The Daily Trivia Game

Elvish

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yep... I never see that happen (as if!), but I know of the practice. I wonder how it originated. I'll go google...

and Marc, I don't read the entire question. some are repeats, so I already know the answer, and with others if there's an 'all' option, it's the one I pick. Otherwise I just match key words in the question and options. Probably why I go wrong :P :crazy:

In the United States, Denmark and Sweden, an apple (polished) is a traditional gift for a teacher. This stemmed from the fact that teachers during the 16th to 18th centuries were poorly paid, so parents would compensate the teacher by providing food. As apples were a very common crop, teachers would often be given baskets of apples by students. As wages increased, the quantity of apples was toned down to a single fruit

Glad I know that now :cool:

I remember my grandpa ( a teacher in a one room schoolhouse in the late teens & 1920's) telling stories of the naughty boys (seems it was always boys) bringing the teacher an apple with a worm hole (plus worm, if they were lucky) or a nasty rotten spot. Teachers' pets always brought a nice big, polished one.