Alice Cooper - A Christian?

Ken

But isn't education the stimulation of thought for the purpose of formulating sound opinion? This is generally accomplished through alterations to existing trains of thought. I suppose one could say they don't come to this site for education, but for recreation; but even during those moments, most find it impossible to close up the learning process completely. I hope I never stop being open to learn anywhere, anytime.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think learning about recording music or baking cookies is very different from learning about religion, because it's based on belief... I don't need to believe in dough or sugar in order to change my opinion on how to bake the perfect cookie, you know? But I do need to believe in God in order to change my opinion on religion in such a way that I'll be converted.

I don't know, S2V... no one ever stops learning. It's not something you "turn off" once you log on to Songfacts. But the impression I got from the previous posts is that a belief like Atheism or Agnosticism is wrong. You say you found proof for your belief. But not everyone experiences that. That's all.

Why is hope for an afterlife seem so sad to you? This hope brings much needed stress relief to a great many people.

The same case could be made for masturbation and marijuana, but these are arguably not a solid foundation for a system of religious belief.

And when it comes down to it, aren't "hope" and "disappointment" two sides of the same coin?

Radhi, did any of those other previous posts give you the imprssion that Cooper's conversion to Christianity was wrong? I guess I am trying to stimulate thought through civil debate rather than humbly accept a view that those who espouse the existence of a Creator to be less enlightened or somehow not able to think for oneself. So many times the rational, scientific approach wins its share of converts as well, from the ranks of those who WANT to believe in God, but are just not sure if it is "cool" to do so anymore.

I have been both agnostic and an atheist at points in my life. But I have never been inflexible. I respect a good argument along with a handshake.

And my views have absolutely NOTHING to do with "religion." Most organized religions are, as Jesus put it, "whitened sepulchres," brightly reflected tombs full of old bones. I don't desire anyone to "convert" to an organization, but to seek a relationship with the one who created them, in order to find their true purpose in life.

If my words seem offensive to anyone - I certainly don't mean it that way. I really love the people I have come to know as Songfactors. All of them. Think of me as a designated driver. A servant now who is a recovering alcoholic. I know what it is like to be wobbly on the barstool; and I'm just trying to help. If you are comfortable driving yourself home, have at it.

Radhi, did any of those other previous posts give you the imprssion that Cooper's conversion to Christianity was wrong?

Ah, well, to be honest, the fact that it's the subject of a thread would imply that it's a debatable topic. :)

The same case could be made for masturbation and marijuana, but these are arguably not a solid foundation for a system of religious belief.

Neither of which ever caused an anxiety attack.

Let me stress that I am not discussing religion. The coolest preacher I ever met told me, "Religion is man's way of trying to reach up to touch God, but relationships are God's way of touching humans." The pope is in Brazil right now and I mean to tell you, he needs to smoke a doobie or get alone with himself awhile! Just chill out and let people make their own judgements as to what works in their life! Here's a man devoted to celibacy telling people they aren't having enough babies! Oh well ... Anytime faith is brought up, many start flashing back to a very bad experience with some pompous organization. I find it interesting that the only people Jesus ever got mad at were the "religious leaders."

The point of my quoted post you site is that people aren't necessarily helping others by offering implied scientific facts through rationale that really is based in theory itself. When confronting or validating the opinions of those who hold out hope for an afterlife, we must respect that belief as truth as valid as any.

Fair enough. I apologise if that comment cheapened an otherwise serious-minded discussion: it was a case of me reverting to frivolous type. Sammy's response was quite amusing though, eh?!

Getting back to the issue of Alice Cooper's conversion though. Previously, I had no opinion of "Alice Cooper" (Vince Furnier), either good, bad or indifferent: it has always been pretty obvious that Alice was a creation, a figment of one guy's imagination, a role for playing out (and playing up to) elaborate adolescent fantasies...

Now that I discover that his creator has been "born again", my opinion of him is neither enhanced nor diminished. It's just one of those things that happens.

What is a trifle irksome is when fervent "believers" claim to pity, shed tears and offer patronising prayers for "non-believers", just because they assume we're heading for hell in a handcart.

I would never assume someone is going to Hell for their beliefs (or lack thereof), because it's not my place to decide that. I've met a few fundamentalists that tell me I'm going to Hell because I'm Catholic, so I really don't want to pass judgment on others...

And hey, I could be wrong about everything, but that wouldn't bother me so much.

I would never assume someone is going to Hell for their beliefs (or lack thereof), because it's not my place to decide that.

Some interesting thoughts there, but I'll only make one comment; that I wholeheartedly agree with Tim on the above. My God is a loving and merciful one. I'll leave judging people for Eternity to Him.

:)

Tsk, tsk, tsk... if we're getting into debates about these things, why not throw reincarnation in there? I don't believe in it, but at least consider all the options.

Can't let this go. I don't either, Radhi, but if there's no God and it's true, I want to come back as a dog with rabies. I might start a list of (Lista) people to bite. Rrrr.

I am a little irreverent at times, but I believe my God also has a sense of humor.

;)

I am a little irreverent at times, but I believe my God also has a sense of humor.

;)

You're a wise man and a wise guy Darryl.

It's never ceased to amaze me what strange vehicles God will use to channel His words.

According to scripture, Jesus came to earth to hang-out with and minister to the Alice Coopers of the world... not the Billy Grahams.

Jimmy Buffett

My Head Hurts, My Feet Stink, and I Don't Love Jesus

My head hurts, my feet stink, and I don't love Jesus (oh my lordy it's that...)

It's that kind of mornin'

Really was that kind of night

Tryin' to tell myself that my condition is improvin'

And if I don't die by Thursday I'll be roarin' Friday night

Went down to the snake pit

To drink a little beer

Listen to the jukebox

Merle was comin' in clear

All of a sudden I wad'n alone

Pickin' country music with ol' Joe Bones

Duval Street was rockin'

My eyes they starting poppin'