Random Music Thoughts IV

Mike

• Replies 660
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess I'm inclined to agree with Floydaholic, but only because I don't really like today's music (with a few exceptions), which doesn't necessarily mean it really is bad. It's just quite different and not really my kind of music... and I think music is something it's difficult to be objective about.

that reminded me of this quote:

[the teenagers Homer and Barney are doing an acapella version of "You Make Me Feel Like Dancing" in front of a mirror]

Middle-aged Grampa: What the Hell are you two doin'?

Young Barney: It's called rockin' out!

Young Homer: You wouldn't understan', dad. You're not *with it*.

Middle-aged Grampa: I used to be with it, but then they changed what *it* was. Now what I'm with isn't *it*, and what's *it* seems wierd and scary to me. It'll happen to you...

Would it please you if you were born in 1910? That way you wouldn't be able to choose from all the great music that has come out since. By the time rock n roll is born you'll be old and will think it stinks.

I would have liked to have been born in 1953 maybe, because I would be in my late teens when all my fave bands came out.

Well, I wouldn't remember music from the year 1990, would I??. And I only really started listening to music properly past the year 2000. Can you see where I am coming from now??. You mis-interpreted my post.

I don't think so... you seem to imply that because you were born in the 90s you're unlucky with music. I was born in 87 and the music I grew up with and remember most is stuff from the 90s. Suppose we exclude the first four years when you don't remember anything. I recall hearing very nice songs in 1991 that I rediscovered some years later. For you, that'd be 1994... right in the middle of the 90s, and as good a time as any... 1991-1997 I think resulted in a lot of good music. :)

Edited by Guest

I don't think so... you seem to imply that because you were born in the 90s you're unlucky with music. I was born in 87 and the music I grew up with and remember most is stuff from the 90s. Suppose we exclude the first four years when you don't remember anything. I recall hearing very nice songs in 1991 that I rediscovered some years later. For you, that'd be 1994... right in the middle of the 90s, and as good a time as any... 1991-1997 I think resulted in a lot of good music. :)

that's true! some of the best songs are those that I listened to with 5,6 or 7 years and rediscovered just recently :grin:

Edited by Guest

Although the newest album I have WAS released in June '07 (Memory Almost Full), I really don't like modern music. I do have a few exceptions, though. I don't mind when my brother plays Boys Like Girls or Plain White T's in the car off his iPod. (Preferably The Great Escape or Hey There, Deliah(?) respectively) I think personally that rap is crap. To me, it's all the same "song" with different words. I know people here'll disagree with me, but I'm just stating my opinion!

Maybe I'm just not being clear enough. I'm only talking about my own experience here. I don't really remember listening to music when I was younger. But I do remember "Ring Of Fire" by Johnny Cash anyway, because my parents had a Cd of him. I only really discovered music past the year 2000.

People's taste in music should never affect how you see them as a person.

Quite right, too. The fact that I happen to believe that The Kooks suckle upon Satan's corkscrew nipples does not mean that I think any less of those poor souls some thoroughly likeable people who actually dig them.

Has it? Has it really? That sounds a bit of a hairy canary to me.

Anyways: I thought you just said you were born in 1990??? :confused: So what evidence is your comparison based on? Hearsay? :shades:

The world in general just seems to have gotten crazier to me. And yes, you're probably right there.

I wish sometimes that I had been alive in the 60s and 70s, but have now come to realize that all such wishes are utterly futile and I'll just have to make the best of the time I'm living. Besides, with The Beatles, The Rolling Stones, Pink Floyd, etc. around (and still writing new songs regularly) as competition, it would be much harder for me to be successful as a musician. In any case, I'm here to be important in MY time rather than wish I was in someone else's.

Ok I was thinking about this last night while I was trying to fall asleep, I may regret putting this out there, but what the heck!

We got into a big discussion yesterday about music of today, what I want to know from those of you that are into todays music, is there a band/artist that you think will last as many years as say the Stones, Fleetwood Mac, Aerosmith, Heart, and so on? I am just asking because I am not really into todays music that much and the bands I listed have lasted a very long time, and they are still recording and touring. I am wondering and looking forward to some answers.

sure, there are quite a few...

RHCP, or R.E.M. for example or my favourite German band "die Ärzte"...

after all they already have been around for far more than 20 years

but on the other hand, did you know in 1975 that the Stones would still be on tour in 2007? ;)