Six Original Musical Geniuses

I was once told that there is 6 rock bands that are truly original. In todays music industry it is quite easy to point out who copied who and so on, and who is in it to rip whoever else's fans off... but I just want an opinion on if these 6 bands can be truly traced back to an earlier style. I am looking for an opinion, so anything goes.

Tool

Nirvana

Alice In Chains

Deftones

Nine Inch Nails

Radiohead

Have a great day!! :)

I'm sorry to say this but there are so many bands that if you looked back you could say were completely original, like for example the Doors were definately something new, I mean they might have used a blues style, but they weren't ripping anybody off and also Jim Morrison was litterally a genius (seriously in high school he had a IQ of I'm pretty sure of this 149 and i think that legally you're considered a genius with a IQ of 120) and believe me he only got smarter after that (must read book= no one here gets out alive, it's an exellent Jim Morrison biography) and then there were bands like the Beatles who completely changed music, then there was the Eagles in the '70s who might of been influenced by steely dan, but everybody is influenced by somebody, though not nessacarily other bands (for example Jim Morrison was mainly influenced by poets and philosephers)i mean the Eagles were genius's (hotel california) and there wasn't really a specific category that could describe them (eventually they were unoffically called "california rock") and I love Nirvana and all but even they did there share of ripping off (not nessacarilly bad I'm pretty much obsessive over the band especially Kurt Cobain, ask any of my friends) like for example the song smells like teen spirit Kurt Cobain was qouted as saying that he was "basically trying to rip off the pixies" and then a lot of the bands you mentioned are just too new and it's kind of impossible to say that Nirvana and Alice and chains are both totally original on the same list for they were both early grunge bands (along with soundgarden) the later grunge bands started in 1992 (Pearl jam and Stone Temple Pilots) I rest my case

I didn't say they were the only original bands. I said their style has been claimed (by Circus Magazine I might add, as I just have been told from the person who told me)to be the first of their kind. There are way too many bands that also fall into this category, but I was speaking of these. There is a key difference between Nirvana and Alice in Chains, it would be Staley's vocals, which defined and put Alice in Chains in their own category, even though they were defined as Grunge, but it is easy to say Alice in Chains along with Nirvana defined the grunge for all future attempts. The music industry has used the terms pre-Nirvana, and pre-Grunge. Also I never mentioned anything about IQ levels, I have no idea were that started. Einstein wasn't the best musician in the world. Jim Morrison was also a key in shaping the music we now listen to today, but the fans is what makes a band great. We can't forget Jimi Hendrix who has been coined as pioneering the electric guitar. I believe the eagles hold the best selling record of all time being their greatest hits, but I am not sure of it. Pink Floyd wouldn't be too far behind with their "The Wall", and Led Zeppelin "Led Zeppelin IV" but I don't want to be quoted as saying these 6 were the only original bands, because I didn't say so. I only said they all have an original sound, and this is a quote from the Circus Magazine, so it isn't anything personal.

Rest In Peace Kurt Cobain (Apr. 5, 1994) Layne Staley (Apr. 5, 2002)

Have a Great Day!!! :)

I can't think of any obvious influences on any of those 6 bands. I've noticed that singers like David Bowie tend to claim obscure influences, meaning they weren't the first to make that kind of noise, but the first to make it famous. If Kurt could speak he might list bands like Mudhoney as an influence, and Thom Yorke probably listened to some stuff most people have never heard of. Those 6 might be as original as you can get, although I might add Eminem to that list.

Carl

Looking at how Avril is being made out to be punk by her fans, and pop by her non-listeners, maybe she needs a category. Looking at this "Nu" craze, why not place her in Nu Pop? At least the fighting will stop and she will go away for the time being.

Have a Great Day!!! :)

Hehehe new smiles!!! :drummer: :guitar:

Good job keeping this page running Sara and Carl :thumbsup: :bow:

I think that a subject like this is very opinionated and everyone you ask is going to have a different idea. I always thought that Alice in Chains and Nirvana had a lot of similarities. I've heard some Tool that reminded me of NIN. I don't think there's any originality today within each specific music genre. Everyone is influenced by somebody, so total originality is a very hard thing to find.

As for Mariah Carey doing Def Lepppard....I have heard it. I happened upon her performance on the Today show a few weeks back. I heard that she was covering it, but I hadn't heard it until then. :thumbsdown: She has totally butchered the song. She's made it watered-down pop crap. I can't understand how some artists will let certain other artists cover their songs. This a good example. Sting letting Puff Daddy/P. Diddy use "Every Breath You Take" for that God-awful rap song is another one. For the life of me, I can't understand it.

If the only way that young teenage girls ever hear the genius that is North/Zarat's Unchained Melody through Gareth Gates, then so be it. Better that than he try writing his own thing and it turning out a lot worse than something of UM's quality...

