Also the two AM music stations I listen to rarely play any Album tracks.

Martin, sorry, I don't like Falco, and that novelty song by Trio was released in English here(the few lyrics there are). And I reckon if you nominated 'Mighty Quinn' again you'd have a sure Top Ten entry. Also 'Blinded By The Light' by Manfred Mann's Earth Band (almost a completely different lineup) is one that I'd love to see renominated too !

Fintan, I've sung the praises of Manfred Mann a few times, especially their earlier songs with Paul Jones as lead vocalist. I nominated 'Do Wah Diddy Diddy' which didn't receive much support. Of course they have plenty of better songs than that. I confess I chose that one because it was a Hit !

Their 'Fox On The Run' was a very minor U.S. Hit and I think it has been nominated before. I hope people have a listen to it - it's not the same song as Sweet's 'Fox On The Run'. They're both good songs.

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I couldn't comment on that Tim, as I haven't heard it much. I don't think it was ever released by him as a single (?). I know it was on his Asbury Park Album and a 'Best Of' some years later. I like him, but I don't have any of his records. If I see that 'Best Of' at a reasonable price I'll probably pick it up some day. That's the main way I buy CDs - Compilations and Best Ofs.

:)

Martin, sorry, I don't like Falco, and that novelty song by Trio was released in English here(the few lyrics there are). And I reckon if you nominated 'Mighty Quinn' again you'd have a sure Top Ten entry. Also 'Blinded By The Light' by Manfred Mann's Earth Band (almost a completely different lineup) is one that I'd love to see renominated too !

no need to apologise, as I said these are only the best known ones, not the best (there are very few 'GOOD' NDW songs anyway ;) )

and feel free to nominate the Mighty Quinn yourself - I'll stick to 90s and 00s nominations nowadays :) (doesn't mean that I wouldn't vote for it)

Go on - be a devil. Nominate it ! :)

I hope we get some more nominations, or this could be the lowest number ever. (Worry. Ulcers. Hypertension. Headaches. Memory Loss - I repeat myself. Memory Loss - I repeat myself. See how it effects me !).

:P

you should at least have heard (of) them before...

they're both renominations :)

actually, I just discovered that Rooster wasn't nominated before :shocked:

look at the video then

"Rooster" was the nickname of the leadsinger's father in Vietnam, and that's what the song is about

Ain't found a way to kill me yet

Eyes burn with stinging sweat

Seems every path leads me to nowhere

Wife and kids household pet

Army green was no safe bet

The bullets scream to me from somewhere

:bow: :rockon: :bow:

IFintan, I've sung the praises of Manfred Mann a few times, especially their earlier songs with Paul Jones as lead vocalist. I nominated 'Do Wah Diddy Diddy' which didn't receive much support. Of course they have plenty of better songs than that. I confess I chose that one because it was a Hit !

Their 'Fox On The Run' was a very minor U.S. Hit and I think it has been nominated before. I hope people have a listen to it - it's not the same song as Sweet's 'Fox On The Run'. They're both good songs.

I like them a lot too, but I do prefer the Mike D'Abo years. :) Fox on The Run is one of my favourite songs by them.

Fin, I have a great Manfred Mann Double CD called "All Manner Of Menn". Disc One is 1963-66 with Paul Jones on lead vocals + 5 of his solos. Disc Two is 1966-69 (sometimes called Manfred Mann II) with Mike D'Abo lead. Then it goes into the 70s with solos by D'abo, Smith, Hugg, Vickers (all 'Mikes') + 3 McGuinness Flint (a spinoff Group) songs.

My favourites of the two CDs are the cover of Bob Dylan's 'With God On Our Side' and the Paul Jones' singles. Other Dylan covers are 'If You Gotta Go, Go Now', 'Just Like A Woman', 'Mighty Quinn' and 'Please Mrs. Henry'. Maybe I should've made this Post in the "Album Reviews" Thread ?

