Random Music Thoughts IV

Mike

I guess I should have made my question a little bit clearer, I am talking about bands/artists from the mid to late 90's and on. I have seen a few bands come around in that time frame and then disappear. I am not a huge fan but I think Nickelback may be a band that could stay around for the next 20 years.

And no I didn't know if the Stones would be on tour in 2007 back in the 70's but I did hope, as I did with my other favorites at that time.

• Replies 660
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:confused:

I've got nothing against The White Stripes.

I must confess that I don't understand why longevity would be used as a yardstick for anything other than...errrr...longevity. It's certainly no guarantee of quality. Too often it's the ones that you wish would stop that go on and on. Whether it be for egotistical reasons, the guarantee of a lifelong meal-ticket or lack of any alternative, being at or near the top of the "rock'n'roll tree" is a handy place to be, deservedly or not. Longevity can be a barrier to creative risk-taking, bands can become safe, stale and boring, (and their audience along with them).

I can see Coldplay going the distance, but I can't say I'm too thrilled at the prospect. :P

^agree with Coldplay... on both accounts :P

and the new White Stripes album "Icky Thump" is to be released this or next week :)

release dates: Germany - 15 June

rest of Europe - 18 June

rest of World - 19 June

Edited by Guest
we're first! :rockon:

Longevity can be a barrier to creative risk-taking, bands can become safe, stale and boring, (and their audience along with them).

Call me boring then, but I would not trade the bands I grew up with in the 60's and 70's for anything and I am thankful they are still around. At least I will have something to buy when I visit the record store. :grin:

Hey, I certainly wasn't suggesting that you're boring, S-J. God forbid!

Some of my favourite artists of recent times have been around for donkey's years: Nick Cave, for example, since fronting The Birthday Party in the late 70s and from the 80s onwards with The Bad Seeds. PJ Harvey has been around for 15 years and I can see her going on for at least another fifteen, at least. Pulp (often perceived as a "90s band"), have been on the go since the early 80s, and although they are currently in hiatus, I daresay they will resurface at points in the future. Julian Cope, (from the Teardrop Explodes) has been doing his own thing since the early 80s and will probably continue until death, or an alien spaceship, takes him. Scott Walker was a 60s pin-up idol as one of The Walker Brothers before going on to become something of a reclusive creative enigma, resurfacing periodically with another work of stirring genius.

Morrissey's been around quite a while, too...

What all of these artists share, apart from a maverick streak, is the willingness to shy away from the spotlight and spend time in creative backwaters, rather than be too concerned with world domination, "cornering markets"/"projected revenue-streams" or simply, a desire to remain famous.

Edited by Guest
forgot about Morrissey

If the majority of music fans think the music of a particular band is excellent and that band is rewarded with longevity...then I think longevity is an important indicator of what is defined as quality music. I can't believe that millions of people over a period of years can be duped in to listening to music that isn't good.

Just because something is commercially successful, doesn't mean it can't be of the highest quality.

Many people listen to and promote non-mainstream music for the sole purpose of being nonconformists. Bottom line..it's cooler and my tastes are better than yours.

What this argument boils down to is that we all have our own personal tastes in music and that is the beauty of it all. If a band from the 90's becomes broadly accepted and commercially successful...longevity will come their way.

Many people listen to and promote non-mainstream music for the sole purpose of being nonconformists. Bottom line..it's cooler and my tastes are better than yours.

Coolness seems to be a rather trivial reason to listen to non-mainstream bands... especially since finding them takes effort and a genuine desire to look for something different. Which is cool :cool:

I would never listen to a band/artist to be cool, I am cool on my own! :grin:

Seriously, I need to feel something from the music. It has to captivate me, pull me in heart and soul. As I said before music can be like a friend or lover, it can seduce you and satisfy you. And I haven't been seduced very much musically since about 1980. ;)

Whilst I can understand why one might think that of me, I can assure you that is not what I am about at all. Just like anybody else, much of the music I like, I like because it is familiar and feels comfortable. On the other hand , I also appreciate new and exciting musical experiences that challenge my boundaries, stuff that takes me out of the comfort zone into new territories. I'm way past caring about appearing cool or claiming superior taste...

The rest of your post makes some pretty reasonable points which I wouldn't dispute (much). However, don't you agree that there are bands who stick around long after passing their creative peak, who are almost guaranteed a market for the product based on name and status alone, even though they may be (creatively) unambitious, conservative, or, worse, "going through the motions". This could apply to bands of today's generation as much as any giants from yesteryear.

However, don't you agree that there are bands who stick around long after passing their creative peak, who are almost guaranteed a market for the product based on name and status alone, even though they may be (creatively) unambitious, conservative, or, worse, "going through the motions". This could apply to bands of today's generation as much as any giants from yesteryear.

Yep...once the machine is in motion some bands can and do hang around just to cash in....new music and creativity long gone....so it's fair to say (maybe) that legit longevity breeds a whole other phase of longevity that none of us needs.

There was a coin toss between Pete Townshend and Jimi Hendrix, and the Who won and went on first. But I suppose the last act leaves more of a lasting impression most of the time.

Great show though, I agree.

Edited by Guest
yes, there are toin cosses too. Don't ask me what they are though, because I don't know.

I played Jimi doing Like A Rolling Stone from the concert, my God that was just kick-azz!!

Jimi doing The Who one better to the joy of the crowd is the moment I remember from that film. To be there....priceless (as they say)

Jimi does a darned good Dylan...

Why do I suddenly feel like I'm in a "Seinfeld" skit and some dude is selling really high-quality sneakers?

:afro: :afro: :afro: :jester: :stars: