Does your hometown have any Rock-n-Roll history?

I grew up in the environs of the small South Yorkshire town of Doncaster: hardly metropolis. However, if Doncaster has any "claim to fame", it might be that The Sex Pistols played there in 1977 under the sobriquet The SPOTS (Sex Pistols On Tour Secretly) during the time when they were otherwise unable to play due to a nationwide ban.

Being only 12 at the time and mainly into chart-pop, I didn't make it to the gig. :(

Otherwise, MOR rocker John Parr (once big in the states, virtually unheard of over here, apart from one hit single) originates from Doncaster.

I've lived in Leeds since 1983. Leeds' claims to fame?

Leeds

-is where The Who recorded "Live In Leeds"

-spawned the most excellent Gang Of Four

- is regarded as the Goth Capital of the World, having given birth to The Sisters Of Mercy and a legion of imitators. Now that Goth is a genuinely international (watered-down and widely reviled) phenomenon, people tend to overlook Leeds' pivotal role in the genre's history. In a 4-star album review in the now-defunct music weekly "Sounds", my old band was credited with administering a "life-extinguishing kick in the crutch" to Goth. "Goth is dead! Leeds must suffer no more", gushed the reviewer. Had we ever become famous, that might have been something worth being famous for. :P

Edited by Guest
insert "up"

The Tea Party originates from my hometown of LaSalle, Ontario. I went to the same high school as singer Jeff Martin and Jeff Burrows. Martin's parents still live on the same street not far from where I live.

Paul: since I'm sure you will be checking out this thread, and I don't suppose you bother with the Random Thoughts threads, could I just digress for a moment?

In a recent slightly heated debate on a Random Thoughts thread, it was suggested by a fellow SongFactor that some of us may have subjected you to unfair or unpleasant treatment that may, on occasion, have diverged from the spirit/word of the Site Rules and Regs. (Particular attention was drawn to the debate we had about The Sex Pistols about a year ago.) I pointed out my view that when we have had an exchange of views,(e.g."the Pistols debate"), there has been a degree of "give and take", and that this has gone on in the context of an opinionated discussion between adults with a passionate interest in music and a level of resilience that enables us to engage in jocular badinage without causing each other harm. I also intimated that I have generally enjoyed your contributions to the site, contributing to the ensuing discussions, and checking out your blogs. Unfortunately, the thread was ultimately deleted, so I can't accurately recall any other positive remarks I may have made about you, your threads, your blogs, your resilience, etc., and a degree of shared understanding of "the rules of engagement". So you'll just have to take my word for it.

I would be interested to know your perception of how you have been treated here, (by myself and others), in comparison to other music sites you regularly frequent.

rory gallagher originally came from donegal but cork was his home for much of his life and he's buried close to my grandad. most of the other musicians from cork wouldn't really be known internationally i think, except for maybe the sultans of ping fc, most famous for that song 'where's me jumper'!

We have a lot of artists come from Georgia.

My ancestors were the first to settle in the city and county Trisha Yearwood was born and raised in: Monticello, GA. The county? Jasper. Named after a mule. Her latest album, Jasper County, deals with the actual county. Her song "Georgia Rain" even mentions the county.

Another town I lived in, Tallapoosa, is the home town of a local DJ of one of two highly popular country stations. Rhubarb Jones was born and raised in Tallapoosa, and he returns every year to kick off some state-wide marathon for some cause.

Athens is home to the B52s.

You know their song "Love Shack"? We have a chain of adult novelty stores named "Love Shack".

I'm sure there's more, but can't think of it now...

Tom DeLonge of Blink 182 graduated from my alma mater - Poway High School (albeit 13 years later).

As for where I live now, we've got Mrs. Rita's shop in Tempe (from "Mrs. Rita" by Gin Blossoms, who were from Phoenix), Roger Clyne lives in Mesa, Stevie Nicks grew up in Phoenix and still has a home here, and Jimmy Eat World is from Mesa, also. All within 30 minutes' drive from where I live.

I also intimated that I have generally enjoyed your contributions to the site, contributing to the ensuing discussions, and checking out your blogs.

I´m glad you bring up this subject, BF... I want to say that I like PEW´s blog, with good ideas, well developped and excellent pictures. He knows his stuff.

I grew up in the environs of the small South Yorkshire town of Doncaster: hardly metropolis. However, if Doncaster has any "claim to fame", it might be that The Sex Pistols played there in 1977 under the sobriquet The SPOTS (Sex Pistols On Tour Secretly) during the time when they were otherwise unable to play due to a nationwide ban.

Being only 12 at the time and mainly into chart-pop, I didn't make it to the gig. :(

Otherwise, MOR rocker John Parr (once big in the states, virtually unheard of over here, apart from one hit single) originates from Doncaster.

I've lived in Leeds since 1983. Leeds' claims to fame?

Leeds

-is where The Who recorded "Live In Leeds"

-spawned the most excellent Gang Of Four

- is regarded as the Goth Capital of the World, having given birth to The Sisters Of Mercy and a legion of imitators. Now that Goth is a genuinely international (watered-down and widely reviled) phenomenon, people tend to overlook Leeds' pivotal role in the genre's history. In a 4-star album review in the now-defunct music weekly "Sounds", my old band was credited with administering a "life-extinguishing kick in the crutch" to Goth. "Goth is dead! Leeds must suffer no more", gushed the reviewer. Had we ever become famous, that might have been something worth being famous for. :P

BF...Methinks you engage in a lytotic divertissement vis a vis bands that might claim a Leeds connection....surely some of the below-mentioned might also be worthy of a footnote in rock's history?

Abrasive Wheels

Age of Chance

The Attic Project

Black Wire

The Blueskins

Buen Chico

Christie - Jeff Christie born in Leeds

Chumbawamba

Dead Disco

Duels

Embrace - Actually from Brighouse, near Huddersfield but often talked about as a 'Leeds band'.

The Expelled

¡Forward, Russia!

Girls At Our Best

Hood

Kaiser Chiefs - Ricky Wilson went to Leeds Grammar School and joined with the rest later

The Little Blackhearts

The Isles

The March Violets

The Mekons

The Music - went to or met at Brigshaw High

NerveRack

School.

The Smokestacks

Otherside

Troubled Shooting

Pale Saints

Parisman

Printed Circuit

Red Lorry Yellow Lorry

Room44

Salvation

Send More Paramedics

Soft Cell

This Et Al

The Three Johns

The Underdogs

Utah Saints

Vib Gyor

The Wedding Present

Your Vegas

Just a thought (or two) :)

(apologies if you've mentioned any of them in you otiose prose). :)

BF...Methinks you engage in a lytotic divertissement vis a vis bands that might claim a Leeds connection....surely some of the below-mentioned might also be worthy of a footnote in rock's history?

Indeed they might, if I had been bothering with "footnotes", and Paul had asked for "lists of bands (however obscure) with connections (however tenuous) to your hometown", which he didn't. There's a thread for "lists of hometown bands" elsewhere, to which I have already contributed and, mercifully, without smartass comments for afters, I might add.

For the record:

Abrasive Wheels: classic third wave punk band. I saw them live a year or so back.

Age of Chance: famed for wearing cycling gear, even when "off-duty", years before this became an even more inexcusable fashion faux-pas

The Attic Project: never heard of them

Black Wire: new band, yet to make history

The Blueskins: by anybody's standards, this promising band is from Wakefield, not Leeds

Buen Chico: never heard of them

Christie - Jeff Christie born in Leeds: Who he?

Chumbawamba: have mentioned them countless times before, "when my band played with the Chumbas, I met one of Chumbawamba the other day...etc." :sleepy:

Dead Disco: :confused:

Duels: peu connu

Embrace - Actually from Brighouse, near Huddersfield but often erroneously talked about as a 'Leeds band'.

The Expelled: Rothwell, not Leeds

¡Forward, Russia!: might be huge one day. Anyone else here ever heard of them yet? Nope, thought not.

Girls At Our Best: Some classic singles- "Going Nowhere Fast" , "Fast Boyfriends"; the ex-bassist in my band worked in a delicatessen frequented by GAOB former guitarist.Hang on: the deli was owned by former GAOB guitarist's parents...or summat like that.

Hood: = Good

Kaiser Chiefs - Ricky Wilson went to Leeds Grammar School and joined with the rest later. They're all from Leeds, as far as I'm aware.The Kaisers opened the American Live8 show, despite being unheard of and "foreign", which I suppose is "rock history" of sorts. :P

The Little Blackhearts: Not known at this address

The Isles: ditto

The March Violets: sub-standard Sisters imitators

The Mekons: Legendary

The Music - went to or met at Brigshaw High: Whoopee Doo!