I think it's a treasure. :thumbsup:

Fin, I have a great Manfred Mann Double CD called "All Manner Of Menn". Disc One is 1963-66 with Paul Jones on lead vocals + 5 of his solos. Disc Two is 1966-69 (sometimes called Manfred Mann II) with Mike D'Abo lead. Then it goes into the 70s with solos by D'abo, Smith, Hugg, Vickers (all 'Mikes') + 3 McGuinness Flint (a spinoff Group) songs.

My favourites of the two CDs are the cover of Bob Dylan's 'With God On Our Side' and the Paul Jones' singles. Other Dylan covers are 'If You Gotta Go, Go Now', 'Just Like A Woman', 'Mighty Quinn' and 'Please Mrs. Henry'. Maybe I should've made this Post in the "Album Reviews" Thread ?

I think it's a treasure. :thumbsup:

Sounds like a great album. :)

sf_nominations.jpg

Ain't Coming Home - Silvertide (2004)

Alright - Supergrass (1995)

Baby Please Set A Date - George Thorogood & The Destroyers (1978)

Ball And Chain - Big Brother & the Holding Company f. Janis Joplin (1968)

Ballroom Blitz - The Sweet (1973)

Big Empty - Stone Temple Pilots (1994)

Brand New Key - Melanie (1971)

Days of Pearly Spencer - David McWilliams (1967)

Deep Purple - Nino Tempo & April Stevens (1963)

Devil Comes Back to Georgia,The - Mark O'Connor (& Friends) (1993)

Don't Let The Sun Go Down On Me - George Michael / Elton John (1991)

Don't Stop The Dance - Bryan Ferry (1985)

Everytime You Go Away - Paul Young (1985)

Father Christmas - The Kinks (1978)

Fox on the Run - Manfred Mann (1968)

Free Your Mind - En Vogue (1992)

Games People Play - Alan Parsons Project (1981)

Harder They Come,The - Jimmy Cliff (1972)

Hate To Say I told You So - The Hives (2000)

Hello Again - The Cars (1984)

Home - Michael Bublé (2005)

How Soon is Now - The Smiths (1984)

I Like To Rock - April Wine (1980)

I'm Losing You - John Lennon with Cheap Trick (1980)

I've Seen All Good People: Your Move/All Good People - Yes (1971)

Karma Police - Radiohead (1997)

Learning to Fly - Pink Floyd (1987)

Leather and Lace - Stevie Nicks and Don Henley (1981)

Ma Belle Amie - Tee Set (1969)

Mission Temple Fireworks Stand - Paul Thorn (2002)

Most Beautiful Girl, The - Charlie Rich (1973)

Mr. Brownstone - Guns n' Roses (1987)

One - U2 (1991)

Out In The Street - Bruce Springsteen (1980)

Out On The Tiles - Led Zeppelin (1970)

Peace Frog - The Doors (1970)

Praise You - Fatboy Slim (1998)

R.O.C.K. in the U.S.A - John Mellencamp (1985)

Rock and Roll - The Velvet Underground (1970)

Rooster - Alice In Chains (1992)

Route 66 Theme - Nelson Riddle (1960)

School Days - The Runaways (1977)

Sukiyaki - Kyu Sakamoto (1963)

Summer Song, A - Chad & Jeremy (1964)

Sure Know Something - KISS (1979)

Too Late To Turn Back Now - Cornelius Brothers & Sister Rose (1972)

Walking in the Sun - The Zombies (1973)

Wipe Out - The Surfaris (1963)

World Without Love, A - Peter & Gordon (1964)

Young Girl - Gary Puckett & The Union Gap (1968)

VOTE AWAY NOW!!

:headphones:

1- World Without Love, A - Peter & Gordon (1964)

2- Harder They Come,The - Jimmy Cliff (1972)

3- Ma Belle Amie - Tee Set (1969)

4- Most Beautiful Girl, The - Charlie Rich (1973)

5- Ball And Chain - Janis Joplin (Big Brother & the Holding Comapny) (1968)

6- I'm Losing You - John Lennon with Cheap Trick (1980)

7- Out In The Street - Bruce Springsteen (1980)

Rock and Roll - The Velvet Underground (1970)

8- Summer Song, A - Chad & Jeremy (1964)

9- Young Girl - Gary Puckett & the Union Gap

10- Hello Again - The Cars (1984)