Dark Synthpop

usernameddr

Hmmm. I never thought of Corey Hart as "dark" =:P It would be a dark day when Corey Hart fans unite once again and he decides to go on tour here in North America... the ground will swell with magma and a great pest will befall us from the skies. We need to offer some human sacrifices on the closet shrines to appease the great goat gods so that they do not bring more spiritual insolence in the form of "Corey Hart."

Have you tried listening to some Wolfsheim and Camouflage? That German stuff is - duh! - kinda dark :beatnik:

It kind of depends what you mean by "synth-pop" and what you consider "dark", doesn't it? Synthpop is a fairly specific music genre, with quite a few artists that readily spring to mind. However, I've never heard of Corey Hart so I can't comment on him/her/them, and if you'd asked me to name a "synthpop" band, I might have been here quite some time before I came up with Split Enz.

Of the UK synth-pop artists who came to prominence in the late 80s, quite a few conveyed a "dark side" from time to time.

If it is "synth-pop" you're after, try listening to early material by:

- Gary Numan: "Down In The Park" or "Me I Disconnect From You" from the album Tubeway Army album "Replicas")

- Ultravox: "Hiroshima Mon Amour" or "Slow Motion"

- John Foxx: "Underpass", "No-one Driving", "Burning Car"

Personally, I don't find these particularly dark, but it's all relative, y'know. Titles cited are merely listening suggestions; not to be taken as definitive recommendations. :P

For a much darker take on UK synthpop of the late 70s, try Fad Gadget's classic album "Fireside Favourites" on the MUTE label (the name in UK synthpop), or Fad's retrospective anthology "The Best Of Fad Gadget" I suspect these might be...ummmm..a little too dark, but there y'go. :)

Thinking more along the Split Enz vibe; I thought of another band who were earnest and articulate new wave pop types incorporating the judicious use of synths alongside a more traditional format: Talk Talk. I wouldn't like to recommend a particular track to suit your "dark synthpop" criteria, being insufficiently au fait with their oeuvre. But somebody else might? :)

No, no, no. Corey Hart is blatantly Pop, but who happens to have a coupla synths thrown in the songs. I'm thinking the poster wants songs that sounds more like "Silent Running" by Mike And The Mechanics or "Promises, Promises" by Naked Eyes. Stuff which has a subdued synthpop sound, but isn't exactly synthpop.