NerveRack: I believe I may have mentioned them once or twice hereabouts. "Semi-legendary" is probably nearer the mark...

School: Qui ca?

The Smokestacks: You've lost me.

Otherside: I'm struggling...

Troubled Shooting: Where on earth do you get them, johnny?

Pale Saints: briefly flavour of the month in...1989? Ian of The Pale Saints, was a decent lad, if rather emaciated and pallid of complexion for my liking, he lived just round the corner, may even have popped round for a cup of tea an odd time.

Parisman: they exist then?

Printed Circuit: I don't believe you

Red Lorry Yellow Lorry: not a bad band, truth be told, but I couldn't tell you anything interesting about them

Room44: (looks totally blank)

Salvation: a former lead-singer is married to my kids' childminder.

Send More Paramedics: splendid name- a big future beckons!

Soft Cell: yeah ok, I'm sure PaulEW is fascinated to hear some Soft Cell anecdotes. My ex-band's bass-player (the one who worked at the deli), well, his partner Marie was a college contemporary of Marc Almond, and once lent him a fiver when he was strapped for cash. (He paid her back later)

This Et Al: might make it one day.

The Three Johns: legends in their own lunchtime I was present (DJing in fact) at the recording of their "live" album.

The Underdogs: Woodlesford, not Leeds. I used to have their brilliant "East Of Dachau b/w Johnny go Home" single on the Riot City label,(their only release) but lost it somewhere along the line :(

Utah Saints: Jez of tHe Utah Saints (formerly of The Cassandra Complex, once described as "big in Germany") has a child attending the same pre-school nursery as my youngest, but his daughter goes mornings, mine afternoons, so we've yet to meet

Vib Gyor: You're joking, aintcha? ;)

The Wedding Present: despite being known to relatively few on a worldwide scale, The Prez still hold the record for the most UK singles chart entries in a calendar year, by dint of releasing a new single at the start of each month in 1991, (I'm guessing), at the height of their popularity.

Your Vegas: ???

You failed to mention the noteworthy CUD, who recently reformed for critically-acclaimed live performances to support the release of their "Best Of" anthology. Also The Sunshine Underground (the next Leeds band most likely to...good album...), Sky Larkin (see "Get The Word Out" thread for more on them)...Casper Hauser (underrated indie songsmith; see "Get The Word Out" etc.)...The Bridewell Taxis (Leeds' second-rate response to the Madchester, baggy-indie-dance craze of late 80s/early 90s), and a few others I daresay.

Otherwise, a valiant effort, johnny. Thanks for reviving some fond memories. ;) :thumbsup:

They are good, aren't they? Saw them live at the Hyde Park(Leeds 6) Free Festival this summer. Very impressed, I was.

I did mention them on a recent "Best Bands from Your Hometown" thread, but thought this thread had more of a "Historic Rock Events in your Hometown / Why your Hometown is Noteworthy to the Rock Historian" vibe to it. Until johnnyguitar set me straight.

Portland is the home of the Kingsmen, who recorded one of the greatest and most famous rock n roll songs of all time, "Louie Louie." The Kingsmen have been said to help launch the garage rock revolution in the US, a very DIY style of music, so it shouldn't be a surprise that Portland is currently one of the best cities in the US when it comes to indie music. If you ask me, it is currently THE best city in the US for indie. Our music scene is completely underrated, and fortunately, I believe it's going to stay that way.

As far as my hometown goes, we lay claim to (born, raised, and still lives) Chuck Berry. I've visited his compound many times as a teen to party, dance, and attend rock festivals (ala Altamont, security provided by local motorcycle gangs). Also Michael McDonald, of the Doobies, but we don't mention him often. Ick. Head East, Reo Speedwagon, and The Ozark Mountain Daredevils also, because their hometowns are tiny specks on the map compared to the closest big city of St Louis! :)

I'm surprised certain people hadn't jumped on my comment about no musicians of note coming from Manitoba, Canada... :smirk:

Tom Cochrane is from Lynn Lake and the Guess Who are out of Winnipeg... naturally that means half of BTO are from here too :tongue:

Some other guy is from Manitoba too... did okay for himself, but his name escapes me... :wink: