Random Music Thoughts IV

Mike

• Replies 660
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I use 'is' because a band is a singular unit.

:cool:

Of course Beatles/Stones is plural, so that's 'are'

Dat make no sense to me.

A group, by definition, is a group (of people), so should be considered as an "are" not an "is".

The Killers are rubbish, but The Cure is splendid??? No, no, no. That is an affront to my sense of order. :crazy:

Okay, I'm curious... do you usually use 'is' or 'are' with a band? Singular or plural? For example-- 'The Verve is reuniting' or 'The Verve are reuniting'?

In fact, Seeker's initial question demonstrates the point perfectly. If "The Verve" is considered as a singular item, how can it reunite? Reuniting involves the bringing back together of constituent parts. Therefore it is implicit, even when the band's name is a "singular", that it (the band) is actually "a group". Surely.

Dat make no sense to me.

A group, by definition, is a group (of people), so should be considered as an "are" not an "is".

The Killers are rubbish, but The Cure is splendid??? No, no, no. That is an affront to my sense of order. :crazy:

:shades: group = singular!

The Killers = each band member is one 'Killer'

The Cure = ONE band

I'd say "The members of the Verve are reuniting", or "The Verve is reuniting"

btw... they ARE! :grin:

I can't get my head round the suggestion that the singularity/plurality of the actual band name should make a difference to whether one uses "is" or "are". If The Beatles had instead chosen to name themselves "The Beatle", would it be right to say "The Beatle is legendary"? No: it would surely be "The Beatle are legendary", (however "wrong" that may sound). Minor alteration to name, same four guys, same band. You wouldn't tolerate "The Beatles is still very popular", would you? No, because it is understood that The Beatles consisted of a group of people. Similarly, Led Zeppelin (which is a "singular") are highly influential, Coldplay are an abortion, U2 are overrated, Gold Blade are the dog's bollocks, etc.

I'm right and I claim my £5 ;)