Random Music Thoughts IV

Mike

• Replies 660
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Never again will there be bands like Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin, The Beatles, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Eagles, Thin Lizzt, Simon & Garfunkel and a good few other bands like that.

If there were, they'd be accused of being imitative or unimaginative. It's a lose-lose situation, unless you're willing to open your mind ;)

And I like the Arctic Monkeys and the Kooks too :grin: Not as much as some other bands, but more so than Pink Floyd, I'm afraid

Edited by Guest
me grammar sucketh

I was going to say pretty much the same thing as Radhi. If we had another band that sounds like The Doors, Zeppelin, Floyd, etc, they're just plain unoriginal. The reason these bands are special is because they own their sound. Nobody else sounds like them, and nobody ever will, and that's the way it's meant to be. Music has to evolve, it always has, just like any art form. We just have to respect the old and appreciate the new, or at the very last understand how somebody can respect the old and/or appreciate the new.

And for the record, The Arctic Monkeys and The Kooks rock. :rockon:

I like the Arctic Monkeys, the Kooks (what I've heard of them), Led Zep and Bowie

but I'm not a too big fan of Pink Floyd, Clapton or Michael Jackson (interesting to put him in this list btw)

now what? :grin:

Farin, I had to cringe when I saw Michael Jackson in the same breath as Clapton. :P

But I agree with floyd that there will not be bands that can stand up to some of the classic rock artists. I do like some newer bands, but I feel there is a lack of orginality in some bands. Not all but some seem like they just want to sound like a band that may be hot so they can be hot also. I look for a band/artist that has a sound the is unique to them and not something I may have heard from someone else. I am always looking for female artists to listen to.

I have neither the time nor the patience to respond in a way that does justice to the complexity of this subject. However, I have to say, I disagree with....oh...pretty much everything.

There is no way that "music" (rock and pop) can be "getting worse". What has happened is that there's a hell of alot more of it to choose from and, inevitably you will find that the music you see on your screens/in your magazines is that which is hyped/sponsored by the biz, or in the case of the big names from yesteryear, those bands which benefitted from similar hype/media credibility in the past. The result is that whilst there is an almost unimaginable amount of great music being created and released for your consumption, (and it's growing all the time), you need to make a conscious effort to look away from the mainstream to find it.

The vagaries of fashion and public opinion, the mythology surrounding certain names elevated to iconic status, contribute greatly to whether a band is remembered or forgotten, regardless of what they may have actually had to offer. Have you any idea how many excellent, talented and creative artists have been airbrushed out of history because they appeared in the wrong place at the wrong time (in relation to "market forces"), and what they provided was not what the public demanded?

Whilst not particularly a fan of "progressive rock", "psychedelic/space-rock" etc., I would wager that there is a plethora of talent out there, producing works as impressive, creative and mind-blowing as the "big-name" artists people always mention. It takes patience and commitment to root them out. The same applies to most genres. What makes modern music potentially so much more exciting is the cross pollination that occurs between apparently incongruous music forms, and the improved music technology that enables these bastard offspring to thrive.

End Of Part One ;)

Oh I have, it is just hard for me. Like I said I want a unique sound and not something that sounds like someone else. I like STP, Pearl Jam, Fuel, Wallflowers, and some others. I have heard a couple of female artists I want to hear more from, but just not a lot. I have not completely closed my mind off to newer artists.

Time has a way of clearing things up. Nobody gave a crap about Bach until he'd been in the grave 100 years. Robert Johnson was nobody until the 60's. Nick Drake was unheard of until 10 years ago. It always looks worse when you're in the middle of it.

"Starland Vocal Band? They Suck!" - Homer Simpson

Just to show that even the stuff we liked can turn into the "crappy music". I remember I used to listen to about 75 "hair-bands" when I was younger. How many of them are still remembered? Not many.

Listen to what you like and if someone else doesn't listen to what you like then read a book. People's taste in music should never affect how you see them as a person.

I am 37 years old, and have a music collection that contains stuff from the '60's to today. I have never had a problem finding music that I like. I do like a lot of the mainstream stuff, though, but I have been introduced to stuff outside of it through the people on this site.

Keep your ears and your mind open and I'm sure you'll find something to like no matter what decade you live in.

Like a big s curve, the creative ebb and flow of society moves in lifetime cycles of 70 or so years. The last "dark ages" was the great depression of the 1930's. The last "high point" was the mid 1970's which coincided with multitudes of bands producing many great songs. Right now we should be close to the low point again expecting a rebirth from society. In my humble opinion.

:cool:

People's taste in music should never affect how you see them as a person.

If you read my post, and responded with this, you have gotten the wrong end of what I was saying. I don't judge people because of their music taste, I just find it interesting that alot of my friends like alot of the same music I do. And of course I have some friends who's music taste I don't really like, but I'm still friends with them, because I don't judge someone on their music taste.

Like a big s curve, the creative ebb and flow of society moves in lifetime cycles of 70 or so years. The last "dark ages" was the great depression of the 1930's. The last "high point" was the mid 1970's which coincided with multitudes of bands producing many great songs. Right now we should be close to the low point again expecting a rebirth from society. In my humble opinion.

:cool:

I agree with you there, I would very much like to hope that what you are saying here will happen. Because it desperately needs to happen!!.

Maybe it isn't the music that's ebbing and flowing, but the people?

"Ebb and flow

Let it grow

Feel the warmth beside you"

Well, I suppose that you could be right. The 70's couldn't last forever. But in general music has gone down since then, and so has society. I just hope that there's some sort of "BOOM!!" soon, and I'd like to be a part of that. I'm gonna try get myself out there. I have to join a band first. :D

that's not what I mean, really. I mean maybe just the people the music caters to changes and the music itself remains stable. And since no one style of music is universally liked, yet all styles of music have takers, therefore we are really in no position to say that the quality of music is going down.