Videos for Prospective Nominations: Post & View Them Here !

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I heard this a couple weeks ago, then again a few days ago and had to investigate. Both times I previously heard it, I did not know who the singer was but just really liked the message and the overall sound. I was pleasantly surprised when I discovered the artist.

If I Were A Boy - Beyonce

The video, as is usually the case on YouTube, is crap. But just listening to the words, I find this very sensitive and telling about the reality of today's surface "romances" that seem to focus on outward beauty.

".. I would listen to her, because I know how it hurts"

:thumbsdown: Waddaya think? :thumbsup:

..as for Beyoncé... sorry, never was a fan of RnB pop :crazy:

Yeah, but what about the song, man ... the song?

:elvis: Certainly not aiming this at Farin, but meant as a sort of general observation here, based on my own experiences brought about by TT participation. It's funny how we deplore labeling when it comes to people and places, but our discrimination holds on to us with a strong pull when applied to music genres. Sometimes it's tough to go beyond labels and really listen to content. :cool:

I did listen to it (not the whole song, I admit), and found that my stereotypes were true in this case...

maybe that means that you would be quite correct by us judging the book by its cover (or the song by its genre), I know that I'm not always above that :P

on the other hand that could be an advantage for when I'm nominating bands noone has heard of - in that case nobody knows the genre either :D

This is where I felt the PTTs had the most impact for me. Since I did listen to 50 of everyone's personal favorites and was many times out of my comfort range, I found myself studying and enjoying music I would have otherwise never even given the few minutes to hearing - simply because they were not my "type." Which is a descriptor I at one time felt would never apply to me, because of my thinking of myself as such an "open" person.

Very interesting ...

This is where I felt the PTTs had the most impact for me. Since I did listen to 50 of everyone's personal favorites and was many times out of my comfort range, I found myself studying and enjoying music I would have otherwise never even given the few minutes to hearing - simply because they were not my "type." Which is a descriptor I at one time felt would never apply to me, because of my thinking of myself as such an "open" person.

Very interesting ...

Thanks you, Ron2V... I would have never found the right words to say it. :cool:

Shannon, pls, will you nominate "Take a Letter, Maria" soon? I would vote for that song.

And whoever suggested "Joyfull Resurrection" -or had it in their PTT-, nominate it too... in case no one did, I´ll do it myself...

I changed my list just for you cherie, and Take a Letter, Maria will be nominated by moi in next week's ten! :D

I don't know how often I nominated them, and still they never made it :crazy:

I have been nominating a long list of faves of mine since the very first Top... "I´ve been hurt", "Love to love you baby" "Make me Smile" or any Leonard Cohen, Abba or Bee Gees song I love, among so many others... nada!! :grin: