Katmandu

Mike

Katmandu - Bob Seger

Kathmandu is a starting point for many, many people who land in Nepal to conquer a mammoth rock known as Mount Everest. Elevation 29,029 feet.

35 minutes out of Kathmandu by air, climbers arrive at Lukla, Lukla (elevation 9350 ft) is the proverbial gateway to Everest base camp (17,600 ft) via the Namche Bazaar (11,286 ft) up the Khumbu Glacier.

The reason I know so much about this is I've read a lot about mountain climbing particularly Everest climbing.

The story that drew me into this mad hobby was "Into Thin Air" written by Jon Krakauer .

It's an amazing story. It's an amazing obsession, mountain climbing, and attempting to reach the summit of the top of the world in particular.

I recently read about a Mt. Rainier expedition (a mere 1/2 the height of Everest at 14,411 ft) and the challenges even it promises, still though, very intriguing. I'd love to see that view.

Bob Seger wrote this about a getting away, he thought of it as a great place to be isolated from the rest of the world. Cat Stevens wrote a song by the same title which appeared in his 1970 album, Mona Bone Jakon.

everestroutesouthht4.jpg

everestsummitpt7.jpg

And the greatest song on "Live Bullet", recorded live at Detroit's "Cobo Hall", September 4th and 5th, 1975. The introduction to the album (Whoa! You are here because you want the real thing! Let's bring out, Bob Seger and the Silver Bullet Band, NOW!") was done by hugely popular (at the time) Dan Carlysle from WWWW-FM (W4 as it was known).

Awesome presentation, Mike.

Widely considered one of the best live performers ever. His ability to connect with the audience is amazing. Has had 10 straight (or is 11?) platinum and multi-platinum albums, 19 Top-40 singles, nearly a million ticket sales during the '96 tour and nearly 50 million albums sold worldwide. He Has recorded 19 albums spanning nearly 40 years. He was born in Detroit, and only had regional success at first. By 1968, he had five Top Ten singles in the Detroit market. He was unheard of outside Michigan, Florida, Pennsylvania and a few other Midwest markets -- but in Detroit, his records outsold the Beatles. He has had one #1 hit and one #1 album. Has created some of the most beautiful music ever. Truly a legend forever.

• 3 weeks later...

KATHMANDU (AFP) - A British mountaineer has set a world record by making the first mobile telephone call from the summit of Mount Everest, taking the blessing -- or curse -- of the cell phone to new heights.

"It's cold, it's fantastic, the Himalayas are everywhere," Rod Baber said in the phone call from the top of the 8,848-metre peak early on Monday morning, according to a voice recording posted on his weblog.

"I can't feel my toes, everyone is in good spirits -- we got here in record time, it is amazing," said Baber.

His achievement was made possible by China Telecom, which has set up a mobile phone tower at base camp on the north side of the mountain.

While the Himalayas had been cherished as one of the few places on earth where you can truly get away from it all, the news has nevertheless been welcomed by those involved in the adventure business.

"It's good news because communications are essential in the mountains where climbers face huge risks," said Ang Tsering Sherpa, the president of Nepal's Mountaineering Association.

"The mobile coverage could help in rescue operations," he said.

The call is one of several high altitude stunts being carried out in the current Everest climbing season.

Last week a Briton pulled off the season's first big stunt by making the first flight over the summit using a powered paraglider.

A Nepali mountaineer has also broken his own world record by scaling the peak for a breathtaking seventeenth time.

Other daredevils on the mountain include

Wim "Iceman" Hof, a Dutchman attempting to scale the peak wearing just shorts, boots, gloves and a cap.

(this is nuts!!!!)

This year, around 550 people are attempting Everest from both Nepal and via the northern flank in China.

Copyright © AFP 2007