The bands you listed, especially Nirvana & Alice in Chains (RIP Kurt and Lane) - Pearl Jam & Stone Temple Pilots as well - they changed the way rock sounded coming out of the "Hair Band" plastic 80's, which I remember all too well. They brought back the true grit of rock - the no frills, classic sound once reigned over by the likes of some of the bands I've listed below. Some time ago, these bands were considered "progressive" - nothing being recorded at the time sounded anything like them. They were also the influence behind so many bands making music then and now. In every generation there are artists that change music for the better. In my opinion, some of that musical genius you are talking about can be found in the music of any one of these bands - they were the true pioneers of rock: :shades:

Led Zeppelin

Pink Floyd

Rush

Genesis

Supertramp

Yes

Oops! I failed to mention the ultimate, near genius (IQ of 149) musical genius: Jim Morrison. The sound that came from The Doors (they never had a bass guitar played in any of their songs): the originality of Jim's lyrics, Ray's keyboards - they were the very 1st in the "progressive" league.

The Moody Blues were another pioneer band, but listen to the lyrics of any Doors, Led Zeppelin and Pink Floyd song. The lyrics are so deep and philosophical. These men (especially Robert Plant and Jim Morrison) were no dummies. They were into literature and history; they read many books and were very knowledgable about many subjects. Not one band in the 80's (that I recall anyway) came out with anything remotely as intelligent. Poison, Cinderella, Bon Jovi or Motley Crue? How about Warrant or Whitesnake (a Robert Plant wannabe if there ever was one). It was all about getting laid - not that it's a bad thing, but there was nothing of any substance to their lyrics - just cliche.

Sting and U2 are also wonder lyricists. If you can get past the political overtones of U2's lyrics (and political actions and reactions), the music is incredible. The sound is different than that of other bands. Sting has had more success as a solo artist than when he was with The Police. Funny how you always know it is Bono or Sting the minute they open their mouths. The voices are very distinctive. Why Sting ever let anyone sample his music is beyond me!

• 2 weeks later...

I do like Stone Temple Pilots...some stuff anyway; nothing too funky. Big Empty, Interstate Love Song, Plush, and of course Vasoline (my favorite STP tune) - the riff is so cool. Pearl Jam...what can I say. I HATE their new music, and they (more so Ed) have taken on, though less subtle, and rather rough and unpolished, the political views of U2 that I find rather unappealing. Ed can be mouthy and out of control - totally get lost in his convictions & opinions and become unruly. I can name 3 songs on Binaural (5/2000) that were great. Do not ask me the rest; the album sucks! Sorry, but their debut (Ten) and Vs (2nd album) were it for them. I'm married to Ten myself, though I haven't fully listened to Pearl Jam or given their music any attention in months - closer to a year. No Code was good if you could get into the different, Middle Eastern, Indian, somwhere I heard Celtic too, kind of twangy sound. I liked it. Red Mosquito off No Code kicks ass! You are right - nothing good lately.

I wonder who influenced Pearl Jam. Probably bands local - in the Seattle area, though Mike McCreedy loves The Stones Keith Richards and Ed Vedder loves The Who's Pete Townsend. I'd never classify them as having a Stone or Who sound though. They are not grunge - they are rock. Nirvana was rock...grunge was a description of something else - attire perhaps. Other influences are probably bands I've never heard of or would even listen to for that matter ::

Yep, they suck now :thumbsdown:, so I will stick to, or go back to my favorites: Floyd, Zeppelin and Genesis :thumbsup:.

Sweet, I totally agree with you. "Purple" is one of the greatest rock albums ever in my opinion. I liked their debut "Core" but "Purple" blew it away. I saw them in Atlanta during their tour for "Tiny Gifts..." and it was and still is one of the best live shows I have ever seen.

As for Pearl Jam, they haven't done a thing for me since "Vs". I don't even try to get into them anymore.

From a musician's point of view, that's funny. The chord progression itself isn't so weird once you get to the verse. Just a (dominant minor, tonic major 7, dominant minor, tonic major 7) * 2. Subdominant, Dominant major 6th, tonic. Nothing too out of the ordinary, but so beautifully executed...

DISCLAIMER: Yes, I did work that out on the spot. Yes, I do have too much time on my hands.

• 2 months later...

Unfortunately, while you are on the right track, you have not gone back to the roots of music that all artist built off of. If you're talking about six of the VERY BEST!!

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Here they are ...

? Chuck Berry

? James Brown

? Buddy Holly

? Chet Atkins

? Elvis Presley

? Bill Haley

~ Mike

• 6 months later...

Im afraid the bands that you've listed are not anywhere near musical geniuses. There have only been a handful of musical geniuses in the history of rock, and they are as follows

-Jim Morrison

-Robert Plant/Jimmy Page

-Roger Waters/David Gilmour

-John Lennon

-Mick Jagger/Keith Richards

-Pete Townshend

I think John Lennon said it best:

If you were to give rock-n-roll another name then the name would be Chuck Berry.

I believe this to be true. Without the likes of him and Little Richard, there would have been no Beatles, Beach Boys, Rolling Stones or Bob Dylan to inspire such bands as the Doors/ Jimi Hendrix Experience and future new rock.

This is only my opinion but I firmly believe it.