Can you recognize a band by a note, or a voice?

GeeterMcgee

I have few that are absolutely recognizable by a note or voice: Stepenwolf, The Stones, Boston, Aerosmith, The Guess Who, Beatles (an obvious one), Stix, Kansas, Lynard Skynard, Allman Bros, Doubie Bros., ELP, Eric Clapton, Jimmy Hendrix, SRV, ELO, CSN&/or, Y., Bread, Alice Cooper, Zep, Ozzie, and on and on! Who can you honestly make a beneficiary of this simple subject?

AC/DC's "You Shook Me All Night Long" is immediately recognizable from the first note of the song. This is pretty much the case with anything by AC/DC!

I can name that song in 3 notes :::

Light My Fire

Black Magic Woman

Hotel California

Kashmir

Free Bird

Of course we've heard them so many times; perhaps this is why some songs are so immediately recognizable.

Singers with a distinctive singing voice:

Brian Johnson

Don Henley

Sting

Bono

CCR, ZZTop, the Doors, Journey and U2 are bands whose songs I can pick up quite quickly.

Bruce Springsteen, Bob Dylan, Janis Joplin, Michael Stipe and Tom Petty all have very distinctive voices.

For newer music,I think Pat Monahan from Train has a distinctive voice, as well as Melissa Etheridge and Sheryl Crow

I can already tell it's Zeppelin from the guitar, same with Hendrix. Rolling Stones aren't hard to differentiate. Same with Metallica's opening guitar. Guns N' Roses can be recognized right away. Most of what was listed in the previous posts have the same appeal.

Just about any band I've listened to enough of I can recognize on the first instance, but I usually know most of their songs as it is. One band I can't tell when I hear them is Jet. They're intros copy just about anything else that was previously written, I like the idea they have behind their style, but it's a blatant rip-off IMO.

Okay. I tested this one out.

Before my brother went out to go to work this afternoon, I found a 297-song CD which I had previously compiled. Amongst other things, it had on it about 162 of my 250 Everly Brothers tracks. A good favourite of mine, and one wouldn't be too careful in mentioning them as a guilty pleasure.

The list goes through the favourites, every Everly Brothers fan's favourite two-take wonderpiece "All I Have To Do Is Dream", the a-capella opening of "Maybe Tomorrow", and the beautiful harpsichord of "It's All Over". "Down In The Willow Garden"'s unique opening Eb minor chord.

Practically all of the songs in their catalogue I've learned to identify with just a half second listening time.

I can also do the same with most Beach Boys tracks, but I've had more time to hone that skill..

Alot of people say the can recognize Robert Plants voice, but...if you listen to the early recordings of Aerosmith...Steve Tyler sounds alot like Robert Plant....especially in the song Dream On. Steve Tyler probably could have done Stairway to Heaven and most Led songs w/o ppl knowing it was him. They would probably still think it was Robert Plant...